Myths/Facts about boobs and bra fitting

Often I see people post things about how DD is large or not. But I'm here to get a couple things straight. And I always feel like I have to help bravangelize everyone on here sometimes.

Myth: DD is huge, and A-cup is small

• Cup size alone does not determine bra size: Bra sizes are relative to the band they're on (a 34C has much less volume than a 38C and more than a 28C)
  • Bras come in these things called "sister sizes": These are bras with different band sizes than cup sizes. A bra (ie: 32FF/DDDDD) has the same amount of volume in the cup as it's sister sizes. TO calculate a sister size up, you would add one band size and decrease by one cup size. So if you want a looser band, then you would sister size up from a 32FF to a 34F. If you wanted a tighter band, you'd sister size down from your 32FF to a 30G (and you can even go further if necessary, to a 36E or a 28GG - these all have the same volume in the cup).

Here's a nifty chart:Myths/Facts about boobs and bra fitting.

Myth: DD is HUGE, that's the biggest size there is

• Fact: According to websites such as brabandproject.com, you can see what a properly fitted bra looks like and not all of the ladies wearing D+ sizes have considerably huge breasts.

I already got measured (at Victoria Secrets/La Senza, etc.) and I know my size

• Stores such as Victoria Secrets/La Senza use the out-dated +4/+5 method for getting your band size. So you may actually measure at 29in around (so best fit into a 30 band) but they add 5 (4 if your measurement was an even nuber such as 30) to give you a band size of 34, which is too loose anf cannot support your chest to it's full potential and will stretch out faster.
  • There are good ways to meausure yourself for a more accurate fit. Example = me for this. At a Victoria Secrets, I got measured. They meausred my bust measurement while I had a bra on (wrong!) and then measured my band measurement above my boobs (wrong!) and then used the +4/+5 method (wrong!). This put me at a 36C, when my real size when measured myself is a 32FF. (I have a Cleo Lily by Panache in 32F which is too small in the cup but is so cute, it has parrots on it)

I measured my size according to your link, but it must be wrong/that's not a real size

• Actually the bra band project is really helpful for getting over the initial sticker shock.
  • Yes, bras do come in your size and they do come in more than just beige. Brands such as Fantasie and Panache are just two of many bra brands that carry up to KK cup sizes in bands 28-38. (and if you're worried about price, order off of amazon or ebay. I got my favorite bra from ebay for $30 - the style was discontinued at the end of the seasons, because seasons change and so patterns change)

It's not my size, I don't fill out the whole cup

• Are you scooping and swooping? If you don't know what this means, it's basically taking your boob and making sure it fills the entire cup.
  • You may have the wrong shape bra. The lovely community over at www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits will be happy to help assist you in finding the perfect bra for your shape and size!
  • You might have to sister size down.

How to tell if your bra fits or doesn't fit: A simple guide/checklist

• Does the band ride up/down in the back? If yes, then it is too large
  • Does the cup wrinkle or gap and you have already scooped and swooped? Then it is either too large or too projected/shallow
  • Do you have spillage (do you get that quadboob effect)? Your cup size is too small.
  • Is the gore (center part of the bra) flat against your chest? If no, then you have too small of a cup.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• To me size is not important, only how to boobs look is.

• Kinda already knew how they worked but this was wayyyy in depth, liked it.

• Well this was informative!

• Didn't think bras were this complicated.
    I thought you just tried them on till they fit...

• Well of course you can. But getting your size gives a good idea of where to start

• Somebody needs to invent a one size fits all bra that works for people who needs simplicity. For everything else, they can always go back to the barage of bra codes.

• I so confused

What Girls Said 12

• Yesssssss! Guys and girls should learn about this!
    I always thought I were a 36B, where in truth I am a 30DD!
    The thing is I can't find bras in 30DD, so I have to buy other numbers...

• so that makes me a 36E?
    whaaaaaat lol

• My underbust is 28.34 inch, so I should say a band of 28 or a band of 30?
    And the measurement around the fullest part of my breasts is 34.25 inch, so I should count it as 34?
    After this, what's my bra size?
    Sorry but I'm not sure how I should do this... 😞

• Sorry I didn't see this. I'd recommend trying both and seeing, but a 30 may be more comfortable and if you use the calculator linked it allows for decimal sizes

• I once bought a bra that had a label on it that said "My first bra! <3"

... I was 17

In Dutch sizes I'm like an 80A which can be pretty hard to find sometimes (or at least in the stores I've looked)

• Thank you! this was really helpful! :-)

• That would make me a 36f... Are you sure that's right?

• Is your actual measurement around your rib cage 36 inches? With a 7" difference?

• I mean maybe. If you want to try a 36E (same as a 36DDD if you want to use American sizes) that may fit better

• I'll try that but a 36E still sounds huge O_O

• My boobies lack size, but not Charisma!
    Also, they're perky as f*dge

• Our boobs also vary in size depending on out menstrual cycle. It can change enough to make a noticeable difference! So it might be ideal to measure when your boobs feel the fullest, so as not to undershoot /vice versa

• Mine personally don't change at all (I measure the same all around, but maybe that's bc my period is still irregular- meaning I haven't completed puberty yet)

• THANK YOU! FINALLY!

• one of my boobs are bigger then the other, if my boobs get any bigger I will need to buy new bras.

• That's really normal. Mine are a whole cup size different then each other

• Well I've been wearing the wrong size bra for a long time haha.

• so i would be a 28D eh? xD So glad they actually have bands for my underbust, I'm always just using a 32C or B

• yeah, a smaller band will give you more support

• It's just really hard to find bands under 32, but buying online will definitely broaden the choices :D

• This helps thanks. Are there anyways (other than surgery) to reduce the size?