Random Acts of Kindness for the Holiday Season: Perform Them and Feel Sensational

miamigirl1970

Random Acts of Kindness for the Holiday Season- Perform Them and Feel Sensational

A great way to give thanks for the blessing you have received is to pay it forward through small acts of giving. There is something wonderful about spreading kindness and it makes a great family project. Generally speaking children are naturally compassionate and often want to help when they see a need. Planning and carrying out an act of kindness with children gives you the chance to affirm their generous nature. It also makes the world a better place and that is always a good thing. If they are your children, your siblings, or friends, or other family, teach the children young about helping and giving.

With all due respect to karma, a lifetime's an awfully long time to wait to have your best intentions rewarded with a shiny gold star. Luckily, you don't have to wait: The benefits of charity and compassion are powerful and immediate. You've seen it on the bus, when someone offers his or her seat to an elderly person: The generous person feels noble, the elderly person beams with gratitude, and even spectators feel like cheering inside just from having witnessed a simple act of kindness. As it turns out, the effects of those experiences aren't just psychological. Those who study the science of do-gooding have discovered that performing (or even just imagining performing) a good deed has major physiological benefits — for the giver, not just the recipient. Naturally, we don't behave in benevolent ways to benefit from our actions...but just between us, the side effects are awesome.

David R. Hamilton, Ph.D., is a chemist who left a career developing cardiac and cancer drugs to do research that led to studying the health benefits of kindness and happiness. Hamilton says that performing a kind act releases oxytocin — the same brain chemical that surges when you hold your baby or snuggle a dog — which also temporarily lowers blood pressure. "Kindness is literally good for your heart," explains Hamilton.

What does oxytocin do in the body? Greater amounts of oxytocin hormone levels appear to be associated with greater relaxation, more willingness to trust others, and general psychological stability. It appears to help us reduce our stress response and reduce general anxiety in people when it is produced.

Nearly a hundred years ago, aviator Amelia Earhart observed, "A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees." Her inspiring words were borne out by the results of a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that showed how a single altruistic kidney donation set off a domino effect, resulting in 10 successive transplants.

Let's take a look at some of the simple, kind gestures that can make all the difference to someone not just at the Holidays, but would be sure to make someone's day during this holiday season: This list is by no means complete, but they are ten ways to do something that could make someone's day, or even remember what you chose to do, and they might follow suit, and perform and act to someone else.

1-Make Thanksgiving cookies or treats and drop them off at the firehouse, police station, or hospital. It is a lovely way to acknowledge those who serve the community during the holidays.

2-Challenge your family to think of people who do things that are easily overlooked. These might include a cashier, mail carrier, or garbage collector. Write a thank you message to say that you are thankful for their service. Find a way to deliver the notes.

3-Shower the pediatric wing of a hospital with $1 coloring books and $2 boxes of new crayons.

4-Drop off combs, toothbrushes, and toothpaste at a shelter or a soup kitchen.

5-Take kindness on the road: Pay the toll for the car behind you.

6-Donate old cell phones to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ncadv.org), which will use the proceeds for programs that protect families from abuse.

7-Check "yes" when asked if you wish to become an organ donor — and tell your family.

8- Offer your mail carrier a glass of iced tea or a $5 Starbucks gift card.

9-1. Visit a nearby senior’s home and help bring some holiday joy by delivering flowers to patients who don’t have any visitors.

10-Forgive someone. Repeat as necessary.

Researcher Stephen Post of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine serves as president of the Institute for Research on Unlimited Love, which conducts and funds research on altruism, compassion and service. His research shows that when we give of ourselves, especially if we start young, everything from life satisfaction to self-realization and physical health is significantly improved. Mortality is delayed, depression is reduced and well-being and good fortune are increased.

I hope we can all take just a small amount out of our time during this week of Thanksgiving to help someone else, it will increase your spirits, while helping others, and also help to decrease your stress and anxiety. Happy Holidays! Peace!

6
3

Most Helpful Girl

• Paris13
    Thank you for your own "Always Kindness" of Inviting me to Many of your Great My takes, @miamigirl1970. This One is a Winner.
    I always Give year round to the Homeless on the Street that I may Meet, and Along with Helping others every Day in a big Way with Their own Issues on Gag, this Master of her own Domain, also Works in Group Homes and Has done More in Store, Working with People of all Kinds, who Need Special People like Myself to Take the Time to be Patient and Giving and Understanding.
    I give Year round to my Favorite Charity, and to Other people who Ask for The Gift of Giving to Support their own Cause, who Stand outside Stores, or the Ones, hun, inside my Stores who Ask for More, to Help some Foundation. The Salvation Army has Gotten from me, for years and years now, Countless Donations, and I even purchase Items from them which in turn, Helps them out as well.
    I have even Thought of this, if You can even Believe it, just the Other day, in Fact, Helping out at a Soup Kitchen, Where Thanksgiving Feasts are Done, hun, at this Time of Year, dear. xx
    Is this still revelant?
    • Sounds like you keep quite busy too! Good for you! Happy Thanksgiving! I always feel at this time of year, it helps me to give, and makes me feel much better too!

• Paris13

Thank you for the Like, hun, and it sounds like you have a Heart of Gold for the Young and the Old.
      Thank you so much for the Thanksgiving Greetings, and Again, my Friend, Happy Thanksgiving, Stay Safe. xxoo

Most Helpful Guy

• AlphaMale1
    If only this were possible. However, as a species we have a very long history of tribal warfare against each other. I never could understand why we keep doing this as the outcome rarely is worth all the death and destruction. And eventually we find another reason to do it again and again.

This is why I applied to NASA to volunteer for a one-way trip to the planet Mars.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

25
  • coolbreeze
    I always do nice things for people. I been paying it forward even before the term was used. I don't do it to get rewarded back. I do it because I want to. Nice mytake and good suggestions.
  • capturemyheartnow
    Act with kindness , honesty , trust , and gratitude. Always be ready to forgive. And be generous. Love everyone. And have faith in God and pray for all humanity.
  • martyfellow
    If there was one thing missing for me this past year, it was forgiveness. Thanks for the reminder.
  • lightbulb27
    Great article! Spread that around.

That's the real Thanksgiving.
  • CyberToothTiger
    Thanks for sharing , very well done. Yes i like acts of kindness especially
    around the Holidays we can always make ones life more happy.
  • MissSakura
    thanks for the my tke
  • Adigelunar
    good takee