How To Deal with Trolls: Just Blow Them Off

SovereignessofVamps

Trolls are evillll....so what can you do?

So, people like this are really good at being passive aggressive. They'll try and always seem like you attacked them, or they're right and you're totally wrong. You can debate and eventually win, but then they won't reply back! So you wasted all of your time, and it hits you that they never cared about the subject, they just wanted to vent. You can block or report, but that doesn't work on all sites, plus why have drama with people all the time anyway....The truth is that I <3 debating. But I've found out a lot of people just aren't interested and only want to fight.

Another reason I hate fighting trolls, is because it's kind of like you take responsibility for them. They know they're just messing with you, and so if you try to explain things logically it won't matter. So it's like you try to make them be more mature, or listen and calm down. But they're totally ignoring your posts, and don't care about how they effect you at all.

I actually do like to just be totally silent and ignore them a lot too, but if you're like me and also just need to say something, then these two ways could help you.

Just say that you don't care:

So, you can just keep it simple. In whatever your fave way is, just tell them you don't care about what they say. It sounds childish, and stupid. It's like the polar opposite of how you want to sound, especially when you have a serious point. But it works great. The trolls either repeat what they said before and show you how it's all really nonsense, or they don't reply at all.

Trolls need reactions so if you don't, then they can't do anything. A tip would be to not say you don't care, and then add details. Like if you said "I don't care, I like x over y.", it's best not to do that in my experience. Like you can, but the trolls will use the "x over y." to get you to argue, like they'll make it really personal. So you'll have to repeat that you don't care, or have more useless comments to ignore. So if you just say you don't care, then they have nothing to work with.

Just say nonsense:

Trolls say nonsense, but can't work with it themselves. At all. So you can just say random things that have nothing to do with your point, and it works. The trolls will just be confused and leave you alone. It's fun to do this, a lot. It's so easy since you can just think of anything to say. And it makes the troll look stupid.

So basically:

The truth is that although trolls try to get you to react or take them seriously, it doesn't have to matter. Even if other people join in, they're just miserable too. That doesn't mean everyone disagrees with you. So instead of justifying your opinion, just...don't.

10
3

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    A common misconception, which leads to innocent people getting gobbled up by trolls, is believing that the troll is miserable.

While that may be true in isolated cases, more often the troll is actually a smart, well developed person with a slightly sadistic sense of humor. They, in fact, may likely have a better job than you do. But everyone now and then, they use you as a pressure release, like taking a piss. You just happen to be the toilet... even high achievers need to relieve themselves.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Dred1614returns
    I usually dismiss them with "cool", "sure" or "good for you".
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

29
  • MrMysteryMan
    I love the fact that people try to get me upset over a COMPUTER. It never works because I have no idea who they are, for one. And I will never, ever, see them in person most likely. Also, what can someone possibly do to another over the computer, unless they are a supreme hacker or something. Then, you just get a new computer, and change all your ID/credentials. The internet is not a scary place if you don't let it be.
  • MarriedMale43
    There is only one acceptable response to a troll: DON'T FEED IT.

If you're on a moderated forum, flag for your mod. If your forum has tools to hide or block a user, use 'em. Don't respond, let 'em just fall off the front page, and they will go away.

Whatever you do, please don't quote their eight paragraph diatribe with a one-liner response, 'cause then ME having blocked THEM doesn't help me! :D
  • MarkRet
    What gets annoying is if somebody on GaG really wants some help or advice, but the thought goes through my mind, "Is this a person that wants a real answer, or is this a troll messing with my head?"
    • Leandri

Yeah I also feel like annoyed, don't really know what questions to take seriously

• Corran7
    I completely agree. I have to admit that some trolls still get to me.
  • superdouch
    did you really just wrote an anti trolling guide lmao
  • PT1911
    I've kept my shitposting here to a minimum
  • CT_CD
    I hate trolls
  • Anonymous
    ignoring is best
  • Anonymous
    I like to vent at times, but most of the time, I post who I am.
    Thanks for not saying annoying, for that I am not. Sometimes we all like to have some fun on this site.
  • Anonymous
    sure, chicks can blow me off anytime