Is touching appropriate on the first date?

I mean like touching their, arm, hand, thigh, hair, or whatever while talking on the first date.

Most Helpful Girl

• It will depend on how the date is going and who the girl is. Best thing you can do is go with your gut, because there's no specific rule to follow.

However, you probably generally don't want to get too sexual on a first date, so avoid "hot spots" like thighs. Hair is romantic, arm etc. is appropriate and flirty. Hands, it depends. Holding hands on a first date might be a bit much specifically because the whole thing is so new, and that's usually a couples thing. But like I said, go with your gut. If it seems right, go for it. She'll either accept it and return the connection, or reject it. If she rejects it, don't get discouraged. It doesn't necessarily mean she's rejecting you; she just might not be ready. In which case, respect her boundaries, and when she's ready and the time is right, you'll know.

• Good stuff. Didn't know the thigh was a hot spot, and I thought caressing her hair would be something done after a couple more dates. Anyway, yeah, I'll go with my gut! :)

• Haha, I am clean and don't have long greasy hair anymore. thanks for the tip though. :P

• LOL no prob.

What Girls Said 3

• I hope the guy would think so cause I'd love that! But ya know, everyone has different comfort levels.

• Ah, good to know. And most girls have said that they don't mind so I'm just going with the majority lol.

• I hold hands, or put an arm around his waist and hug on the first date. I don't mind hand-on-thigh either (which I do if we're watching a movie). I think anything else is a no go.

• i think all of that's okay, except the thigh...don't go too high up lol

What Guys Said 1

• Yes, harmless touching like that is good! It will show them that you are intimate and will make them more comfrotable when you go in for that hug or kiss or more at the end of your date. Just no innapropriate touching during the date! That screams "get out". lol

• Yeah, like no "grabbing" lo. What about walking together with my hand on her hips, is that okay? And what happens if I accidentally slip and touch her ass lol?

• If she is okay with the preliminary touching, then it should be safe to put your arm around her hips. But for the slip of the hand, I would be careful. Read her personality, if she is reserved then no, if she is more open and relaxed it should be okay.

• Ah, thanks for the tip! :)