90's Cartoons: A Tribute To An Amazing Decade

After I got home from the gym this morning, I wanted to watch some Netflix so I browsed through my usually shows…you know, Bob’s Burgers, Bojack Horseman, Archer…and then, out of no where, I couldn’t help but think how much I missed the 90’s cartoon. So, in a tribute to oldies but goodies, I present to you a list of 90’s cartoons that we all loved and miss dearly.

Here’s the catch, though: Only cartoons that began and ended in the 90’s will be on the list. Sorry, Dragon Ball Z fans, but that show premiered in 1989. So sad.

1. Tiny Toons

I looooooooooooved Tiny Toons, which is hilarious because I really didn’t like Looney Toons that much. But this show had all the humor and life lessons packed in with just the right amount of sarcasm and wit. Tiny Toons, you are dearly missed.

R.I.P. Joe Alaskey, the voice actor of Plucky, who passed away February 3rd, 2016.

2. Batman: The Animated Series

Okay, I’ll admit, the art in this was pretty horrible, BUT this, in my opinion, is the only series in the Batman franchise besides Batman Beyond that really gave Batman the credit he was do. It was dark, it was mysterious, and it made you think. Besides, we ALL KNOW that this series has the best Joker and Harley Quinn. Don’t argue. You know it’s true.

3. Dark Wing Duck

I have to be honest. I personally don’t really remember a lot of episodes from this series because it didn’t last long. HOWEVER, the opening? Amazing.

4. Recess

This is such an accurate depiction of a school yard. You have bullies, the girl ‘cliques’, smart kids, overweight kid, the Tom boy and more, not to mention the show was completely relatable, even if you were in high school.

5. Gargoyles

This show was just awesome. Unfortunately, it wasn’t really well known to a lot of people. Even I have to admit that I never would have watched it if my brother wasn’t so into it as a kid. Plus, the opening is just magical.

6. Doug

Now, we all know that this list would not be a real list without including Douglas Yancy Funnie. This show is what makes a true cartoon: Funny, relatable, appropriate, realistic, and creative. I mean, come on, there’s a chick named Patty Mayonnaise. Awesome. Sauce.

Speaking of Patty Mayonnaise….

7. X-Men

If you woke up every Saturday morning and didn’t watch this, something is seriously wrong with you. And, honestly, this is a large reason why the X-Men film franchise isn’t being received as well as it was when the first movie came out. Difference? Quality.

8. Beast Wars

Animals? Check. Dinosaurs? Check. Alien race of robots trying to kill each other on a planet Earth devoid of any humans? Check.

9. Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

It’s really sad that of all the cartoons from the 90’s, this one is so overlooked. The storylines were good and the characters likeable. It didn’t last very long, but the episodes it had were amazing.

10. Animaniacs

Last, but certainly not least. Animaniacs is probably by far the most educational cartoon on the list while still maintaining it’s humor and featuring other cartoons like Pinky and the Brain. Not to mention it challenged a lot of social issues that people still argue about today. Just look at what the cop is wearing in the beginning of Macadamia Nut.

This show is pure gold and guess what? It’s on Netflix.

Oh 90's...how we miss you dearly...

OH, ALL RIGHT! I'll add Dragon Ball Z as a bonus... Crybabies...

EllieLexis513 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 8

• The batman animate series was awesome its on amazon

• I like it the most of all the animated Batman series. Batman Beyond is an extremely close second though.

• Anybody every try playing the Tiny Toons game on the original GameBoy? That was like the hardest shit ever... never could get past the fourth level.

• I used to watch all this cartoons. Animaniacs were funny as a kid but now I think there annoying as hell

• '90s X-Men cartoon has got to be one of the best cartoons out of the whole X-Men series. You can't top that opening theme song.

• No wonder that lady sounds familiar! I was just thinking of Doug the other day lol

• Solid list. Someone at least recognizes some good cartoons back then. But you totally forgot like 10 cartoon network shows, freakazoid, ducktales and rugrats to name a few

• I didn't include freakazoid because I only wanted to include 10 and freakazoid doesn't really match up to whats on the list in my opinion. And every list include Rugrats, I wanted to do a list with cartoons that don't really get a lot of credit when they completely deserve it.

You're right, though, Ducktales should've been on here somewhere.

• I liked the main characters better. Just because it's made by the same person doesn't mean it's the same quality.

• True, but they had the same setup and writing style. It's like piling the NFL and not college football (beyond not having a team to root for). Obviously different "plots" (idk of there's a word for it), but similar general aimlessness

• No Hey Arnold?
    "Move it football head!"

• Nice take but you FORGOT COURAGE: THE COWARDLY DOG!
    topimages.org/.../...rdly-dog-coloring-pages-9.jpg

• I didn't, it unfortunately didn't end in the 90's. It ended in the 2002 :(

I'm doing a separate list in a couple days that will include it though!

• That was not a kids show. That show was majorly screwed up

• @Waffles731 Tell that to Cartoon Network haha. It's on Netflix as a kids show, too. Seriously.

What Girls Said 3

• If the Animaniacs weren't on here I would start throwing tables. :P XD

• what about Hey Arnold?

• OMG! No wonder the yoga lady sounded familiar when I watched OITNB!

• I KNOW! One of my students told me. I was shocked, then asked why was a 14 year old watching Orange Is The New Black lol

• Haha okay now that's disturbing! That kid shouldn't be watching that show. Too explicit.