Why are high heels sexy? Actual scientific data about the sexiness of heels!

Actual scientific data about the sexiness of heels....

So I ran into this study today, which intended to answer the question, "Why are heels sexy?"

Here's what they found...

"The wearing of high heels hoists the derriere by approximately 20 to 30 degrees as a function of the heel’s size. The larger the heel is, the greater the lift. As we age, gravity becomes a growing nemesis to our figures, especially for women. Perky body parts are associated with youth, sagging parts with age. Accordingly, any product that can “reverse” the effects of gravity by yielding a more youthful-looking body is an easy seller, be it high heels or push-up bras. In addition to serving as a Gestalt cue for youth, a raised backside is attractive to men because it mimics lordosis, the sexually receptive position that mammalian females adopt prior to mating. Also, high heels cater to men’s preference for longer legs; a recent study found that both sexes preferred individuals whose legs were 5 percent longer than the average.

In addition to the perceptual changes associated with women’s figures when wearing high heels, might it be the case that a woman’s gait is differentially attractive as a function of the shoes that she is wearing? Incredibly, this is precisely what two Japanese scientists found. Specifically, in judging women’s gaits, men evaluated those wearing high heels to be more feminine and physically attractive than their counterparts walking in loafers."

You didn't have to waste money conducting a study on that, right? Just ask any guy on the street and he could have told you that.

Okay, I'll admit I'm halfway joking. The science behind it is pretty interesting (or maybe I'm just a science geek).

Of course, I'm still attracted to my girlfiend when she's in sweats (especially yoga pants). Attraction is about more than looks anyway. But when she does dress up, she's even sexier. It's the combination of her putting in the extra effort just for me, and the obvious physical appeal.

My girlfriend doesn't really like to wear heels, and I get why. I mean, it actually looks pretty painful. Sometimes she wears them anyway, just because she knows I like it. (I promise I don't make her do it! Haha.)

Historically, men have been known to wear heels. I wonder why women didn't stop wearing them when men did. I mean, are there any girls here who actually enjoy wearing heels? The way my girlfriend describes it, it seems equal to the same amount of pain as getting tackled in football. I know she's not entirely serious, but I really am asking a serious question.

So, ladies. How many of you actually like wearing heels?

4238

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like wearing them, I can't walk properly in them and I've been told numerical professionals that I should never ever wear them again after my ankle injuries. That said I own a few pairs, one of which I do on occasion wear. The others are just pretty and a reminder that I can't ever wear pretty shoes again.

I'm not sure how much I believe the science behind this, I mean this doesn't sound scientific, it sounds like a bunch of creeps in lab suits:

"Specifically, in judging women’s gaits, men evaluated those wearing high heels to be more feminine and physically attractive than their counterparts walking in loafers."

How does one scientifically gauge such things? Being more feminine? The idea that this is being measured makes me doubt the entire study besides the mathematical facts of elevation.

• Yeah, I agree! Being more or less feminine (conversely, masculine) is a rather subjective thing that changes with cultural and social influences.

• @SpecJack exactly, plus you know... they're from a part of the world where mutilating women's feet was seen as beautiful. Admittedly more prevalent in China but there is a culture of female suffering=beauty.

Most Helpful Guy

• Some women look like they can't even walk in heels, and I think the clicking sound obviously forces people to look at where the sound is coming from. What if you heard the clicking of heels, and look over to see a fat sweaty guy in a leotard?

Not a big fan of heels, it reminds of being at a courthouse. And most women don't have the opportunity to wear heels so I'd be wary of a woman that felt the need to always wear heels.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 41

• Well in general, something/ anything, with curves will for the most part be more alluring to the eyes, more~so than something bland and straight.

and heels makes your posture curve, making your booty appear more arched, plus the thinner and higher the stiletto, the sexier it looks because it curves you that much more... That's why to "most" guys, this look is far more sexy than any other look.

However, most don't realize that wearing them too much can mess up your posture and also can make you more prone to develop varicose veins, especially if you are on the heavier side... because of all the pressure and weight you're putting on your feet. ... and if you (not referring to you per se, just in general) tend to wear closed toe stilettos, then you're also prone to have deformed feet if you don't have them deformed already... making the big toe point in and the small one point inwards too.
    called bunions, and they are awfully far from appealing. ... which is why I personally prefer this type of stiletto s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...63ca1d4303.jpg www.polyvore.com/.../img-thing

Rather than these type of shaped heels... where your toes are forced to be in a triangle? ewk! who designed these craps? do they really think a foot looking like a triangle is sexy? once the shoes comes off, if it has taken the form of the shoe for wearing it too look, that's just totally an eye sore. and probably a foot sore as well.
    www.pdxqcenter.org/.../High-Heels.jpg
    top10photos.com/.../...hoes-Collection-2015-24.jpg
    because these ^^^ will deform your foot... creating bunions. D:

• I hate hate haaaaate wearing heels and when I do wear them they're never more than a couple inches and have to be well padded inside. If I have to do any more walking than a couple blocks I don't wear them.

• I'm a flat shoe kind of girl. I wear heels for special occasions but that's about it. I'm already taller than everyone without them and I don't need (or want) to be taller, lol. I understand what makes them sexy and appealing, but they are harmful to the feet, legs, hips, and spine especially with frequent wear. I have flat arches and wearing heels forces them to flex and stretch more than they actually can. They basically hyper extend my feet and that hurts!

• I love heels but I only wear them if i'm going out but not walking much. I could never be one of those girls who goes shopping in them or walks for hours in them anymore. I mostly wear wedges now, they don't hurt near as much, they look good, they're easy to walk in.

Not being in pain is worth more to me than someone liking how I look in heels. There are plenty of shoes that look good and don't torture your feet.

We were required to wear a minimum of 3 inch heels at work for years when I first started and we walk for 6 hours straight. I had to work for 12 hours straight on the weekends in heels and my feet were sore for days after that lol. They finally ended up changing it because so many girls were calling in to work due to their feet being sore the next day, they couldn't even walk, it was ridiculous.

• I like wearing them once in a while, because I like how they look and I feel more powerful wearing them. They are uncomfortable for long periods of time, but if they fit well then they aren't bad at all unless they are stupidly high. The trick is learning to walk in them without looking like a part of the penguin parade.

• I wear 4 inches the most on occasions but at work , I need flats because I normally have a very hectic lifestyle. I am wondering if I would ever get pass 4 inches tho. Heels are very sophisticated and good for parties, weddings and other functions but wearing them for very long periods can put a strain on the back.

• i love the way stilettos look and i wear them as often as i can when i know i won't be doing too much walking

• I hate wearing heals. I can hardly walk in them. I will however wear them to my homecoming. Just a short heal would do. On normal days I usually wear sneakers and flats. Ain't nobody got time for heals!

• 5|2
  • I like to look at them, but I haven't found the perfect pair yet. I can wear booties with a medium chunky heel with ease and platforms, but anything else requires too much effort. I don't know why, but even if I can walk in a pair of heels, after a while the balls of my feet hurt.

• I love high heels on tall girls XD

They look like goddess, I wish I could look so good with them XD

• I love wearing heels, I feel way more feminine and I never wear flat shoes in general I always wear ankle boots etc. Plus I'm short and I look taller and also skinnier :) I don't mind the pain and I don't feel it anymore because my feet are used to it now

• I like wearing them when I don't have to walk much lol. It depends on the height of the heels too, I have heels ranging from 3" to 10", so the 10" could be a pain in the neck sometimes. I always keep a pair of foldable flats in my handbag if I'm wearing heels.

Some of my heels are quite tall that my friends always ask me not to wear em 😔

• @mskay thats smart. I do carry a pair of flats too when am wearing heels

• @luvstoned4him ahah yeah 😅 I don't carry those flats if my heels are 3"/4" tho, those are easy for me to walk and even sprint (to catch a bus/train). I only carry one when my heels are like >6" tall 🙈

• I don't mind wearing small ones but the stilettos are so painful.

• I like them.. and they look so pretty.. 👠👢 and feel so good for first 10 minutes.. after that others might like them on me but I am done.. 2nd thing is that I become too tall with heels.. like 5 10" or 5 11" and I look like a tower among my friends.. and they actually ask me NOT to wear heels in a party.. 😔

• I like wearing heels! Its cool to feel tall for once, and they just make my outfits look so much tied together and elegent, you know? Sure they start to hurt after about three hours of non stop dancing, but hey you can always take hem off at that point. I dont wear them everyday, only for special occasions or if I'm bored and wanna feel tall around the house lol. Its nice for a change

• I used to wear heels like all the time. I could even sprint in them lol The pain was excruciating after standing in them for hours, but you get used to it.
    After I injured my ankle during sport, I had to wear flat shoes for a while, because wearing heels hurt like ten times more than that other kind of pain. It was like someone was stabbing my ankle with a knife!
    Anyway, during that time, I kind of made peace with my height and didn't feel like compensating it anymore. Now I only wear heels on special occassions.

• @bubble_tea , sprint really? Do you mind giving a girl pointers on wearing and running in these heels?

• @luvstoned4him Whoever told you heels first is right. I just think in order to stop walking "heavy" in heels, first you need to be able to walk on the ball of your foot first. And then learn to walk so that the heel and ball of the shoe touch the floor simultaneously.. and after that you can learn to do a heel strike first. I think that's what I did first, because my heel kept wobbling around and I felt like I had no support at all in the heeled sandals I bought. Every step felt like my ankle could give in any second.. If you can already do that, you can just jump to step 3.
      If you want to run, you have to do toe strike first though.

• @bubble_tea ok thanks soo much. I will try it

• I don't like wearing high heels. I generally wear shoes that are higher than flat ones, but not really high. Only from time to time I wear wedge sandles, but not extremely high.

I see some women wearing ridiculously high heels and suffering to walk everyday. I know some girls at work who never ever wear anything but very high heels, because they have an issue with self- confidence. Yes: they are trying to hide their height. But this is funny because everyone can tell they are short.

There is also another thing. I know that many men don't like high heels. And it's gone scientific too, because a study mentioned on BBC confirms that men don't care about high heels and can still see how short women wearing them are.

• I love heels. I love the way they look, I love wearing them, and I love the way I feel when I walk in them. I wear 3-4 inch wedges to work, and I'm always on my feet. I wear 5-6 inch heels when I go out, because they make my legs look fabulous, and they bring my height up to average xD

• I love wearing heels! Most of mine are 13cm high 💕
    They don't hurt for me to walk in until it gets to around the 6/7 hour mark, but that rarely happens anyway.
    I like wearing mine because they make me feel more confident, make me taller, and tone my legs nicely, even if I hate how muscular my calves are in the first place haha. Not to mention, our butts look even more awesome and it's always nice to be able to check yourself out in a reflection 😂

• I like wearing heels... for about 5 minutes. They're absolutely killers, I've almost given up on them but I do find I get more attention the higher the heels are. I already knew the science behind it.

• More from Girls
    21

What Guys Said 37

• I never found heels sexy.

Also, they were originally invented by men. Think cowboy boots. Women started wearing them to appear masculine, and subsequently men stopped wearing them to avoid looking feminine.

• I really dont know, they just are. Bc they are feminine I guess. And their toned legs POP with heels.

• I think the real question is why the hell would I care.

• my exes always wore high heels, But most of the time it was with a thicker heel. They enjoyed it. I think its sexy because it perks up the butt and improves their posture. Like how when men wear dress shoes they stand up straighter. that's why I never by flat shoes

• To be honest I don't care about heels at all. I find it a bit of a turnoff if a woman wears heels.

I'm a function over form guy, and if a girl is willing to torture her feet just to look slightly taller then she's not my type.

• I love a woman in heels. They look so much more sexier than they do in flats! Especially when it comes to working/business women.

• OH! MY! GOD!, Just put red heels on sexy long waxed legs! I start to drool.. I might steal her legs...

• The tall slender - more exquisite delivered ~ general would wear high heels more slender legs beautiful display - you can watch in the street will know. Wear shoes and high heels are not the same people. Seems to be wearing high heels weight loss ~ ~ but listen to what others say or should not wear high heels.. really. ~ tired hard ~ (wearing ah `~) and for bad - long wearing high heels shoes.'ll heels variant ~ Beckham too wife is an example - once because of constant wear those heels over load had surgery ~

• Not only do heels make a woman's legs look longer, it makes her calves and thighs flex, making them extremely attractive.

• Ohh some Louboutins Das hot

• I just don't see how they're considered attractive to guys oh well it will be forever a mystery

• I love wearing heels :) not the most comfortable things but they look amazing!!

• Mainly cause it makes their butt look more formed and tight

• I dont like high heels at all

• the girl in the main pic is a total babe

• I always think high heels look silly, not sexy.

• yeah but they must do a number on your feet right? : O

• High hills are not sexy but I don't know why but its a fact that sexy ladies prefer high hills

• I don't find heels sexy at all, but more power to those who do.

• Makes her ass more perky ;P

• More from Guys
    17