How To Tell A Guy You're Not Interested In Him

As someone who doesn't like confrontation I used to avoid guys who liked me. I would go out of my way to avoid these guys because I didn't want to tell them I wasn't interested in them. Then I discovered a much easier way to get out of those situations. I TOLD THEM. Avoiding them didn’t work, so I flat out told them I was not interested. Turns out most guys appreciate it when you tell them you're not interested instead of just stringing them along.

How do I show him I'm not interested in him anymore?

Be honest

Tell him you’re not interested in him “like that.” Sure he’ll be sad/upset, but it’s better to tell him now so you don’t lead him on in the future.

Tell him why you don’t like him

It’s not enough to say, “I don’t like you.” Explain yourself. Do you think your better off as friends or do you like someone else? Let him know.

No excuses

If a guy keeps asking you to hang out, don’t make up something to get out of it. If he’s into he’s going to keep asking you to hang regardless of your excuses.

Don’t go out with him

If you’re not into a guy don’t keep going out with him. If you continue to go on dates with him he’s going to think you like him.

Don’t flirt

If you flirt with a guy he’s going to think he still has a shot with you.

Stop responding

If one of the options above doesn’t work stop responding to his texts, calls, Facebook messages, etc. Yes, it’s harsh, but if you’ve already told him you’re not into him and he continues to message you this may be your only choice.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 7

• Do it as soon as you can so that we could find another ;)

• Not rocket science, be cool, calm, collective, tell the guy you are not interested in a NICE tone and if he name calls that is his problem. He is the one making a fool of himself and enlightening others of his true character.

• Best way to do it is "I'm not interested in you". The simplest and most effective way possible.

• Amen, preach sister preach the more honest you are the better the better the guy will feel, and better you can relax, literally spot on post

• Thank you!

Seriously ladies, just tell us

• Don't ask the dude he wants to be just friends lol, that's horrible.

• That makes a great GAG take. But, now, when we come back to the real world, we need to keep using the old stand-bys that have worked so well for long.

Fact is you're going to lie. It's my fault that I can't be the man you need right now in your life (lol)

For men: Baby, it's not you, it's me.

For women: I'm just not sure what I want and think I need some space.

:-)

https://youtu.be/D0W1v0kOELA

• "I'm not sure what I want"

A girl should never say that to a guy she isn't interested in. Ever. I'm sure your generation was better at this but good god, guys these days do. Not. Stop. you can't say anything BUT "I'm not interested". If you say you're not sure what you want and need space they'll blow up your phone with "I'll be the one you want! Promise! Let me prove it! "

What Girls Said 8

• That's awesome and what I do. I wish guys would read it and do the same. We don't want excuses or explanations that take 5 min. Just be honest.

• Annoying how guys will keep going and going and going until you're like "I don't like you and I'll never like you" and then you're a bitch.

If its a guy I just met I tell him I'm taken, if its a guy I know and care about as a friend I tell him straight up that I just see him as a friend.

Unfortunately this doesn't always work. Some like to be persistent up until you have to turn into mega bitch.

I agree with what you are saying minus the "tell him why you don't like him. " what, are you supposed to point out all the characteristics he has that you don't like? That's unnecessary and hurtful.

• Well these are obvious reasons

• really? No shit!

• I don't have any feelings for you.

• Good take, however you don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you're rejecting them.

In fact, an explanation can backfire, because the person might think that if they meet whatever criteria you mentioned if they work on themselves, they might get a chance.

Do NOT explain yourself. If the person cannot handle being told no, that should be their first clue why they're not very successful in their pursuit of relationships.

Don't give people false hope by making them think changing will get them your attention.

• Sometimes it's better to explain it. If it's the whole deal with "friendzoning" then it's better to tell him why. Telling him you're not interrestd at all can just make your friendship worse.
      Just an fiy.
      Sometimes telling him why is the best in order to preserve what you have!

• @dartmaul15

"I'm not romantically interested in you" is a perfectly fine answer.

I don't have any friend zoned male friends (lest for some of my boyfriend's mates), so if I reject - it's a goodbye, not "let's me friends". :p

• that's true. And that is an answer as well as an explanation.
      Essentially you say "i don't want to date you, because i have no sexual or romantical attraction towards you".
      I'd say that if it's a random dude you don't need to explain yourself, but if it's someone you know it's better to give him a brief explanation (the one you gave is good enough). Simply because i'd say he deserve it. He is after all your friend.

• What if I've already done all these things and guys still don't get the message? :)

• Miss piggy :)