My problems with Shin Godzilla

My problems with Shin Godzilla

SPOILERS WARNING FOR SHIN GODZILLA

I've been a Godzilla Fan since I was 3 years old. My mother introduced me to the franchise. I've been a fan for 19 years. Thats the majority of my life. So when I say this, I say this with the utmost respect for the franchise and toho studios but I have to ask, WHAT THE FUCK TOHO, WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!

It was at the point where I say an eel like Godzilla walking on two legs and crawling on his front spilling Olympic swimming pools full of blood from his gills that I wondered when the hell that Toho had decided that David Cronenberg-esque body horror was the way to go with the new Godzilla design. Now I get wanting to make Godzilla scary but at a certain point it doesn't feel like a Godzilla movie anymore and swimming pools full of blood spilling from tumors on gills on an eel with legs doesn't feel like Godzilla.

Then I have to ask what the hell is with the Godzilla Xenomorph things that are coming out of his tail?

That looks far more like the Xenomorphs from the Alien Franchise than Godzilla and what the hell is with them coming out of his tail? And what the hell is up with his tail?

Hell even when he looks most like his classic form something is still very off about the Big G.

He looks worse off than he did in freaking Godzilla Vs. Destroyah

and what is with the lower jaw splitting in half during his atomic fire breath? He's Godzilla not the freaking predator.

Where did you go wrong Toho? where did you go wrong?

#Fanrantdone

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, interesting take. I was kind of curious about "Shin Godzilla", but the design of the creature and the bizarre point about its tail/offspring always put me off. xD

The original 1954 Japanese version of Godzilla --- NOT the American revision of it --- is still the best overall movie, to me. Granted, it had some pacing problems and some moments of bad acting that detracted from the drama lol, BUT it was overall a very good "message movie" with a surprisingly emotional love triangle at the center of it. And it had a nice balance of Godzilla behaving both like a simple animal and like a "lord of destruction." The way things were edited and directed --- right down to the style and sounds of the opening credits --- were ahead of their time compared to American horror/monster/disaster movies of the era.

Honestly, I don't think any other Godzilla movie since then has been able to touch the original, except for the special effects of course. In every other area (story, themes, the human characters, etc.), the original is still the best.

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 6

• I'm one of the few that did like the design but not a fan of the movie overall. They were going back to the early years when he used to actually used to destroy cities and wasn't much more than a monster, which is why they nerfed down his intelligence.

He's also really slow and doesn't seem all that durable. He's probably the most radioactive Godzilla on the big screen yet though. His atomic breath is the most destructive one yet and he can also shoot atomic beams from his spine and the tip of his tail.

• I remember my mom would tell me about the old old Godzilla movies, when you could see the strings. Which are the top 3 Godzilla movies in your opinion?

• I think the American cgi godzilla ruined us for anything less than gigantic atomic breath perfection... god that movie was great. Also I love that godzilla at the top. A Lizard Boy... a Friend. Like a giant googly eyed iguana.

• The Japanese CGI had an atomic breath that's at least 200 times bigger. Just saying

• @LadyTerror I mean, but there's a difference between the size and the way u use it- USA zilla's beam was a last resort, realistically proportioned weapon, something a real godzilla might have. Just look at USA godzilla's size overall, the movements and animation was top-notch. Not something you can overturn with a stiff guy in a rubber suit anymore. Plus look at his little baby arms im cryign it's so bad. It's hard to feel empathy and sadness for the death of a twitchy plastic toy that spits x200 size atomic breath. I'd rather cry for USA's lizard god.

• People drag American Godzilla, but I liked the design too. It looked prety good for the time, and you didn't want to see it die-or the little ones.

• my leftist former student raved about it.
    i am not interested in the concept and haven't seen any of the films just like i've never seen any terminator, mission impossible, etc films

• it also focuses on the politics of a monster attack which might be why if he was interested in politics, I just can't get over what they did to godzilla,

• may I ask why?
      You seem like you'd be good at it.

• apart from me having ocd and a need to correct every single mistake (which can be extremely tiring) it gets too intimate. some people think their tutor can be their therapist. many people think their tutor can be their lover.

i'm ok when it's really attractive actors.

• I've never seen a godzilla movie.

• I've never watched a Godzilla movie. Which one is worth watching?

What Guys Said 7

• What the fuck is wrong with Godzilla's eyes in the first form? He looks really fucking awkward compared to any other version I've seen before.

• Ew shin godzilla.

IT"S GODZILLA *says in a Chinese accent*

• Isn't it Japanese XD? *am I wrong-is my whole life a lie?*

• @vishna I've seen in in Chinese translation to but yeah Japanese is the main one they do.

sounds funny either way lol.

• I haven't seen a good Godzilla since the late 90s

• Goddamn that first form shin godzilla looks funny

• They did that because they needed a fresh new Godzilla that people would understand was a villain, since every time they tried to return him to his roots as an antagonistic embodiment of the Hiroshima nuke, people continued to root for him anyway. If it helps, think of this thing not as Godzilla, but as being some sort of offspring of Godzilla and Destroyah.

• What.

• Haha, compare to that, USA Zilla isn't that bad