How do people greet each other in your country?

The first step is always the hardest..
The first step is always the hardest..

I just learned that that there's a country (or city not sure) in Africa where to greet other people... You spit on their feet.
Thought it was special so I wonder what are the different ways people greet each other around the world.

I'm French so obviously the famous "bises" or kiss on the cheek is what's more natural for me. A handshake is also the usual.

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• I have a friend who lived in New York, Chicago, the U. P... and then came down to where I live for work. The biggest culture shock to her was the hug greeting. It seems like everyone does it around here. Not speaking like “best friends,” which makes sense, but professionals and acquaintances and people who aren’t particularly close.

That’s apparently a regional thing, not just the country...

Otherwise it’s pretty standard stuff... handshakes, “How are you, good to meet you,” etc

1|1
    0|0
  • The spitting is in Kenya and Tanzania, but only in the Massai tribe.

In my country they just say, "Hi" "Good morning" "What's up?" if it's your friend.

My Polish grandmother didn't like this "hi". She was like, what is this "hi"? "Hi Hitla!"LOL

1|0
    0|0
    • 6 d ago

Yes thank you! The person who told me about this forgot to say the name of that tribe.

Most Helpful Girls

• If it is a friend at the same social level as me - I say "Hey"
    If it is a professor I am not close to but respect - I say "Hi"
    If it is somebody I meet in a setting that is both formal and also casual like church or charity or if it is a young shop owner selling me a product II will say - "Hello"

0|0
    0|0
    • 7 d ago

Without any physical contact?

• 6 d ago

I don't usually hug males and I only hug very affectionate females who initiate the hugging or have a habit of hugging everybody. I don't hug females who selectively hug some friends and not others.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Saying hi or good morning

0|0
    0|0
  • Ughhh they’re too freaking touchy. It’s always a kiss and I hate that shit. I hate catching cooties so I gotta pretend I’m sick and cough like crazy and then I cough on my hands so that when they try to shake my hand I say aaah I’ve been coughing alll daaay and they go ewww

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends... I'm Latina in the United States. We greet with kisses on the cheeks and hugs. Usually it is a hand shake or a hug. Overall, different strokes for different folks :-) It's a whole melting pot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where I live we say " hey how are you?" but it's not really a question and the typical response is "hey good how are you" when greeting someone. We shake hands when first meeting someone but it's not really common in my area but that may be because we all know everyone already.

0|0
    0|0
  • Living in a multi cultural country (Mauritius), we have different ways of greeting someone.
    In Creole we say "Bonzour", there is also Bonjour or Good morning.
    When it comes to my culture/religion I say "Namaste" , sometimes we also touches the feet of our elders to mark respect upon greeting them.
    And there is also the kiss on the cheek.

0|0
    0|0
  • In Thai culture, they do this by putting their hands together in a prayer-like gesture and raising them to a position somewhere between the chest and forehead and then bow.

1|0
    0|0
  • The " greeting " in some less desirable parts of the UK is " Who the fuck are you lookin' at? " On a more serious note , strangers tend to ignore each other here , and there is generally no touching apart from handshakes , I am NOT a hugger have found Southern Euroupe a bit of a culture shock. Generally a short hello / hi or similar and that's it.

0|0
    0|0
  • In the US it depends because there is a wide variety of communities. Among the Hispanic communities, kissing on the cheek is popular. But handshakes are probably the most common form of greeting. People hug family or close friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hello with a handshake with I meet someone for the first time.
    Hello with a hug when it comes to friends and family. Sometimes the occasional kiss on the cheek when it comes to family.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country we shake hands, hug and we give a kiss on the cheek. 😊

0|1
    0|0
  • The formal greeting were I'm from is "sup bitches?"

0|0
    0|0
  • If I can get away with a smile and/or a wave, I will. If you want to touch me, don't be surprised if I'm hesitant.

0|0
    0|0
  • All kinds (hugs, kisses, handshakes, high-fives, waves ect).

0|0
    0|0
  • You say something like Hallo or Hoi or goedemorgen. If it's someone you know you might give them a hug or kisses on the cheek🤗

0|0
    0|0
  • As you probably know, in America people don't kiss each other unless they are lovers or close family, so we don't do the cheek kiss that some Europeans do. We just shake hands.

0|0
    0|0
  • For girls and guys with girls, a hug. With guys and guys, a handshake and a bro hug.

1|0
    0|0
  • A hand shake, hugging everyone comes out of new age and hippie bull shit. Trying to socially engineer human beings as if they have a right.

0|0
    0|0
  • Simple '

Hi, "how you doing"

or "way di seen"?

0|0
    0|0
  • Just say 'hello'. People also give 3 kisses on the cheek in certain situations

0|0
    0|0
  • we shake hands. opposite sex will sometimes hug in more close/informal situations.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hugs followed by cheek to cheek kisses where the cheeks just touch followed by kisses in the air

0|0
    0|0
  • In America we say hi , hello, what’s good , head nod, a hug or a handshake

0|0
    0|0
  • We give two/three kisses on the cheeks (Italy)

1|0
    0|0
  • With a handshake, hug, or wave 💜💙

0|1
    0|0
  • Omg heyyy bitchhh

0|0
    0|0
  • Handshake
    Hi
    Howdy
    How’s it going

0|0
    0|0
  • “What’s up”
    😂😂 California sucks

0|0
    0|0
  • In my country people kiss each other on the cheeks

0|0
    0|0
  • Handshake or Wave

0|0
    0|0
  • In India, we kiss on lips! :P

0|0
    0|0
  • Hi..

0|0
    0|0
  • 🙏🙏👋☺

0|0
    0|0
  • A handshake or a hug or simply saying hi

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually just nodding at each other

0|0
    0|0
  • Hey Wemix! * splits on your face*

In our country there is little to no physical contact. We say something like " ahh hey" or "how are you" or a simple bro handshake if it is between friends.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5 d ago

Oh sorry its feet 😬
      *wipe your face and splits on your feet*

• Spit on feet?
    First time hearing about this. Lmao how you feel if somebody spit on your feet

0|0
    0|0
    • 6 d ago

Well disgusted and attacked if out of that context lol

• 6 d ago

It's done by the Massai of Kenya and Tanzania

• 6 d ago

No that's not good if somebody greeting you 😂 😂
      You must have to spit on their feet in return 😂 😂

Recommended myTakes