You Think Dubai's All Showbiz? Well, Learn Who's Behind Everything

Hey everyone, so this is my first ever myTake (plz don't kill lol) and I thought it should be on a topic that nobody ever thought off. THE SLAVES OF DUBAI!

Yeah, so all of you who think that Dubai's the best place to be and live and it's an awesome destination...you're right it is, however, you guys don't know who's behind all high rise buildings (like the Burj Khalifa), malls and all the man-made stuff. The laborers of course, but please note the way they are treated.

First of all just so you know, no Emarati or UAE citizen (UAE doesn't give out citizenship to any "expat" even if you're born in the country like me...so i get deemed an Indian cause my parents are both Indian passport holders) does any of the hard work...they have managers or recruitment camps that lure laborers from countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and other such Asian countries.

So these laborers are promised an average amount of salary of around 1500-2000AED (which is around 500$), they get lured into coming here because they think earning in a comparatively stronger currency, will allow them to send money back home to their families. That is what they are promised, but unfortunately, that's not how it works.

As soon as these individuals land in the UAE, their passports are taken away, so that there's no escape from the job, secondly, their wages are reduced and they actually only get paid around 500-600AED (which is around 150$) and mind you my friends, these people work for 6 days a week, 12 hours a day and 8-10 people living in a room. Also, it's scorching hot almost throughout the year, now this is called MODERN DAY SLAVERY

sleeping conditions
sleeping conditions

this is what they look like in uniform

The poor men are transported in buses to and from their sleeping quarters which is way far from the city, without A/C...for any other human being this would probably cause them to die. They also have to cook their own food.

These helpless men are trapped here, they want to get out but there is no way since the government has their passports with them. Some of them haven't even been able to visit their families in 2 years and more.

This is a really sad situation that these deranged individuals have to undergo :(

And with that I'd like to end my first ever myTake :)

Love,

Mez <3

412

Most Helpful Guys

• That is one great topic young lady, I understand that many people are treated bad, it sucks :(

• The sad truth, however, is that these people have even worse conditions in their home countries, and that is why they cross the Arabian Sea or from even further to earn money.

Among the expat workers, there is a hierarchy, where American and British executives and oil company workers are fewer and more on the top, and Filipinos, Bangledeshis and Pakistanis more numerous and on the bottom.

Most Helpful Girls

• no way this is ridiculous!!!

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• Also Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and other countries. I had a business trip to Abu Dhabi which was far less glamorous. UAE is divided into states each run by their respective family leader, so rules are different by state.

• I am an expat in all around the Middle East, when I have a business trip to Dubai I take a hotel for 100-150$ a day like Movenpick Lake Towers. So i bet these guys on the picture just wanted to save AED on their accomodation. Even the indian/pakistani taxi drivers rent 1 bedroom for 3-4 people.

I appreciate the effort which these construction workers put in Dubai, but please, note, that most of them are a low qualified work force who eat, piss and work at the same place. Most of them have no idea how the toilet paper works. At the oil fields this type of workers generate more damage than revenue.

• Yes, I noticed that foreigners do almost all the actual work there. Brits and Americans do the high-pay high-prestige stuff, Indians, Pakistanis and Filipinos do the grunt work.

• Cheap labor exploitation. It's disgraceful. Have the workers' governments even attempted to intervene on their behalf? Probably not.

• Exactly what we saw in Qatar earlier this year. Complete exploitation.

• I don't think people are unaware. They just don't care.

• I mean I knew about it but most people don't.
    I don't understand why Liberals and Human Rights people continue to defend Muslims.

• That's crazy. I knew that there's some foreign workers with poor sallary, but I could't imagine anything like this. Good take.

• Geez! I didn’t knew about the passport-snatching thingy. That’s really really bad!

• samething happening in Kwait and Qatar

What Girls Said 2