Work It Girl: Little Black Dress

LBD: Little Black Dress: Perfection.

I could write a whole entire take on my love of LBD's (in fact, I'm writing it right now). These dresses have withstood the fashion trends of time because they are classic, universally flattering, and versatile. There are few women I know who dread shopping for a black dress. In fact, when you hear the dress code is black, usually you take a deep sigh of relief because a) you already own something little, and black, and that's a dress b)you won't have to worry about spilling anything on it and having it be glaringly obvious and c)you know you can find a black dress that will make you look good no matter how fashion challenged you are. Okay, so maybe you are a little fashion challenged and you can't think what to do to make a LBD more than what it appears to be on the hanger.

Work It Girl: Little Black Dress

1. THE DAY DRESS

Pair your LBD with your casual wardrobe creature comforts. A pair of brightly colored flats or your favorite tennis shoe, a slouchy cardigan, a creative floral print cover up, or your favorite eye catching winter scarf. Don't simply put black on black, infuse color, get creative with your accessories, and run to the super market or library or to pick up the kids knowing you don't look like you just came from the office or cocktails.

2. THE WORK DRESS

Just because you're at work, doesn't mean you have to wear a boring suit or something up to your neck. You can still be more conservative, but still look a bit flirty or creative. Pair your LBD with a lady like jacket or classic trench, a sleek tote bag, a closed toe heel or flat, a colorful cardigan, or add tights and bolero. Look for jackets with creative ruffles or bows or stripes because of the plane nature of your LBD underneath, you can use your accesories to add drama, texture, or color to your work wardrobe without going too over the top in the office.

3. THE AFTER HOURS DRESS

Going on a date, out for cocktails, need to dress to impress in a hurry from work...the LBD should be your go to for sure. Marry your LBD with flashy jewlry, sexy leather, your highest sky scraping heels or thigh high boots, reveal the dresses cut out back, lacy details, or lower cut v-neck you've had under a jacket all day. For a bit of subtle sexiness, try simply wearing your LBD with Cuban or Havanna stockings with the back seam running all the way up the back of your legs. If coming from work, let your hair down (or put it up), tease it up, let it spring up and out.

12
BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 3

• Love the LBD, they can be sexy yet confident

• I have always been a big fan of the LBD with as little frills as possible a la dress 2 and 5 of day dress, dress 2 and 3 of work dress, dress 5 and 6 (with different footwear, boots too much for me) of the after hours dresses.

• cool?

What Girls Said 12

• Hell yeah. Black never gets old.

When they find a darker color, I suppose I'll start wearing that instead.

• Yes I love the LBD and wearing all black. I look badass and the only negative is that everyone knows I love powdered donuts.

• Love this! So excited to see a new fashion take on GAG :) Definitely want a new LBD after this one!

• love the workdress with the sheer upper bodice would look perfect with a calfskin matrasse and louboutin's

• The last four pictures.. They seem to be wearing it for funerals or escorting (or for any sexual means)

• I would hardly wear the last four looks to a funeral, but they are meant to be sexier because the look is after work, on your free time, letting loose, and having fun. The women are all actually fully covered up, so what you're probably seeing is more in your imagination.

• well, hopefully if you like LBD's, you can find something you like for you in the many photo examples. Not everyone can or wants to be so bold understandably.

• I was specifically referring to wearing the black dress only 😀.. It just smells of tragedy to me cos they wear black for everything to go with it including black hair. It dulls my sight.

• The right LBD can be perfect for any occasion ❤️

• Love this take. And love love loveeee a little black dress!! :) couldn't agree more with it.

• I prefer black sneaker, sweatpants

• I love black as well.. in fact I am wearing one in my profile pic.. lol..

• I have couple black dresses. Black is a nice color that does well with any color.

• perfect take, i love LBDs and own a ton. my favorite one is backless

• A great take. I wear black once in a while, although I am not sure it really "sells" me. However , I pair it with reds, golds and whites. Its special in its own way and goes well with any color. Perhaps, you could do a little red or white dress take. Would be fascinating.