Freedom, Love or Money? What do you choose?

Great Gatsby, movie
Great Gatsby, movie

That is what the Great Gatsby von F. Scott Fitzgerald has taught me:

Jay Gatsby, a poor boy who is dreaming of his big love. Separated through the class distinction. He works until he becomes a millionaire. She is always his goal. He would throw exaggerate big parties like you only could seen it in the 1920s. Always with the hope she would arrive.

One day she did and so they began to rebound and start an affair. Levitating through pomp and circumstance. She is lovely but cruel. One time she drives drunk and kills a woman. Gatsby takes the blame.

All he desired to hear are only two sentences:“I love Gatsby and want to restart a new life with him only" Her saying those words in front of her then husband. But she never say those words.

By the end she decides to leave him without him knowing, in the Last minute he dies, He awaits a call from her saying those words without knowing that would never happen, one last time he's hearing the phone ringing.

The husband of the woman who was killed in the Car accident would shot him while he awaits the call from her saying those words full of Euphoria. The sad thing: it's not even her that calls.

No one arrives at his funeral. Not the guests, Not the Great love, the many guests who did not personally know the host out of sheer ignorance, in part invited themselves, simple-minded continued with their lives as if nothing had happened. A man can fall and not a speck of dust stirs.

I have always been a happy and conscious lone fighter. Love is a beautiful puddle on which a rainbow is reflected, but it is also as deep as an ocean that devours you. Unpredictable whether you drown or swim. Some say it is an illusion to preach morality and reason.

My theory: There is no such thing as great love.

You can have a child and be happily married. You can love, you can love someone else too, so that's not the problem. Returning to the problem is just how long?

We humans are adaptable. No matter what situation we are in, we learn to accept it and adapt. But, ever noticed that our brain constantly brainwashed in which we accept memory but did not take place or are different than we retrieve them. Nothing is and remains original. You are not the same person after two months. You can still love him after a thousand years, but one day logic will tell you something else.

5286

Most Helpful Guys

• Money buys freedom, freedom makes it easier to love. Boom solution.

• Sir I really appreciate your answer. Ayy caramba.

• Freedom doesn't necessarily lead to love even though I agree with money leading to freedom because you don't need to worry about providing living necessities.
      Some people lose the capability of loving by becoming narcissistic or obsessive about other things, like money.
      I would chose love over money because it will be much more meaningful on your death bed.

• If you know how to control yourself then yes, money buys freedom.

Most Helpful Girl

• Books

• The Reason I voted this answer: Education>Money>Freedom>Independent = Happines

• nope. just bc u r educated doesn't mean u'll be rich. lots of educated arts, history, or literature major who are broke as shit

Join the discussion

5184
  • I choose freedom, the other three will be worked towards achieving but when you don't have freedom the others are un achievable

• I choose money.
    Money is freedom and love is a delusion that is caused by brain chemistry.
    Money is real.
    Money can also buy a woman who is a good enough actress to convince me that she loves me.

• The truth, sir.

• @cth96190 no offence but I'm a young man in my 20s... Not someone your age.

• @Full_Metal_Jacket
      Your age makes you more vulnerable, because you have raging hormones and have not lived long enough to see all the ways that women will destroy the lives of men, usually out of spite or for shits and giggles.
      Please be careful, because the entire apparatus of the state is poised to destroy you.
      There is no justice for men.

• If I had to pick one of 3 in this life. I will go without the love because I have plenty freedom and will run into money..

But if i was told I get one thing and rest 2 will be taken from me.. Then..

I will Pick FREEDOM..

• “What people call "love" is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage.” From rick and morty but still very true.

• I must agree. Love is just an illusion a belief, like some people whorshipping religious Prophete.

• Very good comparison. As a species we cannot seem to separate love and sex. And that’s why it’s always a big deal to people.

• Freedom and Love.
    Love is born out of Freedom. I will not start to love a woman who is appointed my wife. Thus, I need freedom to find a woman to whom I would feel a tornado of emotions.
    Now, love and freedom create money. There are two ways this happens:
    1) Work More Outcome.
    This happens when a person, with freedom to choose their work, and motivated by love, decides to work more in order to make more money. Alternately, the person may work smarter (example: start a business.) Regardless, freedom + love = career + motivation.

2) Work No More Method.
    In this method, having both freedom and love, the person will be able to work no more than they do already, but have more money. This, of course, requires both parties to be onboard. When the couple finds happiness in taking a stroll in the park, as opposed to going to the movies, they save money. When they live together, they save rent money. The couple can work no more than they do as two individuals, but because of their attitude, and because of circumstance, they are able to save money. (The relationship itself becomes a source of entertainment, thus saving money otherwise spent on a variety of things, such as: clubbing, video games, numerous one time dates.[Of course this depends of the type of relationship)) And so, freedom + love still provides wealth.

• I always hated Daisy in that book! Seems to me that she got not only the love life that she wanted, but the one she deserved. as far as how long does great love last? only as long as both take care of it. Plus Love Changes over time. When you're 50 and have hardly any hormones left, it's more about that person being your best friend and your true companion. But don't be surprised how many seniors have great sex lives

• To me, Gatsby didn't truly love Daisy, but the image of her. He's always been ambitious and wanted to reach richness and to be of high social class. Daisy resembles that. She's rich, and belongs to an old money family. That's exactly what Gatsby wanted to be a part of. She's the green light at the end of the dock that resembles money and high status, exactly what Gatsby was after.
    Gatsby was blinded by the her image, to see her true persona; a selfish shallow, and a materialistic woman.

• Well I already have freedom and love is unnecessary for me now.
    So I'll take money.
    But my true desire above that is power. Not political or financial or any of that stuff. True power.

• True power is deep within you, Sasuke. But don't let the power fool you or else you lose your friends go to the wrong side and eventually kill your own brother. So be careful, Sasuke.

• I know what he did for me. I won't kill him. But I will execute the current 5 Kage and end this malignant system by becoming hokage.

• Money...

lets be honest... both freedom and love is only possible with enough money.

• My interpretation was considerably different. It was not that their is no great love, it was that a man created an idea of the woman and fell in love with that so the woman he loved never truly existed to begin with. It was not that you cannot love, it was that love cannot come first, that is you cannot love a person then get to know them, you must know them, you must understand who they are then you can love them, anything else results in you loving a fictional version of the person and that will only lead you to misery as the person will never be able to measure up to this unrealistic person you have in your head.

• Technically freedom implies the freedom to love, it would also imply the ability to make or have money. So I guess I would choose freedom.

• Money=freedom if you have it in your control or if love exists unconditionally.

Love I mean, not always romantic it can be within your family.

Love in a romantic what was and is a curse for me.

• I choose true love, one where both lovers change in the same pace and for the same direction, so they are both different than they used to be, but they are still perfect for one another.
    this kind of love is worth than anything money could buy. it also sets you free, because no matter what life throws at you, you are never alone. someone's always got back.

• Freedom, money, and love are all possible.

With money, as long as it is not your driving passion, comes freedom. And to me, love is an action, rather than a feeling, so I can love through the highs and lows of life.

• Money. Money can't manipulate me like how people can take advantage of love. Money don't have feelings so I control them. Also I can use money to get love. I can't use love to get money.

• Money > Freedom > Love.

The positive side of each of them is great

But the darker side of each of them, I can deal with all but love.

• Freedom, love, money
    I can surely live and die a lone solider... but love without freedom is rather useless

• I'd pick love if I could only have one, because I now have more money than I did before and I feel worse and unhappy.

• Money. Because if you have money, you have freedom to do whatever you want. And time to find love.

• That's logical.

• Well, considering I have no riches, it would be an easy choice. Even if I did though, I'd still give it up.
      Money doesn't give you companionship and affection. It's just lifeless pieces of paper you can exchange for stuff.

• Having time to find love doesn't mean you will find it. Money won't guarantee the love either.

• 5d

Money does give you freedom however most people try to show they have money going in debt for expensive house cars etc. You gain freedom when you learn the secret of loving what you have and being content. So you can live an easier more fruitful life.

• Freedom. You can get both the others from freedom.

If you need money to survive, you're not free yet - you're bound by money. But if you're not so bound, you can make money much easier as you don't have to worry about just surviving, and can plan long term which is way more profitable. And with freedom, you can find a partner much easier, because you can be true to yourself without having to worry about fitting molds, and then someone who wants to share in your freedom and appreciates your personality is much more likely to be able to notice you.

Money can often come with restrictions. A CEO has to always watch their appearance and appeal to shareholders. A Doctor has a super-busy schedule. Those who just inherit their money even are generally beholden guidelines their parents have set down. The list goes on. Money can often hamper freedom depending on how it's achieved.
    Love... well, if it's just handed to you on a silver platter, it feels kind of cheap.

• Money pays bail and makes the world love you. Love is like any product. And like any product, the real one is not worth what it costs.

• Love without doubt and in a blink of an eye love is the greatest feeling in the world nothing can touch it and I do believe it will conquer all sadly many people are not able to do that including myself we have great difficulty meeting a partner due to my disability caused by a stroke and heart attack 12 months ago but I know what the feelings like and I miss it totally and completely and I have money and I have freedom and I would swap it all for true love and a soulmate but I'm sure I'll find her the universe is full of infinite possibilities everyday I wake up

• Money. They say it can’t buy happiness but that’s a lie.

• Probably freedom, everyone who chose money you're just greedy

• What exactly would it look like to have money but no freedom?

• money = freedom
    money = lots of women = lots of love

so, money

• Money can also attract a lot women who pretend to love you but really are gold diggers

• Being a provider for a woman doesn't make her love you necessarily. There is more of a social aspect to it as well where the trust between you and her needs to be develop before love can.
      Strippers / Prostitutes don't fall in love with their clients even when they are showered with money.
      You need to retain the ability to love yourself and others for that love to be returned. Money will never guarantee this. There are plenty of lonely and depressed rich people who try to buy love but fail.

• @Bolgavets do u know any of them?

• Freedom comes first, then Money. Love to me is now very unreal.

• Freedom. Then again, Love. But I'll choose Freedom since that's what I was thinking about for a long time.

• Money would be mine answer coz money can provide u freedom and love both though that it will fake love but still it will be love

• Freedom - Already have it.
    Love - Don't want a girl to love me because i made it that way... So no.
    Money - Thank you very much!! (winner)

• Money can not buy love or happiness...
    freedom... you can be free to live and to make money...

• I will choose two. I choose freedom and money both. I don't need love in my life. I am fully capable of leading a loveless life.

• Freedom !!! because with it you can also get money and love.

• Freedom If u have freedom means u have plenty of time. U can make money by yourself. U can study by yourself. U can do whatever u want

• Money so that way you can mask your issues with a false sense of happiness.

• I think it's money, too. freedom is just a gorgeous coat. The foundation of a democratic society is the establishment of the material basis

• Freedom and liberty is sweet.
    But it cannot acquire love actively nor earn some cash actively.

Love is sweet but a double edged sword
    Love tends to restrict freedom (unless it's "true" love) and actually costs money - that is if you are the guy.

Money talks and rules it all.
    With the right amount of money you are a free person and can get anywhere and do anything and get out of consequences.
    And you can buy fake love via girlfriend experiences and happy endings massages as long as you have the cash. But we got them unlimited in this case and (fake) love and sex fulfills that need. For us men at least.

So I choose MONEY!!!
    Money is everything!*

* virtually everything. 99% of all things can be bought with cold cash.

• Freedom, so you can earn money and enjoy love in peace.

• Money doesn’t buy you happiness but it can buy you choices, then freedom.

• To me, Gatsby never really loved her. He wanted her affection and validation so that he could be okay with himself. He was never enough in his own mind and pursued her with all the things.

I think of the story The Greatest Showman. An example of a man who is actually in love, but facing the same problem of self acceptance. He has everything he wants. The love of his life, a family he loves, his passion project coming to life and wildly successful. But it's not enough, because in his heart he's still the poor boy who no one respects or approves of and he has to mercilessly work for that approval. When he never needed it.

Hugh Jackman is talented af by the way lol

• Money. With money, you can make a demon to be your dog. It's all about how you use it.

• I like the movie and the book. Bottom line the characters are all corrupt. They are all spoiled rich people with first world problem. Even Gatsby. He didn’t know when to cut his loses and let go. Plus he was a narcissist. He might have started poor but he had many many many breaks.

He was an officer in the military. That’s a break. He was socially connected to super rich individuals that’s a break. I would not necessarily apply the principles in this story to real life. It is distorted. Granted there are people just as corrupt as the characters in real life. Still I would not use it as the standard.

I would chose money. Income creates financial freedom that creates actual freedom. Financial stability and freedom will attract a love.

• Plants... they dont lie, they aren't interested in your financial situation...

• If you have money in this world you have everything, everything have a price here. EVERYTHING

• money brings freedom, freedom brings love love brings happiness :D

• Ideally all three... If I really had to choose freedom!

• Freedom, because when you have that you have EVERYTHING!

• Freedom beats love and money combined by a factor of 20. There is nothing like freedom.

• Choose them all. They're not exclusive to each other.
    And love is about GIVING, not what you GET out of it.

Show More
85