Dating and makeup false advertising or Not? Here's my response.

Since the the poster of this myTake is incapable of someone challenging their ideas, I've decided to write a response take. I've been blocked so it seems as though they've bested me with their "clever" remark but I'm unable to respond to the thread so here's my own.

The orginal take is here: http://www.girlsaskguys.com/fashion-style/a22326-dating-makeup-false-advertisement-or-not and you can see my comment plus their response.

Essentially they claim women wearing makeup is not false advertising which in fact it is. Their idea was that commercials advertise the best looking cheese burger and even though you know the cheeseburger won't look like that in real life you aren't stopped from buying it in store. You still give that burger a chance because it's a really great burger on the inside. So by their logic if you see a woman with a face full of makeup, it is your fault if you do not realize she won't look as good without it and you should be satisfied with whatever you end up with. This was my response to the Take:

"So if I put up an ad on Craig's list stating I have a 2015 shiny red corvette for sale and someone shows up and in reality I'm selling a 2002 rusted blue honda, and my excuse is I needed to attract you first in order for you to give it try because it's a really great car, it's really reliable and you'd be quite happy with it. Does that man not have the right to be infuriated and completely turned off to what this car really looks like? Does he not reserve the right to walk away from something he wasn't expecting? Was that not false advertising even though I had 'good intentions'? Because the blue honda on it's own is just great, and if I would've been honest in the first place then I would've found the right buyer for my honda, not the right buyer for a corvette."

The fact remains if you lure people in with the idea of something being one way when in reality it is another, you don't have the right to get mad when they don't want you anymore. If you were honest from the beginning instead of attracting the guy who's right for the corvette, you'd attract the guy that's right for your honda, and both you and the buyer would be much happier. Apparently that's not a good enough comparison as people and cars are different, so I'm guessing people must not be that different from cheese burgers because clearly that was gold. -__-

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 9

• It's funny because makeup is like those not only blatantly misinforming ads that just clearly don't actually show the real product, but they are so obnoxious that it literally makes you know what brand to avoid purchasing ever.

I never liked makeup, I've seen like only two instances of makeup actually looking great without making the eyelashes look spidery, making the lips look unnaturally white or blood red, etc. Mostly because the moment you put mascara on the bottom eyelashes, you'll look hella weird.

People only wear makeup because they were socialized to believe that they need it in order to "look more professional and/or attractive because they put effort into their appearance". Do you think I'd be more attractive if I put paint on my eyelashes and painted the circle around my eyes blue? Because I know I wouldn't be.

The car comparison is invalid because it is still the same car, it just looks different.

• It isn't necessarily invalid. I could argue by saying it's not the same car just like it's not the same face. At the end of the day a face is a face and a car is a car, but they are totally different from what's been put out.

• Girls have fake personalities, too.

• Push-up bras are the real lie. Guys expect make-up, but if I buy a 40$ Lobster or Steak dinner because I'm expecting DD's then it's false advertising.

• The issue is spreading bad genes because we don't know what we're getting. It's kind of bullshit marketed to women in a way that makes them feel like makeup is natural beauty. I had to work my ass off, keep myself clean, eat a fuck ton, go to the gym, work manual labor, to get the way I look; you just had to not eat and cover your flaws up.

Maybe it's natural; maybe it cost $12.95

• Lol nice, but not even with that $12.95 price point. Makeup is so expensive for absolutely no reason. Maybe $12.95 for some eye liner and mascara, but a full face gets pretty expensive. Which is another reason women shouldn't wear it. It's a complete and utter waste of money, you'd save so many dollar bills walking around like a normal human being instead of unnecessarily spending cash on something so temporary and damaging.

• Congrats on being 19 and not conforming to the female marketed bullshit. You'll go far.

• Lol thank you. :)

• I agree with you. Anyone who thinks a woman in make up will look the same out of it is an idiot. The only false advertising I have a problem with is when I am looking for a sandwich and I get a hot dog instead. Thats a big bag of nope!

• @Cookies_AndMilk that take owner in the other is like that, I argued one of her points the other day and she blocked comments on my opinion lmao

• Lol!!! that's so weak. If you can't take hearing another opinion why even post something? She's just biased lol. I've had it happen to me a few times, I can't deal with those people. xD

• The passive aggressive blocking with intention to hamper free speech is why I have almost stopped using this site.

• Yes I know right, this site has gone down hill fast

• I simply dont find make up, perfume, and other non-natural characteristics attractive. In that second photo, for example, I'd be more attracted to the red faced girl than the cover up girl any day

And girls are not cars, they aren't selling themselves, and if they were, you'd want them to put on their best corvette face anyway cause you'd only have them for one drive

• The point of that example was to use the original poster's logic when providing an answer. Girls aren't cheeseburger either, the purpose is pointing out the difference in reality vs what you've put out there.

• IT's AN ANALOGY BRUH FFS

• Good talk

• I think you put that quite well.
    Accentuating what is already there and drawing on a masterpiece are two very different things. The latter is false advertising.

• This is exactly how i feel. At least one girl isn't so blind as to not see this!

• Thank you! Girls will get mad at this before they take a look at themselves. It's their own bias because they like painting their faces on every morning lol. But that's cool, I'll stick to my natural beauty looking healthy and vibrant while their makeup destroys their skin and ages them like the sun. :)

• That's honestly really messed up. But I'm curious as to how in the hell she was able to hide it from him for so long!

• I don't know, he one day asked her to show him what she looked like and the image was forever burned into his head. He said he needed to take a moment and leave the room to give her a response when she asked him what he thought.

What Girls Said 12

• The second girl doesn't even look that different. The first girl is what the world is troubled by... o. O

• I agree with this wholeheartedly. Girls go out looking like Marilyn Monroe and come home take off their makeup and look like wilderbeasts! You can't expect a man to be okay with this. Most women argue that clearly the woman is wearing makeup but now a days people are creating new features such as smaller noses, higher cheekbones, etc. Guys know nothing about contouring do you really expect them to recognize the fact that you contoured your nose or cheeks to give yourself a new face? Then they was it off and bam the cheek bones are gone the smaller nose is gone and they look nothing like they did before. guys know most women wear makeup but they expect you to look at least somewhat similar to yourself wearing makeup as well as not wearing makeup. If you look like a totally different person with makeup on you cannot get mad at a man when he doesn't like you without makeup on. Essentially you lied regardless if you're wearing makeup for a man or not. I personally wear makeup but do I go from a circular face with baby cheeks to a chiseled jaw line with cheekbones.. No I do not I only enhance what I naturally have. That's what makeup is for after all. When a guy sees me without makeup I look pretty much the same although I do look more tired. I use concealer for dark circles because honestly college is rough man lol :) As long as you look somewhat the same without makeup as you do with makeup I don't think any guy would have a problem with it. I like this myTake by the way! :)

• We (girls) need to get drunk

• O. O no one needs to get drunk. Do you need somebody to talk to? I keep seeing you post that.

• -_____- I'm not going to deal with this. If anyone thinks alcohol will solve their problems they're really freaking stupid. I was offering to help if you needed someone to talk to but clearly that's not what you're looking for. Take care, just understand you're destroying your body and your sanity.

• Just get drunk u will see what I see

• Women aren't advertising to you in the first place, mate xD

• I don't understand the women who wear full faces of make up to say, the grocery store, but on a night out or special occasion, I say go for it. I think make up is fun and it's an art form in a way. Just don't wear that sort of make up every day. Don't forget, there's women out there that actually contour cleavage onto themselves lol and now, we have a new trend of highlighting and contouring the body to make ourselves more toned.
    Who cares anyway? Women wear push up bras, fake tans, corsets, figure shaping underwear, even heels create the illusion of longer legs and a perkier butt.
    That's why you always take a girl swimming on the first date ;)

• And all these guys saying they like natural girls. Please brothers, you wouldn't know what's real and what's fake. Most of you think porn stars look like that when they wake up in the morning and didn't spend thousands to get those boobs on that tiny figure.

• Now it is lol Have you seen the Youtube videos where the girls contour their boobs into F cups with two bras, socks and make up?

• Lol no I haven't but I need to check it out. Why would anyone even do that? Lol.

• personally i think i am a human not a billboard so if i am not advertising anything, i can't be sending a false advertisement. and if you honestly think a woman has that red of lips like in the second pic or that long of lashes in the first pic you are really fuckin stupid.

• Thanks for the attitude, an advertisement could also be drawing attention to something or making something known. When you wear makeup to "enhance" -__- a certain feature you're announcing it's presence and/or making something known. i. e red lipstick to draw the focus to the lips or a dramatic smokey eye to center the focus on the eyes. These are advertisements my dear.

• save us with your logic ginny D:

• Actually he probably would care what she looked like without makeup because attraction does play into loving someone.

• You're so passive aggressive... Lol let's see if you block me by challenging you this time.

Your example about the ad on Craigslist and cars is not a good one in my opinion. OK, girls who use makeup to then look like a whole different person, as if they've undergone plastic surgery, is indeed false advertising.

BUT! Most women you see on the streets don't wear that kind of makeup. They only use makeup that enhance their features, not completely to turn into some other human being. The pictures in her take actually is clear, both before and afters show the same facial features. Only skin smoothed out, and eyes "colored in". I don't see anything wrong in decorating your eyes and smoothing out a bumpy surface. Everyone does that.

I find it silly that you argue about a thing that is actually two different things. Or are you that kind of person who thinks girls should not wear makeup at all, not even as a decoration? If yes then you sound like a guy. I've never heard a girl being this much against regular everyday makeup.

• So because I don't sound like most girls it's a problem? Lol, if a man doesn't like something in a woman he has every right to feel that way. People can have certain requests of their partners and those requests may even be nonnegotiable and that's okay. Clearly you didn't take the time to look at other opinions and my responses to them, no one is talking about a girl who wants to wear mascara and some lip gloss this is clearly about makeup that changes what you look like. I personally don't wear a stitch of makeup I have no need for it, I feel like makeup is completely unnecessary as well as other adornments that aren't naturally a part of you like fake nails, lashes, fake hair etc. I'm not a Christmas tree, I don't need decorations to feel good about myself. I just need to look at my real face and be happy. Colored in eyes can give them the appearance of being larger and "smoothed skin" covers up acne and scars. If you remove that and have bad skin and beady eye a man has every right

• Actually her whole point in this myTake was to point out to the girls who wear makeup everyday not to get mad when a guy sees you without it and doesn't like what he sees. Most girls get mad and call the guy a douche when essentially you looked nothing like what he saw or was initially attracted to. If you look completely different without makeup and the guy doesn't like that it's your problem not his. She doesn't care if you wear makeup just don't get mad if a guy doesn't find you attractive without it or if he wants to end the relationship when he founds out what you really look like.

• I've just never managed to be convinced that makeup is "false advertising".

I think when a woman or man leaves their house, they don't owe the outside world anything, they don't owe anyone their "natural" self.

People don't just go in public to meet other people and a lot of people aren't even looking to meet someone and date them, so how are they false advertising exactly? You met them once with makeup on and you will most likely never meet them again, you passed them on the street, they didn't take you home with them, so what is there to feel mislead about exactly?

People enhance themselves with working out, with attractive clothes/purses/shoes, with deodorant/perfumes, hair sprays, hair gel etc. And if you take part in any of those things then you can't fault others for taking part in something like makeup because you do the same thing but on a different level.

I personally don't like a lot of makeup (I use powder sometimes, eye liner some days, mascara and lip gloss) but I just have no issues with someone using whatever they like to enhance their looks, even I agree that some people use way too much makeup but it's just not my business.

Also you have to be a complete fool to not notice when someone has caked a load of makeup on their face.

• I'm sorry, I know you were talking about "Dating" and makeup and I do agree on that level but I was responding to others comments as well, that wasn't necessarily directed at you lol

Personally if I was dating someone and going out to meet people then I wouldn't cake a lb of makeup on my face but the bottom line is people do all sorts of things to enhance their looks and it's not really fair to condemn only a few.

• Don't worry about it, I still appreciate your feedback. I don't think people should be demanding of strangers considering most people you run into in the public you'll never see again in your life, but if you're in a relationship with someone then yes you should be able to have certain requests of your partner and if some of them are nonnegotiable then that's okay too.

• That would scare me honestly, to get into a relationship with someone and they met me with my face contoured and all of that other shit girls do to their face, it's crazy lol

• Women are not fucking cars or cheeseburgers waiting to be sold, though, so that's a stupid comparison.

If you literally think someone was born with glitter on their eyelids, bright red lips and 5 cm long eyelashes with black lumps on them, then you're the one in need of a serious reality check. Mentally it shouldn't be that hard to picture someone without their makeup.

• You clearly don't understand the point. For one I was using an example to compare to the original poster's logic so yeah it makes sense. If you put yourself out there looking a certain way don't get mad when someone doesn't like what underneath. This is about women who wear a new face everyday. Makeup ages you and damages your skin, it literally makes you ugly. The point is don't expect someone not to be repulsed by the abuse you've put your face through. Maybe if you were bare face you'd attract the right guy for you, but when you cake chemicals on each morning you're only attracting the guy that's going to expect that from you. Also, there's such a thing as "natural" makeup, it makes you look youthful and flawless as if you weren't wearing anything but underneath is a hideous story of lies.

• @takumii I like how she results to personal insults toward your creativity simply because she has a weak argument. Of course it's difficult to imagine someone without their makeup when they're pulling tricks out of the wazoo. Makeup can be used to make your eyes larger or smaller, rounder or more slanted, it gives the appearance of fuller lips, healthy skin, clear skin, cheek bones and a slimmer nose, thick eyebrows and so much more. Remove all that garbage and underneath is flushed out pale gray sickly looking skin, thin and often non existent eyebrows that have been shaved off, tiny eyes that are puffy and red, thin pale lips, a wider nose, a round face, and everything else that you've tried to change. If no one has seen you before in their life and they've only been able to see you with makeup it is nearly impossible to imagine what's underneath all of that when you paint your face on each day.

• I swear, people must be a special kind of stupid if they don't understand the concept of an analogy...

• Ehh... I agree to a point. Men should understand that makeup is similar to an art (actually it is an art). You don't need to wear makeup, but some women do. I don't believe it's "false advertising" because people should know that it's not real. Eyelashes don't curl like that, they aren't long and voluptuous like that. Lips aren't naturally tinted that shade of red, skin isn't perfectly clear like it is with makeup. What did you expect once she took it all off? She is going to look human - sorry to break it to you.

However, I do think there's a difference between accentuating your features and completely changing the shape of your face with contour and bronzer. I think, if you're posting pictures of yourself on a dating website or something like that, you should have a variety of different pictures on display, some that only have a little bit of makeup and some with a full face (if you wish). That way, the other person can get a taste of what's really under all that makeup.

• Even though we know makeup isn't reality I don't think anyone is ever prepared for the drastic change that's underneath. If a girl wants to wear mascara or whatever then sure, but if you can wash your face off at night they shouldn't be upset when someone isn't satisfied with that in the slightest. Most women aren't even ugly without makeup, it's just the change is so drastic it's shocking.

• Hey sweetie, what if I act all nice, make you believe I am a nice guy, open door of the car for you and buy you food, date you and have sex with you and then fucking dump you the next day. Obviously you wouldn't mind that , would you? Since you have no problem with false advertisement.

• @takumii First of all, that has nothing to do with "false advertisement" and has everything to do with being an abusive, lying asshole. Okay sweetie?

• I kinda agree with what you said, but only when it's extreme like those images. I wear makeup but don't really look much different from when i don't. Mostly BB cream for SPF and when I look dead wrecked and mascara cuz my eyelashes will poke my eyeballs out when given the chance. Some people do take it to the extremes though. You remember that absolutely hilarious case about that husband that sued his wife? Cuz she'd had cosmetic surgery done or whatever and didn't tell him so their kids came out looking nothing like what, I assumed, he'd expected? Lol. That was bad. LOL, that was some false advertising. Lol, China.

• Lol yes, that's more so what this post is about than anything else. I personally don't wear any form of makeup I don't even wear nail polish because I don't like the idea of chemicals and what not. I believe in natural beauty but if a girl is going to do her makeup like what you said, then yeah it's whatever. You still look similar when you take it off but to paint on a new face? Oh ma gaahhh lol.

• :OOOOOOOOO have you been poking around in my thoughts? I've literally said this exact same thing, that's how I feel about most people too! And even if I didn't find them good looking somebody else does, we're all beautiful by default based on that simple fact alone lol.

• Oh. No. Telepathy is actually something I would not wish to have lol. I dunno, I don't remember the majority of the posts I've seen so sorry if it's redundant or anything. It's just something I've noticed about people. I've had friends complain about their looks and I actually know a few people who have gotten cosmetic surgery done to look pretty. It's not like it's baffling to me or anything, it's just a bit disheartening that there's the need for stuff like this, whether it's just painting on a face or surgeries. Lol. As for the makeup thing, the false advertising bit doesn't really concern me, I'm just concerned that they have a good face washing regimen. LOL.

• I agreed with what you said