There Should be Official Apologies for Slavery and Race Crimes!

This is a radical notion, but I firmly believe there should be official apologies for slavery and past racial sins.

Namely, the fact that well over a million Europeans were enslaved in the North African slave trade by 1780. http://www.historynet.com/how-long-did-the-moors-have-white-slaves.htm

See, while slavers who sold Africans would buy slaves from losers in tribal wars, African slave traders would literally depopulate European coasts like jihadists going to war.

"North African pirates abducted and enslaved more than 1 million Europeans between 1530 and 1780 in a series of raids which depopulated coastal towns from Sicily to Cornwall, according to new research."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/11/highereducation.books

Other sources go into detail about how the devastation this horrible time period of race crimes had. (And talk about irony... African piracy attacking white Europeans. Some things never change huh?)

"What is most striking about Barbary slaving raids is their scale and reach. Pirates took most of their slaves from ships, but they also organized huge, amphibious assaults that practically depopulated parts of the Italian coast....

In the more frequent smaller raiding parties, just a few ships would operate by stealth, falling upon coastal settlements in the middle of the night so as to catch people “peaceful and still naked in their beds.” This practice gave rise to the modern-day Sicilian expression, pigliato dai turchi, or “taken by the Turks,” which means to be caught by surprise while asleep or distracted.

Constant predation took a terrible toll. Women were easier to catch than men, and coastal areas could quickly lose their entire child-bearing population. Fishermen were afraid to go out, or would sail only in convoys. Eventually, Italians gave up much of their coast."

(Robert C. Davis, Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003, 246 pp.)

While over a million Europeans were held in African slave trades, far less than half that amount of black slaves ever made it to what has become the modern USA. Henry Louis Gates Jr, Director of the Hutchins Center for African and African American Research at Harvard University, estimates that at most, 450k black slaves ever made it to the USA.

http://www.theroot.com/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us-1790873989

Meaning that while in the USA, slavery is still a common topic and taught in schools, even talked about by Presidents as "America's original sin" the far worse and far wider white slavery in Africa, which literally devastated European nations and advancement for hundreds of years, is barely even mentioned despite resulting in far more white slaves in Africa than were ever brought to the USA. This is a racial injustice that needs to be addressed, and African nations and peoples need to accept the terrible legacy of racial hatred and slavery passed down by their ancestors. Apologies and possible restitution should be considered to right this horrible crime. Many famed scholars and celebrities agree that even if you did not personally own slaves, you benefited and have a duty to make this right.

Not only that, but while blacks owned so many white slaves in Europe, they were instrumental in spreading slavery to the USA as well, and a significant amount owned slaves in the USA. http://www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436

Truly, official apologies are needed from black people and African nations for these terrible sins. After all, it's only right.

2040
RationalMale is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• 6d

This went a totally different direction than I thought it would haha I love it

• 2h

i'm from an all white town in florida, but i have black 'family' in a close black town, we help each other, none of us have a lot, but we love one another, i grew up in the fields, and the racism is not over, actually, we need to apologize to the untold millions of native americans we slaughtered, to the untold millions of innocent children we've slaughtered in the endless wars! polluting the earth, clearcutting the forests, and now as your food supply is lost with every crop that's lost, you might want to preserve the knowledge of how to live without power, to carry water, to cook over a wood stove, the herbs, etc., you sound like a trump troll!

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 19

• 4d

I would like to know what good would an apology from anyone in 2017 do? The slaves of ANY race who were sold, shipped, abused, killed, made to work against their will, etc, are long dead as are the people who enslaved them with the exception of modern cases of human slavery that still go on today. Are you implying that black, white, and other should now hold people responsible for the actions of their long dead ancestors? Do you want to be held accountable for your long dead ancestors actions, because I'm pretty sure if we go down the line of you or anyone's family histories, we can find injustices committed by family members who are long dead. This take is quite pointless. This is exactly why people sign contracts that state clearly that you cannot hold relatives or future generations accountable in perpetuity, for what someone did in contract years ago before they even came to be in existence.

• 6d

I've never owned a slave so I have nothing to apologize for. I don't know anyone that has either.

• 6d

Did you actually read what he wrote?

• 6d

@Jackblue look at the other comments. Neither are them and you said nothing to them. You just picked me out

• 6d

sorry, I thought you were thinking that Rationalmale was saying that whites should apologize, but what he is saying is of course the opposite of that

• 2d

The hypocrisy in the comments is real with some whites. First write an whole paragraph about how they aren't responsible what their ancestors did without reading the take and as soon as it's the other way around all of a sudden it's a good take lol typical

• 2d

There's no way to bring back those who did those horrible things so i feel like even if their descents apologized it wouldn't be genuine. They can't really feel the regret because they weren't there. It'll never really be ok

• 3d

I think amends have been made and yet it's never good enough. Their suffering is always someone else's fault. Maybe it's time to take responbilkty for their own actuon

• 4d

I'm not responsible for what my ancestor have done and I have no attention to say sorry at people who aren't even slave nowadays !

• 5d

Why should I be responsible for the actions of evil people? My family wasn't even in America when this happened to black people

• 6d

What kind of law do you practice?

• 6d

Yes there should because once there is one people can move forward and quit/less likely to take sides on the issue

• 1d

So if you are black, and have ancestors who captured and sold black slaves to the white American market, should you pay reparations to other black people? Or to the part of yourself that is descended from blacks who were enslaved? Or to whites who may have been enslaved by African blacks and Muslims? Again, I'm astounded at all the people who didn't read one word of the Take itself. Completely missed the freakin' point!!!

• 23h

@Kimosabe The nations leaders of countries that participated in slavery should make formal apologize like Germany did for the Holocaust, otherwise we can't move forward on this issue until it happens

• 15h

Wouldn't it just make more sense for everyone to condemn all acts of enslavement, and pledge to oppose such treatment by anyone, toward anyone, regardless of their race or ancestry, instead of trying to engage in what turns out to be an extremely convoluted and complex calculation of ancestral blame-laying?

• 1d

I think the only reason the pirates captured those guys is because they were coming to buy the slaves. I've never heard of any real white slaves who did manual labor were transferred in very poor conditions to African farms for hard labor, raped and so on. Unless u r saying history left out a certain part of the story. I'm not justifying what they did just trying to understand.

• 16h

Of course you haven't heard, ehite slavery doesn't matter. Why don't you research it and educate yourself? Ignorance doesn't change history.

• 23min

Do you feel the slavers who depopulated coastal cities were kind and gentle? No hard labor for white slaves?

• 5d

White people are fucking annoying on this website 😂

• 23h

If thays the case, then on behalf of all black people, I apologize for their crimes.

• 6d

I agree but that's not possible since they're not all alive anymore. I do think society should do something to make people stop behaving bad to each other because of things one can't control ( like color, race, and gender).

• 1d

I don't think you can apologize for something you had nothing to do with. We aren't our ancestors

• 1d

I won't apologize. I'm not responsible.

• 4d

Looks like you put a lot of thought into this. I'd be interested in seeing your take on the importance or non-importance of community, love, giving, human kindness etc

• 4d

Gosh it's like no one actually read the freaking take, so annoying 😒

• 6d

Yeah , to Jewish people too

• 5d

The Jews deserve a massive fine for stealing Palestine off the Palestinians.

• 5d

@Bezbozhnikustanka Then to the Palistines also, and the Irish! I'm being sarcastic if you can't tell... My point is that there's plenty of people who deserve more, and they never get anything for it.

• 4d

No, just maturity.

What Guys Said 40

• 6d

I see what you did there :D

• 6d

"only white people can be racist, you scum hur dur"

• 6d

Black and Arab Muslims ran the Barbarie slave trade and the North African slave trade. Blacks were enslaved by other blacks and sold by Arabs and blacks... Most slaves were owned by Arab Muslims, Blacks and Brazillians...

gossiponthis.com/.../Joel-Husk-Racist-Meme-5.jpg

White people ENDED slavery and we are accused of being the oppressors.. The lies and hate need to stop!

• 6d

I am sure "Blacks" did not come up with the idea that "Black" people were a slave race. Owning slaves is much different than claiming by virtue of race a person is or is not a slave.

• 6d

@RolandCuthbert No they believed any non muslim was to be a slave, or that anyone from another tribe was to be a slave.. so pretty much exactly the same thing.

Besides.. White people ended slavery, they are also responsible for the concept of human rights, free speech, freedom of religion etc.. Whites BOUGHT the freedom of every slave, then committed their armies to eradicating it at great cost!

• 5d

Blame the liberals. They think being born white in this century is a sin. Slavery has been practiced everywhere in the world in some form or the other but its only in the US they cultivate this sort of pseudo 'white' guilt because some people believe that they're owed something.

• 5d

Could you write a MyTake outlining the REAL reasons you have such disdain for black folks and women? Like not these surface reasons that you try to rationalize with pseudo-intellectual diatribes, but like the "who hurt you?" reasons. I can tell you have a lot of pain behind those eyes...

• 6d

slavery continues today in africa and other parts of the world but organizations like the UN cannot do anything about it.

• 6d

Slavery still happens in Africa today, and the Barbary slave trade was happening until near the end of the 1960s.

• 6d

Remember when people claimed that "Black" people were slaves by virtue of race?

You forgot about that?

• 5d

You misunderstand. The whole reason The Atlantic Slave Trade was a big deal is because this was the first time slaves became "slaves" yes that sounds stupid, but in history slaves were treated very well. The greatest admiral in the world, Zheng he was a slave. The greeks turned slaves into officials, and took care of them as if they were pets. However Europeans turned this into a more evil connotation, they needed manpower and they didn't have it so they mass produced by buying prisoners from Africa and they couldn't afford to treat them well so they created this idea to make it humane to everyone "social-darwinism" The belief that one race is superior and the others will perish "survival of the fittest" This paved way for the prejudice of black skin color in The european colonies that today are their own countries it still affects us today, and thats why people dont talk about "white slavery"

Furthermore No one has apologized for the atlantic slave trade, and no one will, so why would you ask for an apology even though we don't get an "apology"

• 5d

I notice you dodn't provide an actual source for that. Because hard to cite good sources for ridiculous lies isn't it?

• 5d

that's bullshit. only slaves that worked as house servants were ever treated close to well as they were the favorites

• 2d

Who's going to do the apologizing and to who? Basically in this generation it wasn't our fault, but yet they keep bringing it up like it is our fault

• 6d

"White" nationalists are so silly.

Haha!!

Someone is asking for you to apologize for slavery? The "moors" are "Black" now? Did anyone tell the Arab World this? Why does it matter that a "Black" man saw other "Blacks" are a slave race and enslaved them? How does that in any way justify chattel slavery?

And you call yourself "rational"male?

Hilarious!!!

• 1d

That's a hell of an essay! Personally, I'm feeling moved to pay myself substantial reparations, as a person of part English and part Irish ancestry, for the brutal and unconscionable treatment of my ancestors by my other ancestors.

• 5d

I will not be made tacitly complicit for things I was never involved in, people who take a personal attitude towards historical events are perhaps the most irrational on the planet. History is like a narrative to be analyzed for recurrent motifs, and has utility in its potential supply of precedence for similar situations. But to be 'offended' by history is just ignorant.

• 1d

Actually, you know what should really happen? The black community should get over slavery because it's so old. If you go back far enough in any race or any ethnicities history, you'll be able to dig up dirt and make them look bad and that in turn will cause us to have bad relationships amongst each other. I see 20 year old black men blaming anything that goes wrong with them on slavery. Are you kidding? You missed slavery by 250 years.

The point is, let those ugly times in history go. The more we continue to rehash them and bring them up, the more resentment we will feel.

• 2d

Recognition is all that is required... not apology. I am concerned about the trend toward revisionist history...

• 2d

We're finding out more and more that the history we've been taught is mostly bullshit amd biased to suit an agenda. I knew the Arab caliphates were the first to take slaves from the African continent and it was other Africans who sold them in fortified harbours. This cherry picking history as it's convenient has got to stop

• 5d

I don't want any apologies from anyone... You know why... Because Iv'e never been enslaved, and mainly all the other people suppose to apologize whether white or black, in today's age, never enslaved anyone.
    The past is the past, the fact is I have no idea who this ancestor from 100years ago did, but I am not accountable for it simply for being in his lineage, I never enslaved anyone

• 5d

That said I never knew there was such a thing as White Slaves, that's for sure

• 5d

War slaves, your army loses a war and the surviving soldiers are enslaved.

"Race" hardly played a role in slavery throughout most of history until it was invented to justify enslaving non-war captives.

• 6d

funny how you "baited" it.

but nice take.
    but for any black people who could be offended at this, tbh moors were looking more like arabs than blacks, apparently arabs funded the moors who were north Africans and probably a few arabs were amongst them. they definitely didn't look like the south and west Africans that got shipped to the us.
    nowadays a lot of northh Africans actually look almost white, i guess the population was diluted with european genes

• 6d

Nah I am offended, and no, the Moors/Arabs would never claim to be "Black". Furthermore, the Moors never created the concept of a slave race. That was done by Europe/American society.

• 6d

@RolandCuthbert actually the moors did very well. They particularly wanted white, european slaves (mainly women , to be sex slaves for wealthy arabs and a bunch of other rulers and powerful men).
      The fact is that the arabs were the original cross racial slaveholders with a racial superiority complex.
      They captured black slaves from central africa as well.
      In fact to this day, arab culture has this "master race concept" which also carried over to now become a concept in the greater islamic culture

• 6d

Who should apologise to whom?

All the slaves and slave owners are dead, nobody alive today have any part in it, and no race is collectively responsible for the acts of other members of it's race.

• 6d

Didn't read the mytake. Amazing.

• 5d

Truly foolish. You had no clue what the point of the take was.

• 5d

@RationalMale

Truly foolish to assume disagreeing, is the same as having no clue about the point of the take. I do get the meaning of the take, but I disagree with the premises and the conclusion.

The race in question doesn't matter, nobody are owed official apologies by anyone for something someone else did in the past. German are not collectively guilty of the holocausts.

And no black person of today owns any white slaves, so no need for any apologies here.

It's sad you can't see the difference between not read or getting a take, and disagreeing with it's premises.

• 2d

No...

• 6d

The 620,000 white people that died to free the slaves isn't enough of an apology?

• More from Guys
    20