A Woman's Beauty Is Her Art

This is an argument in defense against those who want to say that beauty means nothing, that having looks hold no value, and that anyone who ascribes value to it is superficial and/or hornier for sex than emotional connection.

A Woman's Beauty Is Her Art

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, very true. Everyone has a favorite color, is drawn to different shapes, and much of this is psychological rather than some inborn instinct towards the color red, for instance. In other word, it's what you, in your mind, have ascribed to that certain visual image that then tells your concious brain: "I like this." We have all beens socialized together, so it's not suprising that we have many of the same tastes, generally speaking. True art, though, comes from pleasing one's very individual, very specific tastes. For instance, "The Trapeze Swinger" by Iron and Wine is a 9 minute songs where he more or less repeats the same basic melody over and over. However, for me, it is the perfect song because it sits in a moment for such a long time and has lyrics that challenge you into your own emotional pain and create emotional tenderness in a world where we all work so hard to never feel sad emotions. Yet, for others, this song is possibly Sam Beam's most polorizing work, because it for all intensive purposes a boring song.

A woman's beauty works similarly. For those of us socialized in America, someone like Kate Upton is possibly the most pleasing to everyone. Yet, for myself, I prefer a more slavic look in a European decented woman. For others, they may prefer redheaded Irish girls. I may like pale girls with large butts and small breasts. Maybe that represents something to me mentally that causes me to be physically stimulated by the sight of them. For other men, that image of a woman might be ok, but it may be something they easiliy choose to pass up. This is a good thing. This is having a certain taste. Having a certain taste is the essense of being able to appreciate art.

A woman's beauty is her art. Yes, men are very visual and the construct in this country, a legacy of a patriarchical society, is to choose a woman to approach out of a group of women. Therefore, we have evolved mentally to see women as flowers. Some flowers speak to you, some others don't. Some metaphorically knock you over with how beautiful you think they are, while other's repulse you entirely. Yet, what remains constant is that men are looking at women primarily as a means of knowing the woman's personal value to them as a man. This is not just when first approaching a woman. It is waking up next to a woman in the morning light, and appreciating just looking at a woman who is so very beautiful to him. I think many men can agree that we've all had the experience of just wanting to stare at a woman who is beautiful. This makes us happy and this is not wrong. We love what our eyes can see, we love to see it. We are in love when looking at a beautiful woman and we are in love with the image of her. This is not wrong. Our eyes are a function of our bodies and our minds ability to interpret the world around us and lie to us and mispercieve things far less than our other functions of our minds do. It is such a strong means to which we experience joy that I would argue staring at a gorgeous naked girl smiling at you from beneath the covers is nearly if not more so more joyful than the actual sex itself. Feeling this way, doesn't make me superficial, it makes me an appreciator of fine art with the taste to hold the moment of her beauty suspended in joy for as long as possible before taking her. Liken it to smelling a fine wine for a long time and enjoying the scent and the promises it brings before finally taking a sip. It also doesn't make me an artist, it makes her the artist. Her beauty is her art, her natural looks are her canvas, and her makeup as well as her personality are both, in equal parts, her paintbrushes. Both have the power to make the canvas more beautiful, yet in a scenario in which a physically ugly woman becomes beautiful after getting to know her, it is still her visual beauty, raised up by her great personality that you are enjoying. In this way, I would argue that no man can be in love with a woman he does not find physically beautiful and his desire to be a with a woman who cannot spark that appreciation for the art of her beauty within him is doing so out of shame for himself as a man and his desire's which he has convinced himself are superficial and primative. Yet, the truth of the matter is that they are incredibly sophisticated and artistic. He has found an image which speaks to him. He has found a woman who, in his eyes, deserves the world. He has a found another person to fight for as he fights for himself. He has found happiness.

I'll conclude by saying that I have challenged myself here to not simply spew our rhetoric which I know to have the effect of offending others who don't understand my intention. Instead, I attempted to say nothing without explaining exactly what I mean and why it makes sense to logic. I have endeavored to consider all sides and all counterarguments to my claim. Yet, the fact that what society has taught you highly contradicts what I am saying right now. Therefore, your natural instinct will be to dimiss this argument because it is scary and uncomfortable to accept that you are being lied to and made to feel shame about something, which is not shameful. I'd ask you to consider that society has been wrong many times before and at the time we can be sure that they did not think that they were wrong at all. It is possible that American society is wrong about something. It is possible that the narrative that we aren't supposed to value woman primarily for their looks and that doing so is empty and morally wrong could be a false way of making us feel shame as a means of controlling us is possible. You see, when I can convince you to be ashamed of yourself, I can convince you that you are wrong and that I am right. Once you believe that you are wrong and that I was right to make you feel wrong about yourself, you voluntarily give me control of your reality. I determine for you what is the truth what is moral and what is acceptable. Once I control what is acceptable, you can only act in accordance with my principles. If every man felt like it was ok to go after girls because they thought they were beautiful and not because they were trying to conform and prove to their master (society) that they are good little men who care about what they're supposed to care about, everything besides beauty, then men would be choosing for themselves, living off of their own interests and artistic tastes instead of societies. Society is not evil to do this, since it only seeks to control it's individuals in order to preserve order through making sense of things. If we weren't controlled by the pressure of society shaming us, there would be chaos since there would be no shame and everyone would do whatever they wanted presumably. Yet, while this is great in situations such as committing crimes, it is not great when it comes to attraction. Therefore, I hope you actually take this argument based on how much it makes sense to you and not what your own sense of shame is preventing you from believing in.

pavlove is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 12

• All beautiful women are a work of art if they kept up with living well.

• Physical beauty IS more relevant + appreciated + valued than academic achievement in society.

The downsides
    =
    *Knowing it will fade
    *Constant unwanted attention
    *Ever changing interpretations of it within the industry that u either will or won't fit
    *Instant haters x 1000000000000
    *Daily assumptions about your intelligence

Me = online writer + freelance art dealer + part time model :)

• i bet you get a ton of hate on here too

• @TakeOwner (laughing) Tbh, I do. ie: Haters AND total disbelievers :P

ie: Its always hilarious watching how my ON line life mirrors my OFF line life.
      Peace dude xo

• I like this take.

• ... and people wonder why so many newly weds divorce after a few years.

• Women should first be taken and respected as people and for their talents personality and kindness, its always looks with women of course its going to cause mental disorders and sadness.

• But the same happens to men, you'll have men approach you but you'll turn away because he doesn't have a six pack or rock hard abs or you don't like his face. Don't demonise men when women are just as bad.

• i am not anything like that.

• i like staring at and waking up to a guy i find pretty. i dont see any difference in anything you said as a guy' and how anyone feels when looking at someone they like looking at. but you're definitely over doing it,. if looks were all that mattered no one ow;ld marry bc looks fade and no guys on here would be complaining about personality bc they wouldn't care bc looks.

you throw the word visual around as if it increases in meaning overtime you say it. it just means you experience stimulation when you see things, as does everyone. men dont own this area.

if looks are all you care about then you're treating people as objects and you shouldn't be in a relationship. just have ons. i understand you may not be able to help it. so just have ones. we can't control our pathos but we can take responsibility for how we deal with them,.

flowers wilt and die once you pick them.

• So true. I've had men who wouldn't look at me twice, and men who've worshipped me. And vice versa. Everyone is different, and like you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Great take!

• And what if a woman is not beautiful?

• she is not attractive, though, because what is considered beautiful is highly diverse it's unlikely that no man (or woman if she's a lesbian) finds her beautiful.

• Wow, amazingly well written :)

• Females are lovely creatures. "Like grace from the earth, when you're all tuckered out and tame."

• I'm confused. There was a lot of circular logic and far more words than was strictly necessary. Concision begets precision.

Are you trying to say that women don't need to have a craft, so long as someone finds them beautiful? I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. Why blather on about basically nothing for 500 words? What are you trying to say?

Why is it so earth shattering for me to accept that men are entranced by women's physical beauty? Ok, sure, whatever. As long as we all also accept that women bring more to the table than looks.

• Dude, just say your point and be done with it. Don't be a bitch.

It's earth shattering to accept there's nothing wrong with guys primarily liking a girl for her looks. In fact, girls who claim to like a girl for things other than their looks aren't being sincere.

• Girls care about looks just as much as guys opie.

• @Floyd790 that's not my point and you know it. A lasting relationship is based on more than physical attraction.

• Haha, I like how you treaded with caution. Hopefully people don't blow up on you.

Three things went through my mind while reading this:
    1) I feel bad for chicks who're universally ugly. They apparently hold no value.
    2) Damn the media.
    3) I need more eyeliner.

What Guys Said 5

• You need to learn what a paragraph is, dude. You're very articulate but you hurt my fucking eyes, God damn.

Anyway I think you're right, physical attractiveness means a lot to men, but what a man can be attracted to is still incredibly varied, ironically being on this site actually taught me that myself. But I would even go as far to say that the variation is still pretty flexible, I'm almost certain I've found more women cute than those that would think the same of me or hell, even themselves.

• Women = Art.

• Not all of them. There is the temptation to idolize and idealize the female gender which only leads to crushing disappointment when reality doesn't match up with the fantasy. Women, like men, run the gamut from the virtuous to the truly depraved.

• very nice... great images too.. well donem i like

• Sexist article and tries to discount the male body as not being aesthetic. Sorry mate Mt body is a work of art.

• lol nothing against the male body. I don't believe women enjoy us visually as much as we enjoy them visually. Therefore, our bodies aren't really appreciated as art as much, but that's changing.

• I disagree because women are just as shallow when it comes to dating good looking guys. Women might be less horny but they care about looks just as much
      Height muscles defined jaw line all matter.

• Guys are more visual that's why they get excited by what they see an us what we hear that's why guys try use words to trick girls well players anyway

• Beauty is the only thing that sets women apart well written