The Spiritual Problem of the "Death of God"

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

this statement written by Friedrich Nietzsche almost 140 years ago is one of the most famous and controversial statements ever written in all philosophy. Nietzsche didn't actually mean that God is dead, rather that our idea of God was. He believed that the world no longer needed God as the source for all morality, value, or order in the universe, philosophy and science were capable of doing that for us and should take the place religion used to have.

Nietzsche believed this to be a good thing for some people, but also very difficult and risky. He believed that it would turn out to be one of the biggest problems for the modern individual and it would possible bring out the worst of our human nature. With more and more people realising the origin of humans and of our human nature, that we are not the center of the universe, and that the meaning of life isn't what we used to believe, Nietzsche believed that we would unavoidably fall into a state of despair, pessimism or nihilism because of this.

The Spiritual Problem of the

What I relate is the history of the next two centuries. I describe what is coming, what can no longer come differently: the advent of nihilism... For some time now our whole European culture has been moving as toward a catastrophe.

How totally different did the world appear to medieval man! For him the earth was eternally fixed and at rest in the centre of the universe…Men were all children of God under the loving care of the Most High, who prepared them for eternal blessedness; and all knew exactly what they should do and how they should conduct themselves in order to rise from a corruptible world to an incorruptible and joyous existence. Such a life no longer seems real to us, even in our dreams.

- Carl Jung

With this existential uncertainty brought to us be the decline of religion, we all feel insignificant or uncertain or even worthless at one point in our life. With the realisation that the only one who can truly judge us, is our selfs, the only option seem to be that our psyche turns uncertain about everything metaphysical and leaves us in an existential crisis. This can turn detrimental for our psyche, and our consciousness will start to self-regulate in an unconscious manner to try to bring the psyche back to normal state. This will lead to that we start looking for answers that we can not possible find, and none the less, we will actually believe that we have found them.

Thus our unconsciousness will start to lie to us, in a way of trying to repair our consciousness and bring us back to a normal and healthy psychological state.

Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.
― Fyodor Dostoevsky,

The Spiritual Problem of the

This is the danger of the increasing realisation of "the death of God" and of Atheist who have not consciously thought out their new Ideals.

If we let our unconsciousness lie to us, then we no longer are in control over our own mind. We will no longer be able to think for our selves, and then there are no way of knowing what other ideologies our mind will manifest itself to. this we can see in marxist/socialists, feminists and of course in religious people.

Small and hidden is the door that leads inward, and the entrance is barred by countless prejudices, mistaken assumptions, and fears. Always one wishes to hear of grand political and economic schemes, the very things that have landed every nation in a morass. Therefore it sounds grotesque when anyone speaks of hidden doors, dreams, and a world within. What has this vapid idealism got to do with gigantic economic programmes, with the so-called problems of reality?

But I speak not to nations, only to the individual few, for whom it goes without saying that cultural values do not drop down like manna from heaven, but are created by the hands of individuals. If things go wrong in the world, this is because something is wrong with the individual, because something is wrong with me. Therefore, if I am sensible, I shall put myself right first. For this I need—because outside authority no longer means anything to me—a knowledge of the innermost foundations of my being, in order that I may base myself firmly on the eternal facts of the human psyche.

- Carl Jung

414

Most Helpful Guy

• I thouroughly enjoyed reading that. I enjoy reading level headed religious things that allow me to question my beliefs and attempt to understand the beliefs of others more. It was quite interesting, and had me thinking of a world void of religion, and what would happen if we slowly started phasing out religion. What would the world look like in 100 years if everybody stopped being religious? What if America and a few other countries, likely eastern ones like Japan who are very superstitious were the only ones left with a large religious/superstitious populus? It certainly raises some interesting questions.

• Thank you and I coudnt agree more with you. It seems almost unavoidably that one day religion won't exist anymore, or at least that their will be a very small precentage of the population that will stay religious. And that is why I belive it to be very important that we pay atention to what the good things about religion has been, and how to replace them with equally and even more important belives with facts and truth to support them and to guide us morally.

• I'm not sure if religion will every cease to exist. People like to have something to believe in, and you can't blame them for that. The more violent aspects of religion might get filtered out, but I think ultimately it will lead to a far more peaceful religion which would pretty much just exist to give people hope and help them and all that stuff religion is supposed to do.

I also don't think that we should pay more attention to the good things religion has done if it means forgetting the harm it has caused. It is always important to remember all the bad as well as the good to prevent histor from repeating itself. If holy wars and corrupt religious officials were all forgotten in favour of only remembering the people that were made happier and given hope from their religion, it would likely only lead to history repeating itself.

Whilst I may not be religious myself, I do hold some hope that my ideal idea of religion will turn out to be more than just a fantasy, and that people will adopt that ideaology. It's something that I could certainly get behind and might even consider joining because there's no threats to non-believers or anything, it would simply be about spreading peace and love and hope.

Join the discussion

413
  • What makes it really sad is that these same people who made these statements eons ago are agents of the father the devil, the father of all lies. People know in their hearts that God is real. They just hate God. They hate a 'GOD' they don't even personally know. Don't want to know, don't even care to know. These same people get involve with believers who do, yet get jealous when such people devote their time to God. Or an 'invisible sky daddy' to these people. Another flaw in this argument is that God is not in the Sky, and the sky is all around us! He is not in the same jurisdictions of time like we are. He holds the world, the whole universe, universes, dimensions, etc in the palm of his hands. How cool is that? But also scary.

What makes it interesting is that at least 3 times in Psalms, it says this: 'Men say in their hearts THERE IS NO GOD.' That was and still is my favorite scripture because it speaks the reality. How can such people speak about the death of God, yet they don't believe in God? Or that there is a God? Hmmm. Makes no rational sense to me. In fact, there is nothing rational about it. God is real and exists, at the end of the day. He doesn't care if you believe or not. He cares for his people and those that believe in him. He cares because he loves us all, yes. But he doesn't care for the garbage. He wants a relationship with us, not just be worshipped. When we love him we worship him. When we honor his commandments and honor others, we also honor him.

If God was to come down right NOW, wonder what people are going to say or do? They'll scream and freak out like in the movies in apocalyptic scenes. They mock somebody they don't know, and something they refuse to understand. Yet it not only affects them, but it also affects everybody. This is a great read indeed. But I also believe that you can go in depth with it. One dimensional people are never going to get it though.

• I hate god like you hate leprechauns and unicorns and the tooth fairy. Not everyone thinks like you.

• You don't even know God so how can you hate somebody you don't even know that's just sound so stupid. People don't have to think like me, but people still got rules and regulations to follow for the safety and out of the care of others. If you want to go to hell that's your choice. Nobody sends you there but you. If you want your existence to be wiped out, go right on ahead.

• You're the one who said "They just hate GOD". But you are right, I don't hate God. I don't hate unicorns or leprechauns or the tooth fairy or Zeus or Voldemort or Darth Vader either, because none of the are real.

• well it only worked for some of us. some are still inclined to think that assume something as true just by virtue of it not having been disproven yet is a viable way to understand the world around you. i think i've read it's a genetic issue even.

• GOD is above the dome lol
    ONLY IDIOTS DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAcp3BFBYw4

• I wouldn't say he's dead, so much as collective hubris has gotten us to a point of wishing he were. The ultimate short-sightedness. Men want to be their own gods. And it always ends badly.

• I think humans don't necessarily need a god for meaning. We derive meaning already out of things. Some of us have a career aspiration, some want a family, and so on. The search for meaning is really about choosing to make one.

I don't think a God is needed for morality. I mean people who do things because it's what their religion told them to are just following orders because someone else has said it. Morality, like meaning, can be constructed. In fact, we as a society have constructed a code of ethics in a way.

I think Nietzsche was right with saying "God is dead." God lacks relevancy in the modern world.

• yes I agree, I also believe Nietzsche was right and I also believe him to be right about what he feard would follow. I agree with your view on meaning, but the problem with it is that the new things people find meaning in are very easily corrupted or even destroyed. Family members die, we can lose our jobs, and so on. everyone asks and wonders about what is the meaning of life, but a better question would be; why does man need a meaning to life?

• Wow you are way off on everything. First Religion is NOT needed but God is. Second you can't kill God because he's outside the space time continum and second he's artificial intelligence created by the very first race of aliens to have existed in a different universe which again is an oxymoron in itself because time is one big circle it begins the same way it ends with one big bang that was done by God himself

• It's interesting that society crumbles as degeneracy become more and more common place all because a bunch of people started believing separating morality from Christianity was a good idea.

The evidence is plain to see.

• Not really. The most religious countries are the most violent. The US is the most violent Western country and also the most religious.

• In other words you are ignoring the data and simply making unsubstantiated claims.

• @slatyb Nope not even a little bit.

• Nietzsche makes a good point. They all do in fact. When we remove a moral foundation for our society, chaos ensues. Usually in the form of great evil wrapped in the trappings of idealism.
    Personally, I don't believe it is possible to fabricate a moral system in yourself and for yourself. Those who try always base it off of the one they were given. Usually when with Judeo Christian roots. I also believe the last people understand their moral system, on a society level, the more superstition increases.

• I can't say whether somebody's religion is right or not and whether God exists in the traditional sense or whether there's something else or nothing else at all. I have my own beliefs, but i can;t prove anything one way or another, either can any human really.

But i do believe humans need that aspect of mythology in their lives. Humans seem to do better when that aspect of mythology exists in their lives. Without it, humans become somehow less whole and more cynical and seem to not be able to accomplish as much. Belief can do amazing things. whether that belief presets particles for positivity or is founded in some other unknown aspect of quantum physics I don't know, but seems to be the case. Humans seem to do better, overall, with that aspect of mythology as part of their existence

• God is real, jesus is real. If you don't wanna beleive in that it's your choice but you can't force us to stop talking about God or change our Christian culture

• This is not a matter of trying to tell you cannot be Christian, it is a matter of philosphy and the idea that man has "lost god" due to science and philosphy taking over the role that god filled - essentially just a moral arbiter that some people believe in, and some people do not.

I am not religious as you can probably tell, but you don't have to be understand what is trying to be said here. For many hundreds of years, gods and stories of gods were used almost like metaphors (take a look at the Greek gods for example) and ways to attempt to keep people under control, yes, but also to act as a kind of moral compass. "My religion says this x is bad, therefore I believe that x is bad".

The point I believe Nietzsche is trying to get across is due to the ever advancing fields of science and philosophy, man no longer relies on the guidance of gods for morality or to understand the universe around them. As science advances and we learn more about our universe, we learn more incorrect things in the bible, and as philosophers pose new questions and new ideas, mans reliance on a god for their morality decays ever more.

You are still free to believe in Christianity if you wish, just as Muslims are free to practice their religion, Buddahs theirs and so fourth. Nobody is saying otherwise, not here anyway. And after I've wrote I just saw that you are 13... All that probably went over your head, didn't it?

• @slatyb I can't claim to speak for the several million Americans who voted for Drumpf with regard to their salvation. The architects of Apartheid claimed they were Christians. The slavers in the Deep South did.

It didn't make them correct.

@B15h0P I chose Christianity aged 13. 33 years later I still choose Christ. I looked for answers why my younger brother was killed in a lot of places. Astrology, Islam, Buddhism, to name a few. The only answers that gave me peace were in Christ.

I've met 13 year old with more maturity than men in their 40s. Or some claiming adulthood with nothing better to do than criticise a 13 year old for daring to have a faith they themselves cannot comprehend.

• I also used to be against christianity probably until a year ago. I found my own evidence that my faith is true.
      Trump did some wrong things just like all of us did. That doesn't make him a non Christian

• Everyone who reads this discussion do yourself a big favor and read the books called, "On Being a Christian" by Hans Kung and for the more intellectuals, the other book By Hans Kung called, "Does God Exist". Hans Kung is the most renowned theologian of our time and critically explores all of the great philosophers and thinkers such as Descartes, Marx, Nietzsche, Freud and others and lastly his latest book, "The Beginning of All Things" where he brilliantly argues that religion and science are not mutually exclusive but complementary. I can't begin to expound on what only Hans Kung can do so intelligently so if you have any interest in what the great spiritual and philosophical minds have to say please read these books by Hans Kung.

• I'm pretty sure you can't kill someone who doesn't exist.

• How can something be dead if it never lived? (Insert the black guy meme here)

• GOD IS EVERLASTING

• Prove it :)

• @jacquesvol indeed within the heavens and earth are signs even night and day are signs but people are just blind.

• Samantha4 Hazard combined atoms to molecules. It won't happen again: a one in a zillion happenstance.

• The current God is way too masculine. The real true God was a homosexual hair-dresser. I know because I've talked to God on many occassions.

• Does your god even exist?

• This is deep man.