What about short men?

I'm a short guy (5'5), and I have considerable difficulty attracting women due to my height. I usually am attracted to women who are close to my height, but even these women usually want someone taller than myself. It's even more difficult at house parties where all my friends are taller and just as confident as I am, so naturally, girls flock for the taller confident guy, versus the shorter one.

I guess my question is (for women), have you ever been attracted to a short guy, and if so, what made him more attractive than his taller counterparts? Any bit of advice that may help me out would be well appreciated (guys can chime in too). Thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 5'5" too, so you're considered tall enough for me in my book.

• Aw thanks :) you know, I think I remember you from yahoo answers

What Girls Said 38

• Frankly... the "tall, dark and handsome" stereotype is overrated. I'm dating a relatively "short" guy, in fact. For me, choosing my boyfriend was never a matter of "either or". I never found myself comparing himself to a bunch of tall guys. He just stood out at me as someone that I cared about because of other qualities such as his sense of humor, his smile, and his loyalty. He is rather self-conscious about his height as well, but for me, height was never of circumstance. To me, is very attractive. And I love that I don't get a kink in my neck trying to reach up and kiss him.

Here's another way to look at it...

Think of women that you know that you find attractive. In your head, do you ever find yourself cutting a woman out that you would otherwise find attractive just because of ONE measurement? "Uh oh... boobs are one size too small. I guess I can't like her." "Uh oh... hair colour is one shade too red, she's not the type for me." No, I'm guessing that you see these women as attractive because of a mixture of things. Maybe her nose scrunches up when she laughs, or her hair smells amazing, or she has a hot walk. These things are not measurable, and everyone sees different things as attractive. Women are the same way. Instead of trying to figure out how tall you are, they are thinking "Holly crap, his eyes are so deep!" or "Wow, he has a great smile when he's laughing." You are a package deal, man. Don't shoot yourself down before you even take a shot! Strike up a conversation, and she'll forget about the other guys. If not, there are plenty of girls in the bar.

• I'm 5'0 so personally I don't like men who are towering over me, it makes me feel more like a sister instead of an equal. I like the shorter guys, I like them to be taller than me but 5'6 is about the limit, other wise the height just starts to feel too tall. Girls do like to feel protected, but height doesn't necessarily mean protection, if your short and have a strong body then girls still think you'll be able to protect them. I'm dating a shorter guy right now, and what made him more attractive is that he wasn't threatening (being super tall), but he's also strong. He lifts and runs. I feel like I can be myself around him and the fact that he's short and confident says a lot more to me than being tall and confident. We also have a lot in common, and just a hint he's a real gentleman; he pulls out chairs for me. The first time he did that I was absolutely shocked, no one does that anymore. Girls don't like the guys that are full of themselves. If you look for the short petite girls than they'll absolutely love you. So be confident, but humble too and extremely gentlemanly. One thing I notice is that a lot of the tall guys aren't very gentlemanly, just a pattern I've seen. Hope this helps.

• I once fell so hard for a guy who was a couple of centimeters shorter than me! And I'm 5'3...AND I'm usually attracted to tall guys (ad least 190 cm :), and he had something I found attractive in any man - a musical talent! xD

I guess you have to have something a particular girl likes. You can't be attractive to everyone (no one is), so I don't think you should aspire to be attractive to everyone because that's just impossible, I think you should accentuate your style and your hobbies, interests talents, so that a particular girl (who shares said interests) will be able to tell she'll hit it off with you.

You can do it through your looks (hair style, clothes...), through your music taste, through your attitude towards life in general and certain situations.

And if you're yourself you'll attract the girls that will be most compatible with you, and in the end that's what you want, right?

Hope I helped

*StillWater*

• That was very helpful, thanks. You mentioned style as well...what kind of things do you think I could improve (I have pictures of myself in my profile). I'm told that for shorter guys, style is everything, so I was wondering if you had any ideas

• You're confusing preference with the concept of being 'shallow'.

You could work on your grammar.

• I am 5 ft 7 and most guys I am attracted to are the short ones with confidence. I am one of these with weird people who hate guys way taller than me and feel completely comfortable with shorter guys. As long as you show your confident you can get any girl tall or short. That is the most attractive thing, smile across the room at girls, ask them to dance and boy you will be the one with all the girls at the club!

I have been out with short and tall guys and I ALWAYS LOVE THE SHORT ONES MORE!

• well, I'm short too (about 163cm) so I don't really care about a mans height. why should I bother? taller men propably would prefer taller women. :P

• I never used to like short guys. For a very long time I was usually only attracted to guys who were 5'9" or taller. But not too long ago, I suddenly became very attracted to shortish guys (I still prefer the guy to be taller than I am at least). My current boyfriend is only 5'6" and I adore him and his shortness. He feels so good to cuddle with and I don't strain my neck when I kiss him :) So some girls do like short guys.

I'm 5'3" btw.

• Well, I'm like 5'1'' so pretty much every single guy I know is my height or taller, therefore I've never had a problem with a guy being too short. The only thing is for dances (im in high school) I either have to wear lower heels or wear cute gladiator sandals, which I am totally fine with if a guy is closer to my height. Also though, almost all the guys at my school are like 6 feet and taller and most of the girls are like 5'6'' and taller, so I'm like the midget at my school. :P

• Aww haha, sorry to hear that. You might be the shortest, but I'm sure you're the most loved/popular =)

• Haha, thanks!

• I am attracted to guys who are short, but I also like tall men too. I think it's all about the confidence also a huge part is if the guy has a sense of humor. I think it all depends on what the girl is attracted to. But if you have the confidence you'll attract the girls.

• Ive dated a short guy before. He was 5'4 and I am about 5'1. Its not a huge deal. Granted, I love to wear heels and I didn't around him. However, if you made it known that you don't mind the girl being taller, or don't mind her wearing heels, there shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know plenty of girls who would be fine dating a shorter guy.

• I'm 6' tall... Ok, I'm ridiculously tall for a woman so I have had the opposite problem. I am usually attracted to taller men, and have heard when I was younger "oh..I would be attracted to you if you were shorter"...obnoxious.

But, I have dated a 5'6" tall man, and have had a crush on one only 5'4" (hard for me even to believe).

The secret...what did it...the shorter men were very self confident and did not refer to or seem bothered by their height. They were also both charming :) They also excelled in things they were interested in...I really admired them both. Also, they were both self confident enough to flirt with me and not be bothered or intimidated by my height.

• My boyfriend is shorter than me (by only 2cm but I like heels) and he's shorter than all his friends BUT he's got a fun personality, he's very handsome (takes care of his skin, body etc), he's so smart (he got a degree at 20), he's got style and he's a silly billy with me ^_^. How he wooed me was his confidence - I mean he has SOOO much confidence.

I don't know whether you can use that info to help yourself - maybe you can :)

• I've got a pic up on my profile with me and my bf.

• I can't view it because your profile is private, but don't worry I believe you. My main concern was with the sake of first impressions, if you were at a party and could pick between a tall confident guy and a short confident guy, women usually go for the taller guy. I've just had so much trouble with women recently because of my height...especially with short women, because they always seem to want a guy who's still taller than me.

• Oh no, my boyfriend AMOG (Alpha Male of the Group) all social situations. If a guy tries to insult him he gives it right back to him.

Learn some Amoging tips :) You'll be fine.

• i like tall boys but there are plenty short guys I find attractive.

what made him more attractive than his taller counterparts? hmmm, idk, maybe if he's open, friendly, confidente , you know.. like friendly confidente person with who is fun to be around and attracts you at first sight

• I'm 5'9 and I was once really into a guy who's 5'3! Completely true, I was 19 then, he was 23 I think. I haven't been into many other shorter guys mainly cos they give me the impression straight away that I'm too big for them :(. This makes me think 'I don't like you anyway' before I even have a chance to see if I'm into them or not. This guy was just attractive (regardless of height), we hit it off (really good to talk to), and as a plus he was really strong. Most of all, he thought I was gorgeous, didn't think he'd rather I was smaller, simply liked me and I him. So, though it was unusual, I didn't care at all about the height difference, was quirky but I fancied him anyway :).

• Am meter and 65 (tall) and I used to date a short guy ,shorter than me,and I like him so much I was even the first one to make a move,he was so sexy his smile was WOW,i was in love with him he is so nice and CONFIDENT,love me care about me make me feel special,i was with him feeling like a princes,he bring me present,...when he speaks to me his eyes were glistening with love ,just think of Tom Cruznhe is short his girlfriend is taller and he stil So Attractive,the soul is the important thing ,how do you feel inside how do you feel yourself looking like people will look at you that way,just don't think of being short is negative,get yourself with everybody and try to be so popular ,sence of humour,happy,confident,and don't think a lot when asking a girl out just do it,and if it doesn't work it is not because you are short ,taller guy also get rejected.good luck

• Yes, I have been attracted to a short guy- not just once! Of course it's nice to have a boyfriend who's taller than you, it gives you the feeling of protection and stuff. But the guys I met were just really confident and I couldn't help but I fell for them without even noticing that they were shorter than me. I think if someone really likes you and if your confidence is peaking, no one will look at little "mistakes".

Maybe you should't look for a really tall girl, but a girl who's just about the same height as you won't run away just because you're short. Just be confident and you'll attract at least as much girls as your friends! ;)

• Well I have the problem the other way round, I want tall guys and they all seem to be short! I don't want a guy to be under about 5,11 which I don't think is unreasonable, but going out there and looking everyone seems to be around your height. Don't know why you're having problems as there are so many short guys and most of them are finding short girls. It's us tall people who are missing out!

• By the way I'm 5ft 7, taller than any other girl who has answered your question and taller than average for my age group. I want to be able to wear heels when I'm out with a bloke and not tower over him.

• It's just that my PERSONAL choice is that I like to feel feminine with a man and the whole feeling of being slimmer and shorter than him gives me the feeling that I'm protected. But believe me, a lot of women do not feel that way, completely the opposite often, so don't worry about the height thing. We all have different tastes, that's the beauty of it! :)

• i don't think its fair, imo. but its w/e

• well this f***ing sucks...well because I'm 5/5...but if I was 5.0 I would no even care...but to answer your quesyion I'm attracted to bruno mars...he is short...he actually if 5/5 lol. Bruno Mars singing voice and smile is T.D.F (to die for)

Ok I advice you to try to be attracted to 4 ft 10 girls because you would feel like a giant lol...besides...your short but not like a dwarf midgit lol. I have friends who date guys who are shorter because they like them for what is on the inside...on the outside its weird looking but...you can't control height unless your into cross dressing and putting on high-heels.

(I know I'm 2 months late lol.)

p.s>Forgive Me.

• never fear! there are a lot of girls who have different preferences or are about your height. I'm 5'7 but dated mostly above 5'8 and only one guy who was 5'6. don't give up and you'll find the one for you

• Trust me you are not short. Try being 4'10''

• I was totally attracted to Michael J. Fox and he's 5'4". It's not the height of the man, but the confidence and his overall character that he exudes which draws others.

I don't mean cocky either, just a calm, collected, coolness. Almost like, it doesn't matter what life throws your way, you've got it covered baby!

• If you can compensate for your height with confidence, charm, and taking care of yourself, you'll be fine.

My ex was 5'5 (Im 5'7!) but Inever minded it because he was very sure of himself, and very good looking.

• Well, I hate being a taller woman (about 5'8"), but not because so many guys are shorter. I know that petite women are preferred. And the short girls complain about being so short. I can't stand it. It's almost as bad as the pretty girl complaining about her looks, just to get attention. I don't mind short guys. I've dated them.

• As long as the guys my height or taller I'm good. I'm 5' 2" so it's kinda hard to be shorter than that haha!

• i prefer taller guys ..5'11 and above

• yes I have I'm about 5'5 , and my boyfriend's about 5'6 and I've never really cared about how tall someone is , with me it's like what's ther personality like that attracts me too them most

• I like shorter guys. I'm 5'1.5''

some of my taller friends like short guys too.

• I would totally go for short guys, except for the fact that I'm 5'8" and It would be a little akward. But I have no problem with someone who's my height or a little under.

• sometimes the way a person dress or the way he carries himself makes the difference.

• they are so cute, I would date short guys anytime, well, I'm 4'9' so.. :)

• yeh I don't mind

• More from Girls
    8

What Guys Said 13

• Most of my mates are taller than me but recently, one of the few people I know who is shorter than me came out and asked me how I end up with all these girlfriends (ive had 3 in my 18 years, so I don't really know what this dudes on about)

...anyways, rather than give him advice on 'how to get girls' or any of that crap (I don't pretend to be an expert...whatsoever) I said to him to not be angry at being short (you can't change it ...so fk it),

...oh and don't develop that 'small man syndrome' (once spoke to a girl who was dating a short dude...she said he told her not to wear heels so she would remain shorter than him *face palm*) and don't get uptight with girls who regard height as a 'must have' (plenty more out there)

bottom line: don't bother about things you can't change...and you'll find that renewed confidence goes much further than a couple more inches on your height ever could

be easy man,

dustyfootphilosopher

• No personal experience (I'm 6'3) but I've wondered about this ... mainly because my daughters are on track to be close to 6'.

My impression is that _tall_ women might be more likely to accept your height. I think a lot of average height women have basically _always_ gone out with taller guys. A lot of tall girls have had to mentally get used to the idea that they may be taller then the guy.

You're also thinking about it wrong to say 'how can I be more attractive then taller counterparts'. The world is not full of exact clones of you who happen to be a foot taller. You're unique, with your own strengths. It would be like me asking 'how can I compete with the other tall guys who are better looking then me'.

Honestly, if you are confident, that matters _more_ then height. Yeah, a tall, confident, great looking guy who is smart, funny, popular athletic and rich ... is going to blow the rest of us out of the water. There aren't too many guys like that around ;)

Focus on your strengths, keep going, and be open to girls of all heights, and hope for the best. I suspect you'll find you end up with girls who are most interested in whatever your positive attributes are. In my case, most of my girlfriends _loved_ tall guys. But my girlfriends are not just random girls - these are the girls that chose to date _me_. There are other girls who don't care about height who maybe would have shot me down and gone for you. Focus on your strengths, find girls who care about them.

• Well more tough items to swallow. The traits people find attractive are the traits that they want their children to have (wanting children isn't part of it, it's an instinctual attraction), the more symmetrical your face is the more attractive you are (so if your short but your body and face are perfectly symmetrical you'll be attractive), Being dominate is attractive (Both men and women), sometimes if your confident in yourself you have to make the first move because your intimidating (anyone have confidence but never get approached? That's why!)

I got a million of them, I study this crap. Don't help me any, I help my friends and people I know all the time. It's like they say if you can't do it teach it!

• There was a study by some university, I saw it on TLC I think about human sexuality. They put 4 single ads online and 4 in a newspaper.

Two ads gave descriptions based on a survey to women on what they would find interesting in a man, but did not list a height

The third ad listed a more detailed description based on the survey and the height at 5'6"

The fourth was very vague but the height was 6'2"

The one ad that listed height at 6'2" got more responses than all the other ads combined.

What's more interesting is the pictures they used were also surveyed. They showed random pictures to women and asked them to guess the height. The picture they found most attractive they guessed to be 6'0" or taller. The least attractive 5'6" or shorter.

You might be able to find it on a search. TLC Human Sexaulity, there was a lot of interesting stuff.

I'm 5'6" myself, I have a hard time getting a date with a hand full of $100 bills in a $20 whore house. I haven't had a date since...2008?

• That's kinda depressing lol, but thanks

• As a side note, I've never even kissed a girl shorter than me. They were all the same height or 1 or 2 inches taller.

• More follow up

I posted the question on this site and Yahoo Answers, most attractive features in a man.

Height = 6' to 6'2"

Build = Athletic

Hair Color = Black/Dark

Eye Color = Blue

Attribute = Giving/Do the right thing

Not the only anwers just the most popular.

You know who is 6'2" Athletic, Black Hair, Blue eyes, giving? Superman. F***me

• you gotta work with what you got so that means you have to use your personality to charm them.

• Mhm, yea. Sorry I accidentally disagreed with your answer (working off my small mobile phone), but I do agree with you. My main problem though is when other guys are nearby, like at a house party. When every guy is taller and just as confident, it makes it a bit hard

• same here bro. I'm 5'8 and girls my height usually want 5'10+. I tend to stick to girls at least two inches shorter so to them I'm tall haha. personality does go a long way though. my cousin's husband is at least one inch shorter than she is and I've never seen her happier. just stay away from the picky ones I guess...

• I was once told by a girl taller than me that height doesn't matter as we're the same height lying down. Try that line on taller girls. They usually like it.

• it really is an unfair stigma. what's up with so many girl prerejecting short dudes? honestly... I find it kinda shallow... but it is the way it is... ever try overcompensating with platform shoes and spinning it into a joke?

• ahaha, no I haven't tried that but maybe I should lol

• I know how you feel I'm only 5ft 9"

Plus I'm thin so I psychologically look even shorter.

• just get a mexican or Asian girl. they are all shorter than you are

• I'm 6'2. If I could spare you a couple inches I would. haha.

• There are many people who are short.