Buying a Dog? Be Sure to Consider All the Options

bente2

I'm aware this myTake is a little bit of a weird topic to post on here.. But I think it deserves a spot because I deem it important.

Too many people are buying dogs. This has always been a problem, but lately, with all the instagram posts and not to mention "puppy fever season", it's been brought to my attention that too many people are either buying the wrong dogs, or dogs from the wrong place. So here's things to consider when adding a new member to your family.

A dog is a family member

Yes, a dog is an animal. So are we. Even though I disagree with people that replace their need for children with a dog, it's still basically a child. If you see dogs (or any animal, for that matter) as just pets, don't adopt one. Because that dog could've been part of someone else's family, and actually taken good care of. If you aren't planning on treating a dog as a family member, it shouldn't be in your hands. A dog (especially puppies) take a lot of time to raise and can be as smart as a young toddler.

A dog takes time and effort

If you are planning on adopting a dog, but you work a 9-5 job and can't take more than a couple weeks of work, don't get a puppy, or a dog with abandonment issues. Puppies should be with you 24/7 for at least a month, often times longer before you can even think about working half days again. Then there's training, potty training and obedience take a while to teach. What I'm saying is, don't get a dog when you don't have the time for the dog, or are unwilling to put in the effort.

Picking the right dog

A lot of people want a puppy. And I get that, they're cute and like children, minds are most influenced when young.

But, as stated before, puppies take time. A lot of time. I'm not saying any adult dog won't, you'll still have to flip around your entire schedule for them, but they don't need you to be home for at least a month, a week or two will often do. Older dogs are generally easier to adopt too, since what you see is what you get. A puppy that was very energetic and social can easily turn into a lazy mess. An adult dog already had its personality formed, so you know exactly if it's a snug fit.

Picking a breed is also hard. Do I want a smaller dog? Medium? Large? Mutt? Most people go wrong here. Once you've figured out if you have the time for a pup or would rather get a golden oldie (or just a regular adult), it's time to start looking at breeds. Many people tend to go just for looks. And while looks are important- you'll want to be happy every time you see your pup's appearance- character matters most.

Take labs for example. A lot of people get Labradors because they're seen as 'family dogs'. Why? I have no clue. Labradors are retriever dogs, meaning they're working dogs. A lot of families don't have time to walk the dog for two to three hours a day or do retrieving work with it. So, it gets fat, and lazy. I've never seen a healthy lab with a family before. None of them let the dog work. Just like border collies, labs need to work. If their tummy is a straight line, and it's difficult to feel their ribs, they are too fat.

Then there's always the option of shelter dogs. Advantages of shelter dogs are: They're often mixed breeds, which have less hereditary diseases as pedigrees. German shephards, for instance, have been bred so that their butt is positioned too low, and often get hipdysplasia.

Also, as I said before, there's a lot of adult shelter dogs, and you can see the personality. Most shelter dogs will be 'grateful'. You will feel better saving a shelter dog too, since you've just saved a life from possible death.

Getting an actual dog

If you've still decided shelter dogs aren't your thing, for whatever reason, beware of puppy mills. These are bad breeders that are just in it for the money. Recognizing puppy mills: will often have more than two breeds of dogs to be breeding with. Two is a max, above that makes it difficult for the breeder to actually be invested in the breed.

You cannot see the puppies before actually buying one, or will be given a puppy when you walk in. This makes it very hard for someone not to buy one.

The puppies aren't being raised in home, but are in a shed or room instead. (Being in a room is fine when they are very, very little, but not once they've opened their eyes) pups need to be socialized, so if they aren't used to humans or homely noises you will tell. They get shy or hide etc.

With smaller breeds, there are more than two-five pups per litter. Small dogs don't get that many pups, so some of those puppies are from another litter.

The mother dog isn't there, or is 'gone atm' and you can't wait until she returns. This is a clear sign of puppy mill. No responsible breeder will keep mommy away when you have scheduled an appointment.

The parents or pups haven't been tested for hereditary diseases, de wormed or given their first shots.

Also, don't buy a puppy at some sort of 'market' where cages are stacked on top of each other.

Costs of a dog

Dogs are expensive. Buying a fog can cost you from €50 to €20000 or even more. The average annual cost is high too. Food, vet trips, etc etc.

The first year (on average)

dog bed: €50

leash and collar: €30

food: €300

toys: €30

vet: €300 (checkup, vaccination and chipping)

total cost: €710

and this is just MY costs. Don't have me started on bigger pooches.

In conclusion, don't get a dog if you can't live up to the standards. Thanks for reading and if you have any questions, whether personal or about this take, feel free to ask in the comments below.

11
8

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    Buy a fish. A fish is the most low-maintenance animal you can keep as a pet. In the realm of pet ownership, a fish is the best starter pet.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Saoirse_Nua
    Fantastic take - So mature for a teen
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

710
  • snowangle
    I work at the humane society and you are absolutely right. People drive me crazy sometimes with how little they know. Most often, I see people wanting a husky just because they like the blue eyes, but they know literally nothing about the breed. Truth is, huskies are not easy pets! They're great dogs when you know how to train them, but I certainly wouldn't recommend them for first time owners.

Also, people are too quick to write off mixed breeds or adult shelter dogs. When, in reality, mutts are healthier than purebreds and adult dogs are a great option for those who don't have time for a puppy. I adopted my mutt when she was 2 and she's exactly what I wanted and needed in a pet. She has some baggage, sure, but that's no reason for someone to write her off (she just has a touch of anxiety). She's smart, loving, loyal, obedient, and she came to us already housebroken. I can't say enough good things about rescue dogs.

Anyway, I could rant about this for pages. Thanks for this take!
    • bente2

Lol, same, I could rant about it forever too. It annoys me so much!

• PrincessPanda
    Ugh you're lucky if you dog only has one bed in the first year. But I guess it depends if it's a puppy. My boy has 5 collars 3 leashes, kibble and canned food, the vet bills (there's shit tons in their first year), getting their nails cut, stuff for the hair (brush, lint rollers, swifter, etc) and then training sometimes
    • bente2

You get your dog nails cut?

• Yeah, growned. His dont really grind on their own. When he walks on the hardwood it could make tick marks and when he and I go running they can end up hurting his toes if they're too long

• Octavius
    I'm a huge dog person. I grew up with Newfoundlands. I'm not at a point where I can have a dog nor do I currently live in a place that's good for Newfoundlands. But eventually when I have more stability in my career and live somewhere more suitable I'm 100% going to get a newfoundland again.
    • How's a Newfoundland compared to a lab, besides bigger?

• bente2

@HookedOnSalt newfoundlands are way easier (in my opinion) because they're so big, they don't want to waste a lot of energy. You'll have to brush them a lot though, and they're more expensive to purchase.

• LoloWaye
    I got my beagle when I was 16 and I wish I had knew all of this. I just wanted him. It's been a journey learning and growing together and we're still having problems with house breaking completely but I definitely take much better care of him than I did before. He wasn't neglected but I've learned better.
    • bente2

Ai, a beagle is a tough breed indeed. Stubborn, wild and generally not too great of a house pet really.. I'm happy things are working out better tho!

• LoloWaye

He's so much fun. And he has a great personality. He's like me really. Likes to sleep, loves food, has temper tantrums LOL. When he gets mad he steals things. I try to take him out at least 3 times a day. We have a stake in the backyard so he can chill outside but we don't have a proper gate. I'm also scared of someone stealing him; I always have people asking if I'm selling him and they have the money eyes. But he's great. He loves my mom's cat, and does great with kids and we have a lot of those.

• bente2

That's good to hear! Dogs look like their owners haha! I am also kind of scared of my dogs being stolen, but they're old now so people are less likely to steal them. Glad he suits you even though he has some issues!

• AhGojira
    I lost my greatest dog of all time last Wednesday night. I picked up a cool little pup yesterday from a family that just wasn't fit to live with dogs... They probably sunk several thousand into him, and I got him $200 and he's got all kinds of personality, just no name yet. :D
  • BaileyisDarcy
    I want a dog, I'm planning on a small one since the place I'm moving to at the end of the year has a small backyard, so it'd be cruel to have a dog any larger than a staffie in that kind of yard (and I wouldn't keep a staffie in it anyway, they have too much energy for such a small yard)

I'm planning on a pug but I need to see what the pound has, and go from there.

And not a young one, I want an adult that's at least semi trained, so it won't bite, or piss on the carpet. It'll learn how to walk with me, I never take crap from dogs I walk (I trained my friends german shephard how to walk with me, so while it'd tug her arm out of its socket, it'd walk next to me if I had the leash) my grandparents dog is an exception. She's fourteen years, that's a little late to train her how to walk XD

And it has to like cats.
    Because the friend I'm moving in with has two.
    • bente2

I wouldn't get a pug, solely for the facts that one, they're expensive to purchase since they're 'hip' and two, are health hazards. Almost all pugs get breathing issues that cost you a lot of money, or are poorly bred in puppy mills and have bealrh hazards that way. If I were you I'd indeed check out the pound first!😊

• Oh I'm not planning on a purebred pug, I know about their health issues! I mostly want a pug for my younger siblings, they're both obsessed with them, and because it is a nice small dog that won't frighten my friend who I'm moving in with at the end of the year (she has an irrational fear of dogs) but isn't butt ugly like most small dogs (no offense, I just don't find them very good looking)

I want a mutt, that looks like a pug, at the very least haha

but it does depend entirely on what the pound has to offer, if there is another small dog that I can see myself taking care of, like a jack russel maybe, then that's what I'll go for. It's going to hurt so bad walking past any staffies or border collies or any other medium to large dog though! Love working dogs to bits, and staffies are my babies.

• bente2

If it looks like a pug the same health issues will occur. There's SO many small dogs, jack russels, havanese, butterfly dogs, keeshonden, etc etc. I really don't advise even getting a lookalike pug.

Working fogs are very good dogs indeed. Always ready for the job and always following the master.

• Jxpxtxr
    I've got my dog as a puppy from a renowned breeder, I think she was the only one breeding Japanese pomeranians in my region & she was already chipped, checked through by a vet & had her vaccination card and bloodline - seems like those are just formalities but it's really so important to have those things where I live! If you ever need to go to the vet and they find out you don't have a vaccination card/record they might take your dog away from you completely. When we bought her it cost us 1000€ and I'd actually say the annual cost for her is around 1000€ every year as well & we walk her at least 3-4 times a day & have a big backyard to give her the run she needs. But honestly it's all so worth it, she brings us so much joy everyday :3
    • bente2

Some dogs cost more than others. I'm happy you're taking good care of your little pup

• Jxpxtxr

She's not that little anymore, she's almost 5 now & I always think she's pretty heavy for her size, although she looks normal and my mom says it's normal for her to weigh that much but yeah I'd say she has a very good life with us :D

• Jxpxtxr

Nice take by the way I also feel like a lot of people are getting dogs way too carelessly

• HookedOnSalt
    The absolute worst part is their short life span. Fuck the money, I'd spend for life to keep my furball of joy around.
    • bente2

Small dogs live longer 😉

• justagirl5
    Great take! We need more people to be informed on adopting animals
  • Library
    These are great things to consider, good myTake
  • Adigelunar
    nice job*
  • TylerKuykendall
    Awesome and very informative Take.
  • AtomicCheesing
    Bravo encore
  • capturemyheartnow
    I am not a dog lover.
    • bente2

You have a cold heart

• Sabretooth
    i'm gonna go steal one!
  • Anonymous
    no thanks. dogs are too needy and they stink and drool and piss and shit everywhere
    • bente2

I dunno what dog you had or how terrible of aan owner you been, but that isn't right.

• Anonymous
    I have a family and a farm and a border collie that in good shape and healthy and loves to come with us when where riding horses and working with the cows