What I’ve learned from religion and non religious family

jennifer_bloom

From around age 19 and onwards, I had a problem where I could not let people get away with things, if somebody behaved in a way that I considered to be inexcusably bad, I would go almost mad looking for affirmations or seeking ways to make sure they paid for it. At the time, I thought my obsession with reward and punishment came from my fixation with bible laws.

But I realized from watching my dad invent and fabricate non existent reasons to vilify and demean others, that my desire to punish bad acting people was a learned response I acquired by observing my dads behaviour towards me and my moms behaviour towards my dad, and I realized, that many times people confuse the expression of their own unspiritual human nature, with the true expression of God’s nature.

So my new goal from now on, is to let things slide and not try to enforce due payment every time I’m slighted or given less than I deserve.

3
1
1Girl Opinion
3Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• love_conquers_lust

I wouldn’t beat yourself up. The bible is not air tight. The Old Testament is about eye for an eye, and the New Testament about forgiveness: one can be exploited, the other can be heartless. I wish I could give solid guidance beyond the ten commandments, but it is so grey and situational. We have biological programming, and we have conscience that can override it. We submit to our biology when it suits us, and we defy it when it suits us. The ability to defy our instincts really is what sets us apart from other animals, our greatest blessing and greatest curse.

If someone causes harm to you, you should seek restitution AND forgiveness. If they abided by the golden rule after they accept your forgiveness, they would do everything they could to make amends.

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?
  • Avicenna

It's interesting how much you've gotten from religion that has benefited you in daily life, things I hadn't even thought about in some cases.

Like 1 Person
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

11
  • duttyjamagyal

Didn't need religion to tell me all this basic shit

Reply
  • LemiaOfChampions07

Thank you for sharing

Like 1 Person
    Reply