How Would a Mixed Gender Prison Be?

Prisons are separated by genders for a reason where males and females goes to different prisons, but I'm wondering how it would be if men and women went to the same one. It's not common from what I've understood. I've heard it's a thing in Scandinavia, at least in Norway, but there's very little information about it on the internet though.

If you've heard about it, what do you know? If you don't know, how do you think it would be? Is it good or bad idea, Why/why not? #Prison #Gender #MixedPrisons
How Would a Mixed Gender Prison Be?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• That might not be correct, at least as of my source in 2013. What was the source of the claim?
    "The Norwegian prison where inmates are treated like people"
    25 Feb 2013
    「Life for the prisoners is as normal as it is possible to be in a prison. It feels rather like a religious commune; there is a sense of peace about the place, although the absence of women (apart from some uniformed guards) and children is noticeable.」
    www.theguardian.com/.../norwegian-prison-inmates-treated-like-people

"Why Scandinavian Prisons Are Superior"
    24 Sep 2013
    www.theatlantic.com/.../
    From preliminary reading, there doesn't seem to be indication of the facilities being co-ed.

Unless the change happened after 2013, a review of the source may be in order.

0|0
    0|0
  • Horrible idea. Straight men in prison rape other men because that’s their only option. They’d tear women apart if they could get to them. And that’s not the only issue. If you have coed prisons then prisoners would want to get married, and then have children. Or just have sex and children. Then you have to think about the potential for abuse to take place in the system. There are other factors as well. Prisons are bad enough as is, no need to add more problems. Hell they need to go back to actually reforming prisoners instead of just throwing them in a hole.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If I remember correctly, women commit less than 10% of crimes that lead to prison sentences here in Finland, so I think it might not be that different from a regular prison. But I'm not familiar with how often prisoners get to interact with other prisoners. It might be a bad idea, especially if there is hostility towards the other gender. However, in a minimal security prison it's probably already in use, because the prisoners already interact with a bunch of people. But I guess it would definitely depend on the type of prison and the prisoners.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it would be that different IF these prisons were filled with new prisoners and not one that are already or have already served time. Like it would have to be completely new system with new inmates. And then maybe over time it can become the new norm.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It would still be divided by sex. One side would house male inmates and the other side would house female inmates. Mingling between males and females would be limited.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is a bad Idea. We all know men have muscles and woman are fragile. Putting them together will be death sentence. We are all aware of acts that takes place in prison, same gender raping each other, fights and murder happening in the plus bulling. Seperating them was minus one problem. Women are not physically strong and men cab take adventage of them.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think their would be more murder in prison than ever. Any rapes or accusations would end in blood by some girls man killing another man. It would be terrible I think. Girls would probably become more of an object than you've ever seen. It would be like the viking age but prison style.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having been a mixed gender training environment in the military, I can tell you what would happen. People would be trying to have sex with each other all the time, although most of the women would probably be having sex with a relatively small number of guys. Prison guards and other personnel would also be having sex with inmates.

0|0
    0|0
  • You get a rape, you get a rape and youuuuu get a rape.

Rape everywhere and murder.

By the way when I Say rape I'm talking both ways men to women and women to men as well as men to men and women to women.

1|2
    0|0
  • Bad Idea.
    Prison is supposed to help to reform and rehabilitate people. That is going to be much more of a problem when the likelihood of sexual assault increases. It will only serve to scar them mentally. Roughly 4% of prisoners in the US reported being sexually victimized, and these are same sex prisons. I predict that it would get much worse.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was thinking the same thing.
    There would be a massive rape problem, but on the other hand I think murders would be down and prisoners would be less angry if they were getting some pussy.

I think it would work in some cultures, but not others.
    We should try it somewhere just to find out.

Maybe for nonviolent offenses

0|0
    0|0
  • It would be a TRAINWRECK. In prison you are either Predator or prey. Either way you are not always in danger. With women pushed in the equation, there would be guys who would try to eliminate other guys. It would be chaos.
    Prison is pretty organized. There are rules people are to follow and if they don't there is violence.
    This would eliminate the rules.

0|0
    0|0
  • gonna be lots of babies being made.
    lots of rape accusations
    lots of sexual misconduct
    imagine going to a prison and seeing both ur mom and dad behind a glass window

2|2
    0|0
  • This is like a if I put fire on gasoline would that be a good or bad thing type of question if it was practical it would be widely practiced it's not. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to let women prisoners suffer at the hands of male prisoners

0|0
    0|0
  • I imagine that those prisons are probably super low security, like white collar prisons. Having men and women together in more violent prisons would just lead to lots of rape.

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot of rape and unwanted pregnancies. No thanks!!

2|2
    0|0
  • STD's and lots of sexual harrassments. Not necessarily rape, since usually rapists have a bad time in prison.
    Depends on the level of the institution, a level 4 prison might be total hell. But a level 1 prison might, just might, work out.

0|0
    0|0
  • A place with lots of rape, pregnancies, and STDs.

4|6
    0|1
    • As if normal prisons are not that already?

• Show All
    • @Soteris lot's on nations? Some are mixed where they can visit, but not actually being in the same cell and out in the yard, like female inmates with male inmates. Somebody already posted on here and replied how that's not actually true. The one's that have that are most likely white collar, , low level jails like I said. Most prisons and one's that take in the most men are the state prisons that have the very bad men. It would be dangerous for these women, more so than male inmates. BEcause most men are straight. Some men rape others in prison but iot's more so as domination. These men who are in prisons are in for umm, having raped many women. So then here are women now in the prison , that will not go well unless very monitored which is very difficult as the number of guards to inmates is very lopsided. Get a clue.

• @brennanhuff Right... Have you even seen prisons outside of USA in the first place?

• In prison it would be harder to have sex than it would be to deal and use drugs. The prison would have to prevent women from getting pregnant.

0|0
    0|0
  • Let’s just say there would be a lot more furlough for going to the hospital to have babies

0|2
    0|0
  • Basically rape, rape and more rape

4|6
    0|0
    • Yeah, that already happens.

• Show All
    • I agree, definitely more pregnancies, GUARANTEED. More sex feels like a certainty. However I'm just wondering as to how non-consensual it would be. Consider that both the men and women had to have done bad things, these are tough women, sometimes dangerous ones. And you don't have to be bad to do bad things, what if you made a mistake? You can go to prison for a mistake, or a bad decision, take manslaughter, accidentally ending a life by a road accident or wrestling, locking someone in a room and them dying etc, or not filing taxes properly because you're not good with numbers and thought you had more time. Good people make mistakes so not everyone in prison should be seen as bad. When you look at riot footage there's plenty of times prisoners have saved the lives of guards, check that on YouTube. Also prisoners go after pedophiles and rapists worse than any other groups, so I just wonder if they would actually be more protective of girls. I don't know, I'm not saying I can see the future, but I do wonder. You're right some people just do bad things constantly and I can understand why you might think of them as bad people. I'm just trying to look at it from all angles, I feel like you'll be able to appreciate that ☺

• Prison rape men-men is typically seen as an act of dominance and aggression by the way, not sexual. Just from what I've read and watched.

• A rape factory

5|7
    0|0
    • lol Maybe They need a hobby. xx

• Show All
    • @Ellie-V I meant defending herself vs a woman than a man. I somehow thought I tried that but left it out

• That doesn’t really matter in my opinion.

• It's a thing in the Faroe Islands, even though there only is one small prison, it's called Mjørkadalur. But yeah, nothing really happens there

0|0
    0|0
  • I support it. Even an inmate needs the opposite gender. Maybe just to spend time with, but I think they could even date if they want.

0|0
    2|1
  • Look how little confidence the other people who commented have in men! The only thing you're focused on is rape.

0|0
    2|0
    • You know that more men are raped in prison - by other men - than women outside of prison right? I'm the first one to talk against ridiculous feminist misandry, but it's the truth that a lot of rape goes on in prison. Don't forget that the kinds of men who go to prison are usually absolute scumbags also. It would be even worse with women in prison.

Many people warned against allowing trans-women into female prisons, because obviously underneath they're male. Many made the same argument as yourself, that this was transphobic, yet there are many examples of these "trans-women", men, sexually assaulting female inmates:

www.BBC.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-45825838

• Show All
    • Rape in prison is a huge issue. I'll say it again - more men are raped in prison than women outside of prison - that means that the biggest rape victims in our society are men in prison.

Women also aren't going to be able to rape men in prison.

• Depends on how it would be done. Any coed contact would need to be carefully monitored.

0|0
    0|0
  • An absolute regret. Rape, stds, more brawls over females. Wouldn't be a good idea

0|1
    0|0
  • A logistical nightmare and massive liability for the facility

0|0
    0|0
    • @stuntbrain
      However, also would be a great asset for nature to keep producing sociopaths...
      We usually see a criminal having a child who follows his/her steps...(family business on a whole new level!!)

• Bad idea

1|1
    0|0
  • FOOD FIGHT!!! lolxxoo

0|1
    0|0
  • I would rather be dead lol 😂

0|0
    0|0
    • You wouldn't want to see the opposite gender for the whole time you're in prison?

• Show All
    • I’m sure a large portion of prisoners don’t care about their sentence anymore, yeah there’s probably some nice men in prison however there’s more rapists, murderers and serial killers because it’s a prison lol.

• Maybe only lower security prisons would be mixed. They would open door for you and be very respectful. I think men love women in common very much and even close to normal men wouldn't violate women. With women in other hand you could be in trouble.

• A fucking disaster

2|1
    0|0
  • A rape fest

2|0
    0|0
  • Pregnancies and STI/STDs everywhere.

1|0
    0|0
  • Rape rape and sex and love lol

1|0
    0|0
  • A literal f***ing disaster.

1|0
    0|0
  • Prison babies everywhere

1|0
    0|0
  • Baaaaaaaaaaaaad idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • A rape aroma

0|0
    0|0
  • Full of diseases😷

0|0
    0|0
  • Every inmate needs to get neutered beforehand

0|1
    0|0
  • Lots of pregnant prison women probably

0|1
    0|0
  • FUCKED!

0|0
    0|0
  • l would put all those cunts down low life fuckers

0|0
    0|0
  • No need for conjugal visits!

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol it would be a mess.

0|0
    0|0
  • Encapsulated rape orgy

0|0
    0|0
  • Be lots of sex and sometimes unwanted pregnancies

1|2
    0|0
  • Female prisoners would get butt fucked even more than male prisoners.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well since rape is already a huge issue in prison I don’t think mixing women and male prisons would help the issue lol

1|2
    0|0
  • It's rare, but it does exist in the U. S. But the inmates are kept physically separate. They can only see and talk to each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Prisons are already rape factories. They'd turn into abortion factories as well

1|0
    0|0
  • Every female inmate would get raped at least 10 times per day. And it's overall a terrible idea. Norway may be able to get away with it because Norway prisons are a joke, their prisoners live better than the majority of free people in other, less developed countries

2|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes