Is it legal for a ex student to date a teacher from school?

He hasn't actually taught me and only started working at the school during my last year. I have properly left school now so am no longer a student

There is 12 years between us but I know this age gap is not a big issue as one of my family friends has an age gap of this difference and are happily married with 2 children!

Please let me know what you guys think, and please don't be nasty it is just an enquiery :) Thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• Umm how old are you?

• I am 18 and from the UK, and thanks guys, would it go in my favour if I said that now that I have left I am working at the school doing work experience and he helps out in the same department, even though he does not teach the subject?

• Also would he loose his job seeing as he is a teacher at the school I used to go to? I have spoken to a friend about this and they said it is ethically wrong and would loose their job and wouldn't be able to get a job again ?

• that's up to the work place

What Guys Said 6

• Assuming you've hit age of consent, there's no problem. The main issue with romantic relationships between teachers and students (even adult students) is that teachers are in a position of power, and that a romantic relationship between a teacher and student could very likely be an abuse of power on the part of the teacher. Once the student is no longer a student, that power relationship no longer exists.

• No not if your of legal age. I know a girl dating a former teacher of hers.

• yeah it's legal

• it might help if you say what country you are from.

• As long as you're 18 or older, not a problem.

• Well considering a teacher at my old high school legally married a former student of his... yes.

What Girls Said 7

• if he never taught you and you guys didn't even really know each other back then, I don't see how it could be a problem especially if your of legal age. I say go for it. if you were still in school, then thatd be a different story but since your not, I don't see it as a big deal

• Yeah, that's allowed. So long as you aren't a student then it is fine.

• If you're over 16 and he's not your teacher, yes. At least in my state. If you're 18 in most places you can have sex with anyone who isn't an authority figure or a therapist.

• as long as this is america and you are at least 18 I know its legal.

• if your over 18, NO WAY JOSE! :D

• depends were you are from in oregon it can be no longer then 3 years

• i don't think its illegal since you already left school (: