Why are high heels sexy? Actual scientific data about the sexiness of heels!

Actual scientific data about the sexiness of heels....

So I ran into this study today, which intended to answer the question, "Why are heels sexy?"

Here's what they found...

"The wearing of high heels hoists the derriere by approximately 20 to 30 degrees as a function of the heel’s size. The larger the heel is, the greater the lift. As we age, gravity becomes a growing nemesis to our figures, especially for women. Perky body parts are associated with youth, sagging parts with age. Accordingly, any product that can “reverse” the effects of gravity by yielding a more youthful-looking body is an easy seller, be it high heels or push-up bras. In addition to serving as a Gestalt cue for youth, a raised backside is attractive to men because it mimics lordosis, the sexually receptive position that mammalian females adopt prior to mating. Also, high heels cater to men’s preference for longer legs; a recent study found that both sexes preferred individuals whose legs were 5 percent longer than the average.

In addition to the perceptual changes associated with women’s figures when wearing high heels, might it be the case that a woman’s gait is differentially attractive as a function of the shoes that she is wearing? Incredibly, this is precisely what two Japanese scientists found. Specifically, in judging women’s gaits, men evaluated those wearing high heels to be more feminine and physically attractive than their counterparts walking in loafers."

You didn't have to waste money conducting a study on that, right? Just ask any guy on the street and he could have told you that.

Okay, I'll admit I'm halfway joking. The science behind it is pretty interesting (or maybe I'm just a science geek).

Of course, I'm still attracted to my girlfiend when she's in sweats (especially yoga pants). Attraction is about more than looks anyway. But when she does dress up, she's even sexier. It's the combination of her putting in the extra effort just for me, and the obvious physical appeal.

My girlfriend doesn't really like to wear heels, and I get why. I mean, it actually looks pretty painful. Sometimes she wears them anyway, just because she knows I like it. (I promise I don't make her do it! Haha.)

Historically, men have been known to wear heels. I wonder why women didn't stop wearing them when men did. I mean, are there any girls here who actually enjoy wearing heels? The way my girlfriend describes it, it seems equal to the same amount of pain as getting tackled in football. I know she's not entirely serious, but I really am asking a serious question.

So, ladies. How many of you actually like wearing heels?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 42

• I like wearing heels... for about 5 minutes. They're absolutely killers, I've almost given up on them but I do find I get more attention the higher the heels are. I already knew the science behind it.

• I like wearing them when I don't have to walk much lol. It depends on the height of the heels too, I have heels ranging from 3" to 10", so the 10" could be a pain in the neck sometimes. I always keep a pair of foldable flats in my handbag if I'm wearing heels.

Some of my heels are quite tall that my friends always ask me not to wear em 😔

• @mskay thats smart. I do carry a pair of flats too when am wearing heels

• @luvstoned4him ahah yeah 😅 I don't carry those flats if my heels are 3"/4" tho, those are easy for me to walk and even sprint (to catch a bus/train). I only carry one when my heels are like >6" tall 🙈

• I don't mind wearing small ones but the stilettos are so painful.

• I hate wearing heals. I can hardly walk in them. I will however wear them to my homecoming. Just a short heal would do. On normal days I usually wear sneakers and flats. Ain't nobody got time for heals!

• I hate hate haaaaate wearing heels and when I do wear them they're never more than a couple inches and have to be well padded inside. If I have to do any more walking than a couple blocks I don't wear them.

• Honestly, I love high heels on girls. They almost always make their legs look better and girls can just look really sexy in them. I personally don't like to wear them due to no comfort but I wear them whenever I can to feel good about myself.

• I love high heels on tall girls XD

They look like goddess, I wish I could look so good with them XD

• i love the way stilettos look and i wear them as often as i can when i know i won't be doing too much walking

• Only try to wear spiky ones for short periods. ... doesn't always work out like that tho...

• I wear 4 inches the most on occasions but at work , I need flats because I normally have a very hectic lifestyle. I am wondering if I would ever get pass 4 inches tho. Heels are very sophisticated and good for parties, weddings and other functions but wearing them for very long periods can put a strain on the back.

• love my heels, but after like an hour or two my feet are throbbing the struggle

• When you're 4"11, heels are a girls best friend. It's all about finding comfortable ones (they do exist.) I love wearing heels.

• I used to wear heels like all the time. I could even sprint in them lol The pain was excruciating after standing in them for hours, but you get used to it.
    After I injured my ankle during sport, I had to wear flat shoes for a while, because wearing heels hurt like ten times more than that other kind of pain. It was like someone was stabbing my ankle with a knife!
    Anyway, during that time, I kind of made peace with my height and didn't feel like compensating it anymore. Now I only wear heels on special occassions.

• @bubble_tea , sprint really? Do you mind giving a girl pointers on wearing and running in these heels?

• @luvstoned4him Whoever told you heels first is right. I just think in order to stop walking "heavy" in heels, first you need to be able to walk on the ball of your foot first. And then learn to walk so that the heel and ball of the shoe touch the floor simultaneously.. and after that you can learn to do a heel strike first. I think that's what I did first, because my heel kept wobbling around and I felt like I had no support at all in the heeled sandals I bought. Every step felt like my ankle could give in any second.. If you can already do that, you can just jump to step 3.
      If you want to run, you have to do toe strike first though.

• @bubble_tea ok thanks soo much. I will try it

• I like wearing heels

• They're so pretty... in other women's feet!
    Actually I think that, depending on the shape of your feet, heels can be more or less confortable.
    Since, unfortunately, I tend to bloat like a ballon during the day, and have this duck shaped feet, heels weren't meant for me... :(

• I love wearing heels, I feel way more feminine and I never wear flat shoes in general I always wear ankle boots etc. Plus I'm short and I look taller and also skinnier :) I don't mind the pain and I don't feel it anymore because my feet are used to it now

• So how come the majority of guys who have commented so far on this DON'T like high heels?

• I enjoy wearing them as part of the overall outfit and the sense of occasion but not the blisters and saw ankles! I tend to wear flat shoes (or wedges if I want a bit of lift)

• I don't like wearing high heels. I generally wear shoes that are higher than flat ones, but not really high. Only from time to time I wear wedge sandles, but not extremely high.

I see some women wearing ridiculously high heels and suffering to walk everyday. I know some girls at work who never ever wear anything but very high heels, because they have an issue with self- confidence. Yes: they are trying to hide their height. But this is funny because everyone can tell they are short.

There is also another thing. I know that many men don't like high heels. And it's gone scientific too, because a study mentioned on BBC confirms that men don't care about high heels and can still see how short women wearing them are.

• I don't like wearing them, I can't walk properly in them and I've been told numerical professionals that I should never ever wear them again after my ankle injuries. That said I own a few pairs, one of which I do on occasion wear. The others are just pretty and a reminder that I can't ever wear pretty shoes again.

I'm not sure how much I believe the science behind this, I mean this doesn't sound scientific, it sounds like a bunch of creeps in lab suits:

"Specifically, in judging women’s gaits, men evaluated those wearing high heels to be more feminine and physically attractive than their counterparts walking in loafers."

How does one scientifically gauge such things? Being more feminine? The idea that this is being measured makes me doubt the entire study besides the mathematical facts of elevation.

• Yeah, I agree! Being more or less feminine (conversely, masculine) is a rather subjective thing that changes with cultural and social influences.

• @SpecJack exactly, plus you know... they're from a part of the world where mutilating women's feet was seen as beautiful. Admittedly more prevalent in China but there is a culture of female suffering=beauty.

• hate walking in them but love the way i look while wearing them

• More from Girls
    22

What Guys Said 38

• I really dont know, they just are. Bc they are feminine I guess. And their toned legs POP with heels.

• Ohh some Louboutins Das hot

• Mainly cause it makes their butt look more formed and tight

• If a woman is wearing heels, it's the first thing I notice. I love it when they wear heels, and envy the guy who is lucky enough to have such a woman! Also, I'm always happy to give much needed/deserved foot rubs throughout the course of the day; I figure it's the least I can do for her!

• I get the scientific part, but I know women can be uncomfortable in them. I like flats, boots or sneakers better.

• damn that 1st pic gave me the biggest boner

• I always think high heels look silly, not sexy.

• 5 inch heels should be mandatory for a slim attractive young womsn

• I love a woman in heels. They look so much more sexier than they do in flats! Especially when it comes to working/business women.

• IT gives woman a sharp tender and sexy look accordimg to me

• High hills are not sexy but I don't know why but its a fact that sexy ladies prefer high hills

• I hate high heels. They are not sexy, they are just slutty. They are really unattractive and when I see a woman in high heels I just think she's trying to look easy to get laid

• yeah but they must do a number on your feet right? : O

• I think the real question is why the hell would I care.

• I don't find heels sexy at all, but more power to those who do.

• The data doesn't explain why I like heels: foot fetish.

• Makes her ass more perky ;P

• I actually think fat heels look much cuter than thin ones.

• @Anonymous Chunky heels are the bomb especially where at woman has big calves

• @luvstoned4him hellz yeah

• I like when they wear them because they make them taller than me with them, but shorter than me without. SO FREAKING SEXY

• I just don't see how they're considered attractive to guys oh well it will be forever a mystery

• More from Guys
    18