Dear anyone of color!

Anonymous

Dear anyone of color (please read):

I am a white girl who is privileged. I never knew what that word really meant until these past few days because people that I trust, that I have built my social circle around have gave me a new perspective and I am very thankful for. The word “white privilege” doesn’t just stem from your social-economical background, it stems from your skin, white skin. All of my life I have thought of this word negatively... we have been programmed and taught in school only one definition of this term “white privilege”: having a high status socio-economic background. White people are born with the privilege of protection and security—something that is not granted to a POC.

I can’t fathom what it is like to be a POC... and I have the privilege to say that. I have the privilege to use my skin as a shield against judgement.

I have gone through adversity that would make me understand what it is like to live in fear, uncertainty, and misery that POC experience on a daily basis—but my experiences do not match up to those of a POC. We live entirely different lives, different worlds. My father was a drug addict, my mother was my abuser, my brother was my bully. I did worry about where my next days worth of food would come from, I did lack resources for succeeding academically. But I am white, living in a white community, living amongst white kids who do come from wealthy backgrounds. I will NEVER know what it is like to be a POC because I have lived in a white world my whole life. And that is unfortunate.

I will never know what it is like to step outside of my house into a world of fear, into a world of pure judgment—dangerous judgment. I will never know what it is like to feel oppressed by another race, or be in a situation where my skin color is the main contributing factor that leads to my death. George Floyd’s death has ignited the fire that was burned out in the 60s—or so we (while people) people thought. That fire was never burned out, it has always existed and the saddest part is that I have just realized that, and that right there is white privilege.

To whomever is reading this, I want you to know that I feel for you. Even though I may not be of the same skin color, part of me just wants to hug you and hold you and tell you that I am terribly sorry that I haven’t recognized this sooner—that it has taken me this long to realize the pain, discrimination, racism, danger you have been dragged through. No matter the neighborhood you come from, the people you are living with, the God you believe in, you are a person of color and that is enough to call you a warrior, a survivor.

What will I do to make sure that the pain you have gone through doesn’t get lost? I will educate other people and I will use my given privilege to promote anti-racism. Every man, woman, child, and person, needs to feel human but how is that possible when we live in a society like this? In a corrupt society of people, majority white people, of privilege that aren’t willing to acknowledge, educate, and contribute? You have my prayers, voice, and love. I will fight with you until everyone person of color has the freedom to feel human.

———

I am addressing this anonymously because I want my family information to stay confidential

———-

Dear anyone of color!
Dear anyone of color!
17
4

Most Helpful Girls

• Sorry about the things you went through growing up. Your family life sounds like it was really hard.

This is a beautiful letter and it was very considerate of you to take the time to write it. It would be nice if the rioters could know that there are people like you in the world.
    Is this still revelant?
  • Natashakir72
    Pigmentation of the skin can be more or less. Ranging from milk to almost black. It doesn't matter. It's just pigmentation. The rest is the same. Sometimes I feel I'm the only person in the world who can grasp this
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• American_Centurion
    White privilege is no more real than Asian privilege. Even the whole white vs people of color phrasing has been thought up to demonize whites and to try to group all non-whites as one against whites but life is not like that.
    Is this still revelant?
  • captain_voidwalker
    Ohh good lord woman enough with the white guilt your race is no more privileged than any other race. As a Hispanic this white guilt shit sickens me, you are not responsible for other peoples bad decisions
    Is this still revelant?
    • Anonymous

Never said that I was responsible for other people’s bad decisions. Did you even read my take?

• Yes I did and like I said white privilege is bullshit, privilege period is bull shit. We all get good and bad circumstances in life. Don't buy into that intersectional bull shit.

• JackSmy

@captain_voidwalker Amen, Sir!! We all have issues, but how we relate, and understand each other is most important!! I agree, that the 'white guilt' crap is nauseating, but some need that, to deal with their feelings and not understanding history, and that they had NOTHING to do with what happened, but they still feel socially-induced guilt, for just being WHITE!!

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

215
  • Dinosaursandanime65
    None of these lives of worth anything including yours. I've seen the other side. There's nothing, you're nothing
    • Anonymous

Huh?

• Knuxx
    I honestly wish you the best of luck in attempting to spread a strong message of peace and solidarity. I do however fear that you as a "white women" have a chance for your message to be viewed with skepticism by many, including POC. Don't let people that have become jaded due to thier past experiences or the way they were raised stop you from being a new voice of reason.
  • lsjr16
    To the person who wrote this topic/ question thank you for that. White privilege is not taught and is ok you didn’t know you had it. Thanks for being woke and being educated. I ask that when you encounter racism that you educate you friends about it. Cause i am pretty sure they listen to hip hop and black culture but do not know the history. We are in this together
  • hellacray
    Lol I cringed and stopped reading when I saw "I am a white girl who is privileged."
    • Anonymous

And yet you decided to comment? Ok.

• hellacray

What? Am I not allowed to post a comment?

• Anonymous

No it just doesn’t make any sense to comment when you aren’t addressing the post

• zagor
    Sorry, but to insinuate that some white kid growing up in Appalachia is automatically better off than the children of Michael Jordan or Will Smith is sheer BS. Does racism still affect lives? Sure. But to say it is the most significant influence on whether someone ends up on Wall Street or living on the street is nonsense.
  • Can we stop giving whites all the fault? This is bullshit. It is not your fault what happened to blacks in the past.
  • Deaksthebeast
    You don't have privilege, there's no such thing. Stop pushing your pessimistic view point on other people
    • Anonymous

How are my words in any way pessimistic? Wtf.

• Cuz you're making it sound like we live in a terrible world where white people don't have to worry about anything when that's just not true.

• Anonymous

Well that is how you perceive it

• KrakenAttackin
    You cannot imagine how much POC's hate you just because you are white.
    • Anonymous

Sounds like their problem 🤷‍♀️

• Perhaps, until they are rioting in your neighborhood.

• Dchrls78104
    The truth is, prejudice of any kind is wrong. Racism is for the demented and has brought with it a lot of false entitlement. Good take.
  • Bananaman177
    1488
    1488
  • WarAmongUS
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/ajaqY2vd7fwlets ask these kind gentlemen...
  • Nixantos
    Humans are racist where ever u go its not gonna change i Thing. But I, no Im not Racist.
    • Anonymous

I never said you were lol

• Joker_
    I know you're not a white girl
    • Anonymous

I know you’re not a a 17 year old guy

• Joker_

sure dude

• SecretGardenBlood65
    Great take
  • jspl90
    Hmm please give me some of that white privilege
  • Anonymous
    Sigh... If we keep talking and acting as if racism is a thing to be solved, it will continue to be a thing that has to be solved. Why can’t we stop talking about it and treat each other as humans instead of focusing on race and perceived privilege?
    • lsjr16

Unfortunately racism is a things. We should treat others as humans however race plays a part in everything such as housing, education, work and the way people are views in this country. If people treated each other as humans you would have The LGBTQ community fighting for equal treatment under the law as well. People don’t treat each other as humans cause of what occurred through slavery and after slavery.

• BlckGrl

Racism is a thing I'm assuming you are a white male so you will not understand

• WarAmongUS

@BlckGrl so what about Jews who identify as white? They haven’t seen racism either?

• Anonymous
    Way to fixate on race way more than anyone else wants to, racist.
    • Anonymous

I’m not sure what that means.. learn the definition of racism before you use it.

• Anonymous

How about *you* look it up. It means unjust discrimination on the basis on race, that’s what you’re doing.

Another common aspect of it is the belief in your own race’s superiority: you straight up said you’re privileged and advantaged because of your white skin, not because of mere socioeconomic circumstance. I’m sure you feel that you’re virtuous, but you’re basically the guilty white supremacist who feels bad about it and wants to help the poor feeble inferior races.

• Anonymous

People like you need to go back to 6th grade. God bless you and your ignorance. Peace.