People who want the Seal Hunt in Northern Canada and Alaska to stop are saying they want the native population to starve and freeze to death.

This is my 1st mytake in months, I've turned off Anonymous opinions specifically because if you want to tell me these people who have been doing their thing since the paleolithic should starve, you should at least show your username.

9 dollars for Cereal
10 dollars for a gallon of milk
A gallon jug of water literally costs more than a gallon of gas.
4 dollars for a single tomato.

And a full 37 dollars for HALF of a watermelon.

And this is in freaking Utqiagvik, Alaska, previously named Barrow, one of the only North American Arctic Communities that ISN'T completely poverty stricken.

Everything has to be flown into these communities, and by the time produce can get there its often half way to being rotten.
So how do these people feed themselves and make money?
Through Seal Hunts, they hunt Seals and the meat actually provides the majority of their vitamins, they use the skin and hide to make clothing so they don't fucking freeze to death, they sell carved Walrus Ivory to tourists for a pretty penny and you know what 1 in 4 alaskan natives still live in goddamn poverty, Northern Canada inuits also face similar numbers.
Its estimated that The Natives of Northern Canada and Alaska have a 56 percent rate of food insecurity, many women report skipping meals to feed their family. OVER HALF THE GODDAMN PEOPLE ARE UNSURE IF THEY ARE GOING TO GET SOMETHING TO GODDAMN EAT.
You get groups like PETA who bitch and moan about the Seal Hunt and claim, oh we have no problem with the Natives hunting it.
Which is a complete and utter lie, considering the commercial seal hunt is one of the few economic activities left to the Native people, When PETA says they want to end it, they are saying they want the people who live there to starve, to be unable to afford heating or fresh water, or new clothing.
They are saying that these seals are more important than the lives of the people who have been living up there since the goddamn paleolithic but since some assholes who have never spent anytime in Rural North America, where people still hunt to make sure there is always food on the table let alone native settlements in the Arctic where rural poverty is a million times worse, say the seal hunt is evil and is pointless, a lot of people simply think the seal hunt is carried out simply because humans are evil.

This is nothing new, PETA and other kinds of these organizations are FILLED with thinly veiled racism at Indigenous people and who wouldn't give a damn if these communities are hurt.

Don't believe me?

Everyone remember that show whale wars on animal planet, the Sea shepard conservation group? Yeah fighting against Japanese Whaling is a good act, but you know what isn't, teaming up with white supremacists and racist lawmakers in Washington state specifically to fuck over the Makah Tribe and reduce their tribal autonomy, solely because they still carry out the whale hunt they have done for thousands of years.

But did they talk about that in the show? Not at all because they don't want to show the thinly veiled contempt a lot of these groups hold for Native peoples.

If you actually want this shit to stop, I don't know, maybe if you funded a truly massive amount of greenhouses then the people living up there might need to kill less seals, maybe if we sent serious money up there every year to keep these people alive and healthy they wouldn't have to sell Walrus Ivory to get by.

But right now, with Sky high rates of, Poverty, Hunger, Suicide, alcoholism, depression, and the racism they face, these people have enough problems, they don't need you to add to them.

914
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is the trend our society is headed to.

We intend to undermine the sovereignty of tribal nations. We intend to do away with federalism
    We intend to enforce it through large centralized government.
    It will be done under the banner of environmentalism, social justice and profiteering.

Also, sea lions are a huge problem on the Washington coast. Heavily protected, over populated in key areas killing off sturgeon and salmon. Why? Because some activists find their control distasteful so we kill off the sturgeon instead.

• I would argue that a centralized government is often the exact opposite of the problem, I see A LOT of attacks on Tribal sovereignty happen at the state level and really the only one in recent history that the state was in rhe right was in maine around the time Pet Semetary was released (the book, and it got referenced in the book) old documents came to light showing that way back when 3 Tribe was given ownership over what was like 95 percent of Maine, and the documents were legally binding.
      It was settled by Maine giving the tribes in questiom 81 million dollars.

• Well, sometimes difficult problems require out of the box thinking. I mean in reality, whats the difference between that and ….. a cattle ranch? Yah it sounds kinda weird at first, but its really just a great white north cattle ranch... right? I mean technically speaking yeah its more difficult, but conceptually the idea is the same.

• As a follow up, PETA actually blocked me on twitter today

Most Helpful Guys

• PETA stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. That sounds very nice, warm and fuzzy, and who could object to that, if indeed that's all it was?

It's actually a militant vehicle for animal rights extremism. And I'd say it's highly unethical in the extreme to ask these people to stop hunting a renewable resource, such as seals.

• What's weird to me is when you get people who do infact eat meat somehow be against hunting.
      Like how is Hunting an animal somehow less ethical than Factory Farming

• here's the tweets
      Replying to
      @peta
      Thankfully this violates education standards

@peta
      I can easily eat bacon.
      And tonight I'm having sausages

@peta
      How long till you kill this one, you bastard

In reference to a dog they 'rescued' they kill like 97 percent of the animals they steal.

Replying to
      @peta
      The moment I take health advice from a Vegan is the moment I develop an eating disorder

Replying to
      @peta
      Research also shows meat tastes fucking awesome

Replying to
      @peta

@CHOICEBISON
      and
      @FREEBISON
      Its been an accepted method of getting a constant source of protein since the development of agriculture in the Lower Neolithic period.
      Its sure as hell A LOT less weird when you consider the actual facts

That was about them claiming that drinking milk is truly bizarre and disgusting

• I'm proud of you!

• You are right. People who have an agenda often clothe themselves as do-gooders and it is incumbent on us to recognize that everything is not always what it purports to be.

PETA claims to have so much compassion for animals but what about the human animals? Where is the compassion for them?

Join the discussion

812
  • Yeah, I mean, these aren’t baby seal clubbers, these are hunters. I personally am too programmed from modern life to bring myself to kill an animal, since I can just go to a store and the meat is just there, the slaughter is out of sight and out of mind. But the food chain is all-natural. It may be uncomfortable to PETA people, but real, natural life is fucking GRUESOME, sorry to break it to you. Is PETA looking to ban polar bears and killer whales too, orrrrrr?

• Polar Bears are even worse, most of the time a polar bear is shot its because it was attempting to eat someone, Polar Bears, along with some species of crocodile are some of the only natural Maneaters left in the world, most other species, a maneater is a deviation from the norm.
      Nile Crocodiles eat like 300 people a year in Africa AND THAT'S ONLY THE ONES WE KNOW OF, Mugger crocodiles also eat a bunch of people yearly in Asia.
      And Saltwater Crocodiles, the largest reptiles alive, that males average over 10 feet and have been known to be nearly 20 feet and weigh over 2000 pounds also actively hunt humans, but other than Crocodiles the only real natural maneater left I know of is the polar bear which due to so little human contact and a nearly 100 percent carnivorous diet has been known to actively hunt humans.

• No doubt, I was just thinking more about them probably being the apex predators seals would have to worry about in their natural environment. But yeah, they’d eat people too, even PETA activists lmao

• I grew up partially in Newfoundland and Labrador. The seal trade is a mainstay in the culture there among both the Irish and the Inuit.

Anti Seal Hunt celebrities tried to come in and tell us to the shut down the seal hunting... well... let's just say they got their arses laughed out of the province.

• So is this different from the yearly baby seal clubbing? Because if it is then I'll have to research this. If it's not, i don't give a fuck what excuse you use.

• Ah so you care more about animals listed as least concern by the IUCN than you do about Native American and First Peoples massive poverty problem, good, very progressive and totally a rational thought

• So they are the same thing?

• Basically, except they take adults mostly and prefer to use rifles

• Yeah I say let native population live as they were. They aren’t the problem and their population isn’t large enough to be a problem.

Where’s the rub?

• Sure these people have done this for thousands of years but the world is changing and they are not, its inevitable that they'll have to adapt and move and probably no one tells them this reality.

• Really what other options do they have,
      Really. Do tell, its not like Greenpeace, PETA, or the Canadian and U. S governments seen to give a flying fuck about these people

• What is also distasteful was Japan whaling in Australian Waters, like do they Remember World War 2, the Aussies held rhe entire pacific until our entry in late 41 practically by themselves

• Sorryy wrong post

• Finally a mytake of yours I agree with, though I support the Japanese whalers too.

• I've got a lot of mytakes that aren't remotely political

• Continued,
      Now for part 2, even if the Seal Hunt wasn't sustainable I still would oppose taking it away because its one of the some things that keeps the poverty rate at only a little over a quarter. Which is an awful poverty rate in and of itself. If not for seal hunting it would be much higher.
      It would be similar to Coal, Coal isn't clean, Coal Companies severely hurt their Miners, coal companies hurt people sometimes they 'allegedly' even hire people to actually shoot people, the thing is they do pay well enough andAppalachia and other coal dependent regions are already suffering from incredibly high poverty rates. I am unwilling to further destroy these peoples lives and their communities and thus I'm only willing to take away the coal industry when we can find some other industry to move in and replace coal.
      But the Japanese Whalers don't have the necessity part or the sustainability part and therefore I cannot support them

• What is also distasteful was Japan whaling in Australian Waters, like do they Remember World War 2, the Aussies and Kiwis held rhe entire pacific until our entry in late 41 practically by themselves

• Yeah. They should stop their paleolithic age bullshit and integrate into modern 21st century society.

• They ARE thats what the commercial seal hunt is, its one of the only economic activities jn the area, over a fourth of Inuit live in Poverty and over half are food insecure despite this

• Yeah. Time to move south for better opportunities.

• I do t think they are saying that but though they really do need to stop they can eat something else I think

• "but though they really do need to stop they can eat something else I think"
      Really do tell how a group of people who, over half are unsure of their next meal, where a full quarter live in poverty, in a place where literally nothing grows, where all outside food and products have to be flown in, tell me again what they are going to eat.
      Again only half a watermelon is almost forty fucking dollars up there

• Oh never thought it that way.. but seals are so cute.

• Seals are also predators, they kill to survive and the Natives still kill seals to survive

• Too bad they never learned how to fish up north. Ohh wait...

• A. The people up there can get the nutrients they would otherwise get in vegetables from seals, they can't do that effectively with fish.
      B. The commerical hunt is one of the only bits of economic activity they can do, fish wouldn't do it

• Myth: The commercial seal hunt is a vital economic activity.
      Fact: The seal hunt is an economically marginal activity and could easily be phased out. Sealers are commercial fishermen who earn, on average, less than 5 percent of their annual incomes from killing seals—the remainder comes from fisheries including crab, shrimp and lobster. In recent years, only a few
      hundred fishermen have participated in the seal hunt annually. Even in Newfoundland, where most sealers live, income from the seal hunt accounts for less than one percent of the province’s economy.

learn more here.
      www.hsi.org/.../myths_and_facts_seal_hunt.pdf

• This is quite frankly a load of bullshit.
      A. Yes in the Impoverished Arctic communities this is one of the sole economic activities.
      B. This talks about the Harp seal.
      This is the range of the Harp Seal
      Notice something about it? Notice where the Harp Seal isn't, its not in Alaska or Much of Arctic Canada.
      The Inuit commercial seal hunt and let's not split hairs, here, the Inuits DO hunt seals and Walruses as an economic activity.
      By and large they hunt the Ringed Seal.

And yes the Inuit ARE dependent on the Seal trade
      www.cbc.ca/.../inuit-defend-canadas-seal-hunt
      C. A lot of seal hunting by the Inuit is done with Rifles and you can't get much more Humane.
      So that pamphlet is bullshit, and these people have enough problems without some assholes who have no idea of the staggering issue of Arctic Poverty to come and fuck them over because some guilible people don't realize that these species are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
      I'm sure they would be more than welcome to go up there and find out just how bad these people have it.

• tHATS freakin insane... I would love to live in alaska but than damn that price is crazy. I would start an indoor home grow vegtable farm... lol And sell out at 1/4 the price. lol

• Well that was extreme, I would call myself an environmentalist also a hunter, most people understand that hunting is important for survival depending on how you live and where you live, the point about not killing seals and whales is to preserve the population the native Alaskans and Canadian take a small portion of the seals for food and to live we understand that and have no issue with a sustainable amount to be harvested each year, what were agenst is people coming in destroying the seal population namely whites black asain etc outsiders coming in a hunting the seals down to an unsustainable level a population, The natives can hunt and fish all they need they maybe kill 100 seals a year way less then the commercial hunters coming in, it’s the Commercialized hunting were against

• The Inuit rely on the commercial hunt too

• Then there should be a limit, sell a designated amount of tags a year enough where the people can survive but enough that the seals have time to reproduce also an age limit with a off season every 10 years to rebuild the population it’s like any type of conservation there is a balance. images if we allowing anyone to hunt a dear anytime of year the population would be decimated within a few years. Like with the beaver in and sea otters in the Pacific north west. The fur industry lasted between 30-40 years because there was no control and no check on the population

• Hunting for food and hunting for skins are two different matters. Slaughter of harp seal cubs is not for food.

• 6d

PETA clothes themselves as do-gooders when they cause more damage than they solve.

• They know the facts. They just enjoy making themselves stupid (which they are already).

• No way should anyone try and dictate what indigenous people do on their land.

• It's this extremist BS that needs to stop.

I'm not particularly a fan of hunting, but that's just me; my personal experiences in life. However, I have nothing against hunting generally. I think it's a healthy thing, and often NECESSARY.

I only find hunting for fun and sport to be deeply immoral. Other than that, if you're hunting for food, in self-defense, or for population control, sure. That's absolutely fine! In this particular take it's NECESSARY FOR SURVIVAL. If people's very survival is at odds with conservation, let's figure something out. I like the idea of funding greenhouses. Even if there's an alternative to that, we just need to find a solution so people don't starve.

• Kill penguins to survive. Man is worth more than beasts.

• Good take

• I’m pro-Inuit

• Wow very interesting read!