How do people greet each other in your country?

The first step is always the hardest..
The first step is always the hardest..

I just learned that that there's a country (or city not sure) in Africa where to greet other people... You spit on their feet.
Thought it was special so I wonder what are the different ways people greet each other around the world.

I'm French so obviously the famous "bises" or kiss on the cheek is what's more natural for me. A handshake is also the usual.

2020

Most Helpful Guys

• I have a friend who lived in New York, Chicago, the U. P... and then came down to where I live for work. The biggest culture shock to her was the hug greeting. It seems like everyone does it around here. Not speaking like “best friends,” which makes sense, but professionals and acquaintances and people who aren’t particularly close.

That’s apparently a regional thing, not just the country...

Otherwise it’s pretty standard stuff... handshakes, “How are you, good to meet you,” etc

• The spitting is in Kenya and Tanzania, but only in the Massai tribe.

In my country they just say, "Hi" "Good morning" "What's up?" if it's your friend.

My Polish grandmother didn't like this "hi". She was like, what is this "hi"? "Hi Hitla!"LOL

• 6 d ago

Yes thank you! The person who told me about this forgot to say the name of that tribe.

Most Helpful Girls

• If it is a friend at the same social level as me - I say "Hey"
    If it is a professor I am not close to but respect - I say "Hi"
    If it is somebody I meet in a setting that is both formal and also casual like church or charity or if it is a young shop owner selling me a product II will say - "Hello"

• 7 d ago

Without any physical contact?

• 6 d ago

I don't usually hug males and I only hug very affectionate females who initiate the hugging or have a habit of hugging everybody. I don't hug females who selectively hug some friends and not others.