Is OkCupid just for hooking up nowadays?

I had really good luck with OkC a couple years ago (met my last bf there) and went on quite a few good dates. I decided to try it again a few weeks ago & I've literally gotten NO messages. I haven't changed my profile significantly from the last time (it has 3-4 decent pics, my hobbies, likes/dislikes, etc). I put I'm looking for "long term dating" & that I'm looking for a relationship.

I got tired of not hearing from anyone and just to experiment, I changed my "looking for" to casual sex & within 15 min I got 15 (sleazy) messages. Once I changed it back to long term dating I've gotten no messages again. Am I missing something here? Has OkC become a site for hookups nowadays?

Here's my profile pic by the way:
i646.photobucket.com/.../reddress.jpg

Oh shoot, I didn't realize it'd post the picture directly here

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's what I think happened:

I tried that site with some success several years ago. This was back in 2009.

Over the next few years, online dating became more popular in the mainstream.

This led to a massive increase in the number of guys messaging girls.

This, in turn, led to many women raising their standards accordingly.

As a result, men who were average and below, or even slightly above average, tended to give up on online dating.

Only the very highly desirable men remained, and these are the men who can afford to have many casual hookups.

(Just my opinion)

• That's around when I first used it too! (well actually I used it in 2011) And it seemed quite a bit different, there were a lot more.. normal people on there haha

What Guys Said 8

• Seems like it, I made an account once and noticed pretty much the same thing, and a rather large abundance of overweight women.

• I'm not sure. Probably a lot of guys are looking for sex clearly though. That's surprising you got no interest from a guy wanting a relationship after having your profile active for a few weeks :|

• i don't trust these kind of sites tbh... i believe there are many creeps there

• girls get sooo many messages from thirsty guys there that it seems even the legitimately interested ones are glossed over. I've sent a few messages to a couple girls on POF and they weren't just 'hi how are you' i was asking something i saw on there profile or i opened up with a joke. and no response.

There's nothing wrong with how you look.. at all, but do you always respond to guys who aren't even asking about sex?

• Lol guys are lust seekers... There...

• I never used okcupid. The real place for hookups is tinder. I was on pof for a while and got a few dates out of that. Maybe try that.

• I never send sleazy messages but I am open to experiences ranging from casual sex to long term relationships, it all depends on the dynamic and connection I have with who I am talking to. I try to be nice, funny, respectful, and honest, and I get maybe one reply in 100. I don't know what I do wrong either, maybe I am just ugly.

• Id try a different website like match, you're very cute so looks aren't the issue trust me.

What Girls Said 3

• Guys are always up for hooking up.. Dating, no so much.
    Any free site is filled with guys looking for sex. There are some serious ones too. But you are going have to dig them up

• what i saw the last time was many of them are looking for casual sex
    the dating sites are filled with lusty people
    i find it boring

• Yeah. I joined last year and just met jerks who were only interested in sex. I would say avoid that site if you want something serious.