Anybody else feel that Rap is starting to lose popularity?

First off, I love both Rap and Rock music. I definitely have nothing against Rap, but I feel that it's era is coming to a close real soon (at least for now).

Last year I went to a rap concert, Kendrick Lamar to be exact and the venue wasn't even half full, and this is one of the biggest rappers out there, a lot of the rap shows I've been to in the last 2 years were low in attendance, yet last summer me and some of my friends went to a Slipknot concert in the same venue and the place was packed. Doesn't that strike anybody else as a bit odd considering that rap has a bigger mainstream prescence than rock/metal?

Do you think music is on the cusp of yet another sea change? And what do you think about the future of rap music if it goes bust?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 10

• It's the curse of success.

Rap/Rock/Jazz/Blues/ whatever... they are always the best when they are made by poor people as a means to vent their emotions and inner battles. Any extension of human expression is always more authentic and artful when the underlying expressions being expressed are more raw and burning for the artist.

• Gangster rap is. But there's a new version of mainstream sort of half rap which is becoming mainstream

• I say it's about time... it's been a very stale, stagnant genre for a long while now. Time to get some fresh talent and sounds out over the airwaves!

• Rap sucks nowadays. It's not what it once was in the 90's and early 2000's. Now you have trap music and suckas like Fetty Wap stealing the airwaves. Everything sounds recycled and commercialized.

• The sad thing is that rap and hip hop used to have great messages. They used to discuss social issues and current events/struggles. Now people rap about drugs and bitches. It's getting old.

• I don't think it has... someone will come out with a new style and it will be on again... look how much it's changed since the 80's

• Probably because when rappers perform live, they suck...

• Rap isn't what it used to be. Music isn't what it used to be

• I think all music is dying And streaming has killed it. People no longer abide by the top 20 list. They go out and stream whatever they like. Listening to obscure bands from accross the world to old pop stalwarts of the 60s. People are no longer genre buffs. They no longer spend ours burying themselves in the nuances of a single genre. They float from sound to sound accepting what they like and tossing out what they don't. The album is a struggling medium and has been pushed into the realm of nostalgia. Listening to today's rap sounds like people staccato singing over some of the slower darker EDM music. Even rock and country are adopting electronic sounds and techniques. All music is going through an experimental stage of growth that I honestly don't think anyone can predict the outcome of.

• It was never popular with me.

What Girls Said 11

• i don't think so. i reckon they're just having a bit of a 'dip' in the genre. someone or something will come through and ignite it again. serious culture there, they won't let it die.

• No, @BlackLaceandLicorice
    Mostly Just GAG.
    Good luck. xx

• Yes and thank god rap use to have meaning and now all these 'rappers" keep trying to sing like wtf is that? And if they're not they can't go with rapping about b******, money, and drugs... Music has lost all of its meaning -_-

• Rap/Hip Hop has been in downward spiral for years now. Without Kendrick, J. Cole, and Drake it would've crashed and burned already.

• i don't think it's losing popularity just because one concert you went to wasn't packed. i think pop music is the most popular hence it's name and the hip hop era was golden and won't 'end' ever but might lose mainstream popularity. i'm a true hiphop fan and will stick with it till i die.

• Rap, pop and rock are going down the toilet. I only care about pop since old school pop is probably the best music I have ever heard.

• No. Kendrick's music is just a bit too hard to swallow for the fans of mainstream hip hop. You go to any trap concert that features songs with a sick beat but easy lyrics to remember and that shit will be packed to the max.

• Haven't noticed that. Though I hate rap so I don't keep up with how many people like it.

• Music has its own popularity fluctuations. Social, Political, and Economical situations play a role into what people are more inclined to listen to.

• no, rap, pop and rub are still popular

• I believe so.

Rap has grown stale and it does seem like it's starting to fade while both rock music and metal are starting make a solid comeback and EDM/Dubstep has been stealing the club scene.

It's the end of the rap era as we know it, but I feel fine.