There Should be Official Apologies for Slavery and Race Crimes!

This is a radical notion, but I firmly believe there should be official apologies for slavery and past racial sins.

Namely, the fact that well over a million Europeans were enslaved in the North African slave trade by 1780. http://www.historynet.com/how-long-did-the-moors-have-white-slaves.htm

See, while slavers who sold Africans would buy slaves from losers in tribal wars, African slave traders would literally depopulate European coasts like jihadists going to war.

"North African pirates abducted and enslaved more than 1 million Europeans between 1530 and 1780 in a series of raids which depopulated coastal towns from Sicily to Cornwall, according to new research."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/11/highereducation.books

Other sources go into detail about how the devastation this horrible time period of race crimes had. (And talk about irony... African piracy attacking white Europeans. Some things never change huh?)

"What is most striking about Barbary slaving raids is their scale and reach. Pirates took most of their slaves from ships, but they also organized huge, amphibious assaults that practically depopulated parts of the Italian coast....

In the more frequent smaller raiding parties, just a few ships would operate by stealth, falling upon coastal settlements in the middle of the night so as to catch people “peaceful and still naked in their beds.” This practice gave rise to the modern-day Sicilian expression, pigliato dai turchi, or “taken by the Turks,” which means to be caught by surprise while asleep or distracted.

Constant predation took a terrible toll. Women were easier to catch than men, and coastal areas could quickly lose their entire child-bearing population. Fishermen were afraid to go out, or would sail only in convoys. Eventually, Italians gave up much of their coast."

(Robert C. Davis, Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003, 246 pp.)

While over a million Europeans were held in African slave trades, far less than half that amount of black slaves ever made it to what has become the modern USA. Henry Louis Gates Jr, Director of the Hutchins Center for African and African American Research at Harvard University, estimates that at most, 450k black slaves ever made it to the USA.

http://www.theroot.com/how-many-slaves-landed-in-the-us-1790873989

Meaning that while in the USA, slavery is still a common topic and taught in schools, even talked about by Presidents as "America's original sin" the far worse and far wider white slavery in Africa, which literally devastated European nations and advancement for hundreds of years, is barely even mentioned despite resulting in far more white slaves in Africa than were ever brought to the USA. This is a racial injustice that needs to be addressed, and African nations and peoples need to accept the terrible legacy of racial hatred and slavery passed down by their ancestors. Apologies and possible restitution should be considered to right this horrible crime. Many famed scholars and celebrities agree that even if you did not personally own slaves, you benefited and have a duty to make this right.

Not only that, but while blacks owned so many white slaves in Europe, they were instrumental in spreading slavery to the USA as well, and a significant amount owned slaves in the USA. http://www.theroot.com/did-black-people-own-slaves-1790895436

Truly, official apologies are needed from black people and African nations for these terrible sins. After all, it's only right.

2042
RationalMale is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• This went a totally different direction than I thought it would haha I love it

• i'm from an all white town in florida, but i have black 'family' in a close black town, we help each other, none of us have a lot, but we love one another, i grew up in the fields, and the racism is not over, actually, we need to apologize to the untold millions of native americans we slaughtered, to the untold millions of innocent children we've slaughtered in the endless wars! polluting the earth, clearcutting the forests, and now as your food supply is lost with every crop that's lost, you might want to preserve the knowledge of how to live without power, to carry water, to cook over a wood stove, the herbs, etc., you sound like a trump troll!

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 19

• I would like to know what good would an apology from anyone in 2017 do? The slaves of ANY race who were sold, shipped, abused, killed, made to work against their will, etc, are long dead as are the people who enslaved them with the exception of modern cases of human slavery that still go on today. Are you implying that black, white, and other should now hold people responsible for the actions of their long dead ancestors? Do you want to be held accountable for your long dead ancestors actions, because I'm pretty sure if we go down the line of you or anyone's family histories, we can find injustices committed by family members who are long dead. This take is quite pointless. This is exactly why people sign contracts that state clearly that you cannot hold relatives or future generations accountable in perpetuity, for what someone did in contract years ago before they even came to be in existence.

• I've never owned a slave so I have nothing to apologize for. I don't know anyone that has either.

• The hypocrisy in the comments is real with some whites. First write an whole paragraph about how they aren't responsible what their ancestors did without reading the take and as soon as it's the other way around all of a sudden it's a good take lol typical

• Looks like you put a lot of thought into this. I'd be interested in seeing your take on the importance or non-importance of community, love, giving, human kindness etc

• There's no way to bring back those who did those horrible things so i feel like even if their descents apologized it wouldn't be genuine. They can't really feel the regret because they weren't there. It'll never really be ok

• I think amends have been made and yet it's never good enough. Their suffering is always someone else's fault. Maybe it's time to take responbilkty for their own actuon

• I'm not responsible for what my ancestor have done and I have no attention to say sorry at people who aren't even slave nowadays !

• White people are fucking annoying on this website 😂

• What kind of law do you practice?

• Yes there should because once there is one people can move forward and quit/less likely to take sides on the issue

• So if you are black, and have ancestors who captured and sold black slaves to the white American market, should you pay reparations to other black people? Or to the part of yourself that is descended from blacks who were enslaved? Or to whites who may have been enslaved by African blacks and Muslims? Again, I'm astounded at all the people who didn't read one word of the Take itself. Completely missed the freakin' point!!!

• You're still falling into the one-sided Blame Game trap, that does nothing except increase and exacerbate racial tension among people who had nothing to do with either side of all this. And you're ignoring my question STILL: WHO MUST APOLOGIZE TO WHOM? I have ancestors who fought and died to end slavery, and ancestors who gave all they had in the cause of abolitionism. And all of this blather does nothing but entrench the separation between groups of people, increase resentments on both sides, guarantee the continuation of conflict, and prevent people getting to a colorblind society. And all of this is because of a very small, controlling group of people whose fortunes are completely dependent on the existence of racial hatreds. Enough of the hate! Be done with it all, and move forward TOGETHER, DAMNIT!!! As ONE people!!!

• @Kimosabe I'm not blaming a side, and it irrelevant what ancestor did or didn't do since they aren't your accomplishments, the apology should be to the public to anyone who is see this issue and is bothered by issue of slavery, to move forward you have to acknowledge the past and apologize what happen so people can move forward

• I think the only reason the pirates captured those guys is because they were coming to buy the slaves. I've never heard of any real white slaves who did manual labor were transferred in very poor conditions to African farms for hard labor, raped and so on. Unless u r saying history left out a certain part of the story. I'm not justifying what they did just trying to understand.

• Of course you haven't heard, ehite slavery doesn't matter. Why don't you research it and educate yourself? Ignorance doesn't change history.

• Do you feel the slavers who depopulated coastal cities were kind and gentle? No hard labor for white slaves?

• Why should I be responsible for the actions of evil people? My family wasn't even in America when this happened to black people

• I agree but that's not possible since they're not all alive anymore. I do think society should do something to make people stop behaving bad to each other because of things one can't control ( like color, race, and gender).

• If thays the case, then on behalf of all black people, I apologize for their crimes.

• I don't think you can apologize for something you had nothing to do with. We aren't our ancestors

• I won't apologize. I'm not responsible.

• Gosh it's like no one actually read the freaking take, so annoying 😒

• No, just maturity.

• Yeah , to Jewish people too

What Guys Said 42

• "only white people can be racist, you scum hur dur"

• Interesting MyTake 😊

• I see what you did there :D

• Blame the liberals. They think being born white in this century is a sin. Slavery has been practiced everywhere in the world in some form or the other but its only in the US they cultivate this sort of pseudo 'white' guilt because some people believe that they're owed something.

• Black and Arab Muslims ran the Barbarie slave trade and the North African slave trade. Blacks were enslaved by other blacks and sold by Arabs and blacks... Most slaves were owned by Arab Muslims, Blacks and Brazillians...

gossiponthis.com/.../Joel-Husk-Racist-Meme-5.jpg

White people ENDED slavery and we are accused of being the oppressors.. The lies and hate need to stop!

• I am sure "Blacks" did not come up with the idea that "Black" people were a slave race. Owning slaves is much different than claiming by virtue of race a person is or is not a slave.

• @RolandCuthbert No they believed any non muslim was to be a slave, or that anyone from another tribe was to be a slave.. so pretty much exactly the same thing.

Besides.. White people ended slavery, they are also responsible for the concept of human rights, free speech, freedom of religion etc.. Whites BOUGHT the freedom of every slave, then committed their armies to eradicating it at great cost!

• Could you write a MyTake outlining the REAL reasons you have such disdain for black folks and women? Like not these surface reasons that you try to rationalize with pseudo-intellectual diatribes, but like the "who hurt you?" reasons. I can tell you have a lot of pain behind those eyes...

• slavery continues today in africa and other parts of the world but organizations like the UN cannot do anything about it.

• Slavery still happens in Africa today, and the Barbary slave trade was happening until near the end of the 1960s.

• Remember when people claimed that "Black" people were slaves by virtue of race?

You forgot about that?

• You misunderstand. The whole reason The Atlantic Slave Trade was a big deal is because this was the first time slaves became "slaves" yes that sounds stupid, but in history slaves were treated very well. The greatest admiral in the world, Zheng he was a slave. The greeks turned slaves into officials, and took care of them as if they were pets. However Europeans turned this into a more evil connotation, they needed manpower and they didn't have it so they mass produced by buying prisoners from Africa and they couldn't afford to treat them well so they created this idea to make it humane to everyone "social-darwinism" The belief that one race is superior and the others will perish "survival of the fittest" This paved way for the prejudice of black skin color in The european colonies that today are their own countries it still affects us today, and thats why people dont talk about "white slavery"

Furthermore No one has apologized for the atlantic slave trade, and no one will, so why would you ask for an apology even though we don't get an "apology"

• I notice you dodn't provide an actual source for that. Because hard to cite good sources for ridiculous lies isn't it?

• that's bullshit. only slaves that worked as house servants were ever treated close to well as they were the favorites

• That's a hell of an essay! Personally, I'm feeling moved to pay myself substantial reparations, as a person of part English and part Irish ancestry, for the brutal and unconscionable treatment of my ancestors by my other ancestors.

• "White" nationalists are so silly.

Haha!!

Someone is asking for you to apologize for slavery? The "moors" are "Black" now? Did anyone tell the Arab World this? Why does it matter that a "Black" man saw other "Blacks" are a slave race and enslaved them? How does that in any way justify chattel slavery?

And you call yourself "rational"male?

Hilarious!!!

• Who's going to do the apologizing and to who? Basically in this generation it wasn't our fault, but yet they keep bringing it up like it is our fault

• um, who do I contact in Africa for a compliant? when my great great great great great grandfather bought slaves from some lovely Africa lords who sold off their own people there was a document stating satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. along with a promise that they would work. well 100 or so years later they have rebelled and refuse to work i want a refund

• Why don't we let the past be the past, stop making it so that everyone has to apologize to everyone for the sins of their ancestors, and focus and fighting injustice today. Do the Tibetans always complain and demand apologies from the Chinese? No, they remember the past, but they move on and continue to fight for their freedom with a good heart and acceptance of different viewpoints. We should all take a page out of their book.

• I will not be made tacitly complicit for things I was never involved in, people who take a personal attitude towards historical events are perhaps the most irrational on the planet. History is like a narrative to be analyzed for recurrent motifs, and has utility in its potential supply of precedence for similar situations. But to be 'offended' by history is just ignorant.

• People just want to feel like they are in the right and big bad world is out to get them. In the end, We have to choose who we will be, and how to respond to circumstances in life. I do not let the bad shit that happened define me now. I use the fact that I got through it to push me forward.

• Actually, you know what should really happen? The black community should get over slavery because it's so old. If you go back far enough in any race or any ethnicities history, you'll be able to dig up dirt and make them look bad and that in turn will cause us to have bad relationships amongst each other. I see 20 year old black men blaming anything that goes wrong with them on slavery. Are you kidding? You missed slavery by 250 years.

The point is, let those ugly times in history go. The more we continue to rehash them and bring them up, the more resentment we will feel.

• Recognition is all that is required... not apology. I am concerned about the trend toward revisionist history...

• I don't want any apologies from anyone... You know why... Because Iv'e never been enslaved, and mainly all the other people suppose to apologize whether white or black, in today's age, never enslaved anyone.
    The past is the past, the fact is I have no idea who this ancestor from 100years ago did, but I am not accountable for it simply for being in his lineage, I never enslaved anyone

• That said I never knew there was such a thing as White Slaves, that's for sure

• War slaves, your army loses a war and the surviving soldiers are enslaved.

"Race" hardly played a role in slavery throughout most of history until it was invented to justify enslaving non-war captives.

• funny how you "baited" it.

but nice take.
    but for any black people who could be offended at this, tbh moors were looking more like arabs than blacks, apparently arabs funded the moors who were north Africans and probably a few arabs were amongst them. they definitely didn't look like the south and west Africans that got shipped to the us.
    nowadays a lot of northh Africans actually look almost white, i guess the population was diluted with european genes

• Nah I am offended, and no, the Moors/Arabs would never claim to be "Black". Furthermore, the Moors never created the concept of a slave race. That was done by Europe/American society.

• @RolandCuthbert actually the moors did very well. They particularly wanted white, european slaves (mainly women , to be sex slaves for wealthy arabs and a bunch of other rulers and powerful men).
      The fact is that the arabs were the original cross racial slaveholders with a racial superiority complex.
      They captured black slaves from central africa as well.
      In fact to this day, arab culture has this "master race concept" which also carried over to now become a concept in the greater islamic culture

• More from Guys
    22