My fiancee left me for a rich older man?

My fiancee, she's 24, left me for a 65 year old in March and I'm devastated and cannot understand why.

We have been together for five years and were due to marry in Aug 2013. She is gorgeous and has a stunning body and has never been short of admirers, but she was very down to earth and extremely hard working and ambitious.

She went to a conference with her work in November last year and came back from it acting strange and quiet. It was the following month that she admitted she had been in regular contact with a man she had met at that conference but told me it was purely friendship and I had nothing to worry about.

But later in December she came home wearing a very very expensive diamond necklace, which clearly she couldn't have bought herself, and she told me that he had bought it her as a Christmas present. I demanded to know what on earth was going on and who was he and she finally confessed that he was 65 and owned his own businesses and he had spoilt her with a few things that she had kept secret from me.

At the start of March she told me she was leaving me for him and she moved in with him immediately, quitting her career in the process.

She had never ever been materialistic. We both had excellent jobs and we werent in debt and had fantastic savings. A few times she showed me stories on the internet about young goldiggers and she used to tell me it was sad of them to chase older men, yet she left me for a 65 year old.

Why would she go against everything she had ever said about that type of girl and become one herself? I know I need to move on, which I am trying to, but some thoughts from people would be really appreciated.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am so sorry to read this. All I can do is put a positive spin on it if I can & if you will accept these. All this may be is the temptation to escape reality, beam me up Scotty & immediately get some insulation from the pains of life. Look at it as a business deal, such as Onassis made Jackie Kennedy - it's not so much love & sex as it is a trophy for him.

Guys are keeling over from late 40's to 70's - some make it past that but not married to 24 year old speed boats. What if the future revealed that she prepared a luxury nest for the two of you to occupy - after the 65yo kicks the bucket? Not your dream but couldn't this be a version of it? Think about your other "us" dreams that would be so much easier to fulfill via loans, cash, property, etc.!

The other scenario is divorce with settlement, then what if she wants you back? Would you forgive her heart that always loved you OR cut off your nose to spite your face?

Perhaps you wouldn't do this for her but it seems to me she just might be doing this for you ... "us".