If a guy pays for lunch/dinner, is that a date?

If a guy pays for lunch/dinner, is that a date? Just wondering :)

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Not necessarily. It means you had a meal together and it shared a date-like component. You wanna know if it's a date, define it. Do you think it's a date? Do you want it to be a date? Does he? Ask him. It's not really a date unless you define it as such. Also please don't give me "why lable it?" or any of that. If you give me that, if he gives you that, it's BS. If he says no, then it's a no. If he dodges it, then he sure thought so, but if you don't think it was then it wasn't, and you may wanna make the distinction for him.good luck.

• Thanks. Yeah, we just met on a business trip (nothing happened beyond the lunch date tho) and I doubt we'll see each other again anytime soon. So I was wondering if a guy would do that to someone who he probably won't see again for some time.

What Guys Said 5

• O_OIf so, I may have asked a casual buddy of mine off on a date D:Not at all, although its definitely a good sign that he wants to be friends with you :D

• haha well I had just met this guy and he just asked me to get lunch together so it's not like we were friends before. Anyway I got a vibe that he wants to hang out/get to know me but we just met on a business trip and we live on the opposite ends of the continent (lol) so it's not like we could date... It just got me wondering if a guy would do that to a girl who he won't see again anytime soon.

• If:1. A guy2. Asks a girl out to a meal3. And he pays4. And the meal wasn't at a taco stand,Odds are about 70-30 that its a date. He may just be setting ground rules for later dating (showing that he's being manly around your woman-itude); I would say that he's at least interested in being interested, if everything works out.Here's a question to your question: does it matter if it was a date?

• Thanks. To answer your question, it got me wondering because I just met him on a business trip (nothing happened past the lunch "date") and I won't see him again anytime soon as we live on the opposite ends of the country. So I was thinking if a guy would ever do that (take a girl out on a "date") to someone who he won't see again anytime soon. Also, I actually like someone else, so I don't want to lead him on or anything...

• Ah, that's a bit different. This sounds more like a guy just being generous, for whatever reason.

• If the guy and girl have been friends for a while, then no. If they don't know each other that well, then yes. Especially if the guy asked the girl to get said lunch/dinner.

• Hm. In that case, then yeah, my situation fits into a date category (if there's such one). It just got me thinking, because I met this guy on a business trip (nothing happened past the lunch date) so I doubt I'll see him again in the near future. So I was just wondering if a guy would ever do that (take a girl on a date) to someone who he won't see again for a while.

• It's definitely possible. Maybe he just really liked you and wanted to get to know you better, even though he knew that you probably wouldn't see each other again for a while. I'd still call that a "date."

• It might be a statement...

• Thanks :)

• It's not about who pays or even what you do, it's about how the two people feel about each other. If you're into each other, and you go out and do anything together, it's a date. Some people even consider watching a movie at home together a date. It's just about doing something together.

• Thanks! :) I like that way of seeing things.

What Girls Said 3

• if it were a date, you would know.

• No, it's not. a date. It's just a prerequisite for a date )

• hehe thanks :) It got me wondering because I just met this guy on a business trip (nothing happened past the lunch "date") and I doubt I'd see him anytime soon. So I was thinking, "you would take a girl who you won't see again in a really long time on a date!? please tell me that's not the case..." and also I'm kinda in love with someone else (just hasn't gone official yet) so didn't want to have led him on or anything...

• not necessarily . some guys feel like they need to pay when one on one with any girl