Have you ever felt that as a society we are moving backwards rather than forward?

THE FUTURE

THE FUTURE

Society and Politics are NOT the same.

I will be honest from the start so that there is no doubt about who I voted for. I voted for Trump. Now please, before you automatically dismiss me based on that fact, I am begging that you indulge me in at least this paragraph to explain why. If after this next paragraph you still want to dismiss this as not something you wish to finish I will bid you good wishes and not only understand, but respect your decision.

The reason that I voted for Donald Trump was simple for me. As an older American I voted for Obama when he ran and was lucky enough to be there in DC when he took office. I have always kept politics out of life, and never have been on either side. I feel that people are the most important thing in a democracy and without that we are lost. When I placed my vote this year it was because I felt that Americans need a leader that is not bound by politics. I wanted out spoken and I wanted someone that wasn't able to be bought in Washington at least. Do I agree with everything he does? No, I would be a poor thinker indeed if that was true. In fact I like that he has tried to be direct with his message and bypass the media. I also think that he could be a bit more restrained and not argue all the time. Truthfully I have started to realize that in reality I voted for someone who reminds me of an older time, my grandfathers, and even on occasion my father. In saying that I feel that it is time we as a nation, no even further the entirety of the human race begin to work towards our future rather that its demise.

My REAL Beliefs

I am pretty easy in the things that I am passionate about. I am loyal to my friends and family, I am would and have stood up against the odds when it comes to keeping those I care about safe. I think that life is supposed to be lived not watched. I believe in God, but don't agree with churches. I am against people who pick on those who can't defend themselves. I believe that people should look out for one another because you never know what an act of kindness can do for another. I believe in free speech, I respect my parents as well as elders, and I believe that if you look there is good in almost everyone.

Our Strengths are the key.

If we stop in our daily lives to look at others you will see both the potential for good as well as the ability for evil to thrive. We go through life and we are busy, we are so busy that we rely on other people to think for us. We have social media, News, friends and so much more shoved at us that we have found it easier to do our daily tasks. I don't begrudge anyone over it, because I am guilty as well. I only recently am realizing that in doing so we are not using one of our greatest strengths, our ability to think.

The human race is the brightest example ever seen of people that can think. From the beginning of time you can see that our ability to do that is the reason we are here today. Whether you are a person that is book smart, or you are street smart, or even both, your greatest strength is your mind. If we had not invented the wheel we may never have the car. If we had never been curious about electricity we may still be reading by candle.

We are too Divided.

I think that we are allowing others to think for us to a degree that now we are becoming so far apart that if something doesn't change it very well may become too late to repair. We have allowed others to become our mouth pieces over the things that we "think" are what is right. I have done that too.

I think that we are becoming a nation as well as people that are going to end this being on one side or another and that is where my concern lays. While I agree that in life there are only ever two choices with all the rest being variations of those original two choices.

Can we repair the Damage?

I deeply want to hold fast to the belief that YES WE CAN! We can repair the divisions and it doesn't cost a dime. It doesn't mean a sacrifice in your beliefs, or even anything more than and extra 5 seconds. What I have begun to do as a test is before I react to something I read or hear, I try to pause for a few seconds and remember that not everyone thinks like I do. I take those moments to remember that every single person no matter who you are is unique. Whether you are rich or poor, no matter your color, or where you live, everyone is special in some way. In remembering that I keep my mind open because who knows what someone else has to say. Some of our greatest break throughs came from having an open mind :) We need to remember that yes there are people everywhere that make us look bad no matter where you stand in life.

Why try at all?

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I think that the reason to try is easy for me. I believe that we are capable of great things and will go farther than anyone now or in the past has ever believed. I think that when people come together the feeling and energy put off it what people who are religious have called miracles. I believe that we are always better and stronger when we are united rather than divided. I am not sure if there are others that have felt this but to me it feels like there is something missing, and that is the thing we need to find.

Final Thoughts

I don't know if anyone will read this, and while I hope they do I assure everyone that I will still spread this anywhere and everywhere I can. I think that I am tired of seeing families torn apart over politics, I I am saddened that we many lost sight of what is important and that the world is a little dimmer for it. No matter if you are a democrat or republican, far right or far left, black, white, indian, Asian, latino, or from outer space, there will ALWAYS be common ground somewhere, if only in the fact that both people listen rather than shut down. We are better than this. As I finish this up, first thanks you if you have read this all. Second, remember and think back, we have done things through the centuries that were never thought possible. The mystery and beauty of our race can be seen and felt to anyone who takes the time to look, so please remember that we don't always have to agree on everything, but I will always give the courtesy of keeping an open mind in the hope that we an reach a common ground.

18

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a great question and well written mytake. It is clear that you are pragmatic in your approach to things.
    I want to say that your idea that society and politics not being the same, is technically, and on the surface true, but they are intertwined in many ways. Obviously, as society continues to advance it does so in politics, the ones making the changes usually are elected by the people, political process drives the changes society dictates. That’s how it’s supposed to work at least.
    I have felt that the “progressives” are in many ways regressive. The urge to over compensate is strong, many times unable to resist. When they go too far, it rarely ends well.
    The Kavanaugh confirmation hearings are an example of a political process being impacted by the #metoo movement. #metoo is a necessary readjustment in how society has been treating sexual assault victims, but by saying “believe all women”, as some of the Dems did during the hearing, goes too far when due process and presum0tion of innocence are sacrificed. This is but one of the times I felt society had moved backwards.

• I think that's a valid point. In fact I think that probably sums up the whole process. This could boil down in to a simple matter of disrespect for elders, to as you pointed out when things are taken to extremes. Now that isn't just one side either. There are bad people all around the world. Sometimes they are the ones that are noticed when it comes to sides. I know a great many democrats as well as republicans. Now in my circle I don't think any of us feel that there is a need for extremes. That is the basis of our country, our forefather's discussed things. I guess the reality is that is where people need to start. I try to put aside my feelings and stay towards the rational lol

Join the discussion

17
  • Society evolves with technology as its catalyst. From a technological standpoint, people in the contemporary times have become more resilient, more innovative, and more capable of encountering complexity than our distant ancestors, in terms of withstanding the ever-changing conditions of the environment; this is, eminently, an advancement.

It is the same complexity, aided by technology, that can disrupt the course of nature through artificial means, hence the insinuation that society has become 'regressive' in deed by dismissng the moral aspect such as people having the tendency to pursue own interests without regard for, for instance, the environment.

Comparable to the half-full/half-empty dilemma, I think it is a matter of outlook whether society has become either 'progressive' or 'regressive'; either response is tantamount to deal with a myriad of fields and disciplines to ultimately arrive at a sound judgment.

• Excellent! I agree, the miracle part is spot on as well in my view. I like your writing and style and... heart for... something better! Definitely a Knight!

I could say the same about God and church, but I go to church. do you?

• Yes on occasion, funny side note, at one point within the last 17 years I attended a year of college in the pursuit of becoming a pastor. Now that has not worked the way that I had intended then, but as with everything I feel there are reasons things happen.

• True. Timing. I know by hindsight now. God...=love... is working it out.

• We will continue to go the wrong direction , because God has been removed from society. So, expect more crime, violence, wars, and more problems,

• I understand that as a concern, and while I too am a christian, I don't believe that is the entirety of the problem. Now I understand that I can be wrong, and sometimes I feel it is 50 50 there.

• Nope, society has been moving forward since we escaped the religious Dark Ages.

• Interesting theory, I would love to hear you thoughts on the progression of humans sometime if you have the chance. Both in advances in technology as well as personal growth.

• Humans have progressed with more equal rights for everyone and technology has gone forward despite the hindrance from religion. Especially the hindrance science receives in medicine from religion.

• Fair points, ones that I had not considered. I also agree, we are continuing to progress as we go on. Maybe the question should have been different, I always am curious as to how things work, take the self driven car for an example. It reminds me of the progression with no one in driving at times, not completely accurate, but it portrays the idea I was thinking. Either way, Thank you I appreciate the answer and it gives me something more to think over

• 4d

Great points. I agree. It is SO nice to discover things about people you meet rather than have the government or some bureau saying that I MUST respect this group or that. We have been moving backwards. Hopefully we can reverse this "progressive" trend.

• we are moving towards the days of Noah but are tech is not advanced enough yet

we still have to catch up

• No such thing as forward and backwards.

• How so? If you don't mind me asking?

• Yes, it's because the older people can't love on.

• Would you have meant move on. I will respect your opinion., but I would be remiss to not point out that in saying that you have helped in proving the point.