Do housewives still exist in developed countries?

I have always wondered this. In earlier times, it was usually the men who earned, whereas the women stayed at home to take care of kids, perform household duties etc. I reside in a third world country where this system is almost gone, but there are still some women of present generation who'd prefer to be housewives or homemakers. And their husbands don't usually mind it too.
So I just wanted to know, does the concept of 'housewife' still exist, however rare it may be, in developed first world countries like England, Australia, America etc. with the present generation?

P. S. This is NOT about women being considered inferior to men so they have to be housewives. Its just a general question. Besides, I certainly feel that there is nothing 'inferior' about being a housewife.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, some do. Most men aren't stupid enough to let them be housewives, since the laws are designed to screw over the breadwinner. If the woman is making her own money it makes it almost impossible to get much alimony if any. So the woman isn't rewarded monetarily by divorcing him. It is safer for the man's financial future to have his wife work.

Having the woman work also gives her less time to cheat as well. The few housewives I have met are all having affairs to fill their dull lives, while they guy is busting his butt to provide for her.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yea it still exists, but to a lesser degree. It's not so rare that both the men and women are working full time jobs while also having children. Household duties are somewhat shared between the two when they come home, though slightly more looked after by the woman.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Around where I live in the US Midwest I'd guess over half of the married women with kids are housewives. In other parts of the country it's much lower percent. When I grew up probably 90% were housewives.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes housewives still exist. My mother was a housewife as was many of my aunts. There's nothing wrong or sexist about it despite what the media propagates. My brother in law is on his way to becoming a house husband as my sister makes way more money than he does.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nowadays, many people can't be stay at home moms or dads because the cost of living is just too high... Unless one person makes more than enough to support an entire family.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes this is why they have all of those stupid housewives shows on VH1 and MTV

0|0
    0|0
  • They exist, my wife is stay at home. It's best for kids in mho so that's why it's done.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they're hidden beneath lazy trophy wives.

0|0
    1|1

Recommended myTakes