Stephen's top Five Christmas Specials to Watch

It's that time of the year again! Time to break out the egg nog, The gingerbread cookies,and wear your ugly Christmas sweater! Plus watch some good old fashioned Christmas Specials. Christmas specials have been around since the 1920's in radio and the 1950's on Televison. The 1960s and 70s brought the claymation Christmas Specials such as Rudolph that we all know,love, and Grew up with. Even Star Wars had a Christmas Special, but that was not very well recieved. Even to the modern day when shows like: The Simpsons, SpongeBob Squarepants, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers all have Holiday Special episodes. Here are some of my all time favorites, including a new one that I feel like should be watched.

Rudolph (1964)

The quintessential Christmas viewing Classic. This TV Special revolutionized the Holiday TV Special as we know it.

A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

This special is famous for several reasons. The tree is one of them as well as the dancing scene that has become synonomus with the Peanuts cartoons. Plus who can forget the famous Vince Giraldi tune "'Linus and Lucy".

The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)

This special features a very catchy tune about two brothers, The Snow Miser and the Heat Miser.

It's A SpongeBob Christmas (2012)

This is honestly one of the only post 2005 SpongeBob episodes I truly like. I like that they dd it in a claymation style which sets off a different vibe tha most Spongebob episodes.

Honorable Mentions:

The Simpsons first episode (1989)

Rugrats: The Santa Experience (1992)

Santa Claus is Coming to Town (1970)

Frosty The Snowman (1969)

The First SpongeBob Christmas episode (1999)

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

The Loud House: 11 Louds A Leapin' (2016)

The story centers around a family of 11 children. One tries to prove Santa is unreal while ne tries to be nice by kissing up to everyone despite being naughty the rest of the 364 days. But, the main conflict of the story is centered around a cranky old man who lives alone. Anytime any of the kids' toys lands in his yard he claims ownership. But it turns out he is alone with his family living far away whom he had not seen in over 5 years. Upon discovering this, the family goes to his house with decorations, food, and a bus ticket to see his family. This warms the old mans heart as he turns from an old Grinch to a merry,happy old man.

That is my list of the top five Christmas specials on my list. Keep in mind these are not movies but TV episodes and specials the whole family or you yourself can enjoy this Holiday Season.

#ChristmaswithStephen

#ChristmasSpecials

smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• 7d

Cute my take!

• 7d

I was really impressed with the Spongebob in claymation. Especially how well it was pulled off.

• 7d

Aw cute ^^

• 2d

thank you

• 2d

Cute! I love rudolf cuz I want to hug him 🤗
    I also love the bumble 😍

• 2d

Can't wait to watch em al, I love each of the holiday cartoon movies. The Heat/Snow miester song give's me LIFEEEEE lmao! I like Scrooged with Bill Murray as well.

• 2d

I personally really enjoy the south park Christmas special.

• 3d

good my take

• 7d

Love Rudolph. 😊

• 7d

Oh I have different top 5
    1. A Christmas Story
    2. Miracle on 34th street
    3. It's a wonderful life
    4. Mixed Nuts
    5. Elf

• 7d

Oh my GOSH!!! I have to see this new spongebob show. Remember when Spongebob shared Christmas with Bikini Bottom <3 Mr. Krab's singing <3

• 7d

That was a good one, Who knew Mr Krabs was aTenor?

• 7d

ooh, new animation style for a season?

• 7d

No the Loud House Christmas Special

What Guys Said 6

• 7d

all good ones

• 3d

perfectt

• 6d

sounds interesting.

• 7d

Then there are those "specials" that could turn just about anyone into a Grinch:

- The Christmas Tree (1991): Nostalgia Critic ripped this one to pieces, and it fully deserved it!

- The Grinch (with Jim Carey): Let's celebrate the birth of the Messiah with watching the mayor of Whoville be tricked into kissing a dog's ass!

- Lucky Christmas (2011): Revoltingly cliche rom-com with a holiday setting.

- Rudolph's Shiny New Year (1976): Rudolph visits dinosaurs to save the space-time continuum - er... what?

- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians: Need I say more?

- Jingle All the Way: Some things, Schwarzenegger should stay away from.

Many also like to lambast "The Nativity Story" (2006), but it's actually not that terrible. Yes, the film's color grading is almost as bad as Civil War. Yes, Keisha Castle-Hughes upset some viewers with her extreme method acting. Yes, it makes a few significant blunders on Jewish history and culture when it should have known better. Yes, it was directed by the same woman who directed the first Twilight film. But otherwise, most of it holds up pretty well.

And to be fair, it holds up better than the Stationery Voyagers "Essentials of Nativity" I was going to base off it.

Where "do not be afraid" is only spoken to Mary AFTER she's trapped in a time warp, witnessed several manifested demons' unsuccessful attempts to assassinate her, and hit Gabriel with a 2x4 with no effect. And then has to be saved from Jewish leaders that try to trap her in her home and set fire to it, because they hate pre-born Jesus that much *already*. And she also basically tells the Devil Himself to f* off when he tries to tempt her to have an abortion. And witnesses an angel and demon savagely beating each other seconds later.

Meanwhile, a space alien that looks like a whiteout pen is battling a demonic bobcat in the desert - Dragonball Z-style! (Because Herod wanting to kill babies wasn't dramatic enough.) Also in that episode, an angel curses Herod and inflicts him with intestinal worms that immediately rip his insides apart, Extirpon-style.

(I never completed that episode, by the way.)

• 7d

Saw the first 2 many times as a kid. Saw the grinch about half as many times as the first two.

• 7d

I prefer "Top Gear" Christmas specials ^_^ :D And I really hope "The Grand Tour" will have something as an equivalent