How Would a Mixed Gender Prison Be?

Prisons are separated by genders for a reason where males and females goes to different prisons, but I'm wondering how it would be if men and women went to the same one. It's not common from what I've understood. I've heard it's a thing in Scandinavia, at least in Norway, but there's very little information about it on the internet though.

If you've heard about it, what do you know? If you don't know, how do you think it would be? Is it good or bad idea, Why/why not? #Prison #Gender #MixedPrisons
How Would a Mixed Gender Prison Be?

1637

Most Helpful Guys

• That might not be correct, at least as of my source in 2013. What was the source of the claim?
    "The Norwegian prison where inmates are treated like people"
    25 Feb 2013
    「Life for the prisoners is as normal as it is possible to be in a prison. It feels rather like a religious commune; there is a sense of peace about the place, although the absence of women (apart from some uniformed guards) and children is noticeable.」
    www.theguardian.com/.../norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people

"Why Scandinavian Prisons Are Superior"
    24 Sep 2013
    www.theatlantic.com/.../
    From preliminary reading, there doesn't seem to be indication of the facilities being co-ed.

Unless the change happened after 2013, a review of the source may be in order.

• Horrible idea. Straight men in prison rape other men because that’s their only option. They’d tear women apart if they could get to them. And that’s not the only issue. If you have coed prisons then prisoners would want to get married, and then have children. Or just have sex and children. Then you have to think about the potential for abuse to take place in the system. There are other factors as well. Prisons are bad enough as is, no need to add more problems. Hell they need to go back to actually reforming prisoners instead of just throwing them in a hole.

Most Helpful Girls

• If I remember correctly, women commit less than 10% of crimes that lead to prison sentences here in Finland, so I think it might not be that different from a regular prison. But I'm not familiar with how often prisoners get to interact with other prisoners. It might be a bad idea, especially if there is hostility towards the other gender. However, in a minimal security prison it's probably already in use, because the prisoners already interact with a bunch of people. But I guess it would definitely depend on the type of prison and the prisoners.

• I don’t think it would be that different IF these prisons were filled with new prisoners and not one that are already or have already served time. Like it would have to be completely new system with new inmates. And then maybe over time it can become the new norm.