Why I Don't Wear Makeup

I know what you thought when you read the title. This girl is crazy! She doesn't wear makeup? I mean, she should at least wear it sometimes, right? She has to. She's batshit crazy-

I’ve never been big on makeup. It just isn’t something I’ve really taken interest in. My friends starting wearing it when I was in middle school, It went from a little lip gloss to a full on picasso of eyeliner, mascara, and foundation when I hit my freshman year of highschool. Honestly it was like these kids were going to walk down the Victoria's Secret runway at 5th period!

The only time I’ve really done myself up in makeup was for my Homecoming Dance. I spent an hour in the mirror trying to create the perfect the perfect cat eye, and to just simply do myself up as much as possible. My makeup ended up running down my face from sweating so much from dancing!

From that time, I really didn’t care about makeup, but one thing I really liked was nail polish, so I spent a little money on buying different colors of that rather than trying to expand my makeup collection from the cheap mascara and eyeliner I owned. I even did my own nails for my school dance! I mean, sometimes I would apply a little of that for special occasions, but other than that, makeup has been a rather “meh” experience for me.

One of the reasons for writing this was remembering getting asked by friends on why I choose not to wear it. A lot of my friends would raise an eyebrow at the fact that I don’t wear the stuff, and it’s definitely not being grossed out by girly things at all. In fact I don’t have a problem with any of the girls in my life who decide to wear it because people wear it for all types of reasons, whether it be insecurities or just because they feel like looking nice for the day. I just don’t feel the need to because when I look in the mirror, I think I look fine as is. Not a problem. I don’t care about how I look...well I do care, it’s just the fact that I rather buy cute clothes with my money rather than tons of makeup.

To all the ladies who love wearing makeup: No disrespect to you. I don’t hate makeup or hate the fact that you wear it. There are plenty of reasons to love makeup. As long as you love the way you look with and without it, we're good.These are just some of the reasons why I am not to fond of wearing it on a daily basis.

Time-consuming...

Do you realize how much time girls spend putting on makeup? It can be anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. You could be spending that time doing so much more than just applying makeup, really. I just don’t have the patience to sit in front of my mirror making sure my makeup is on fleek every single day.

While girls get up about an hour early for school to apply makeup, I’m still comfy and snug in my bed, fast asleep. That’s one less thing I have to do in the morning.

It costs A LOT of money.

I don’t know if you have noticed already, but makeup, more specifically, high quality makeup, is ridiculously expensive. A tube of high quality mascara can cost upwards of 30 dollars a bottle. I am a broke student as it is, and I don’t have the money to spend on building up a makeup collection. I much rather spend the money on something else, like maybe those high-quality colored pencils I’ve been wanting.

Oh goodness, I’m so hypocritical aren’t I? Makeup is an art form too, except your face is the canvas.

Some makeup is tested on animals.

Some big makeup companies, like MAC, test their products on animals. That is not something I want to support by giving my money to these companies. I know there are cruelty-free brands, but it's still sad to think about.

It's really disheartening how some poor animal had to get it's body caked in makeup so that you can have your desire of looking beautiful fullfilled.

I love being able to sleep without having to remember to take off my makeup at night.

Let’s face it, I am really lazy, and one thing about applying makeup is that at the end of the day, you have to take all of that stuff off. Your masterpiece is ruined, not to mention that it can riddle your face with pimples and bad acne. You have to get a good makeup remover and facial cleanser to remove it all, and frankly that is so tedious to me. I rather just take a shower, wash my face, brush my teeth and go to bed, without the hassle of removing my lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, blush, etc. #lazylife

I don’t have to worry about it rubbing off.

So you go to a sad movie with your friends, and pretty soon you find yourself crying. The lights come on and your friends look over to see that you have panda eyes! Your mascara is bleeding all over your face.

Well, ya don’t have that problem when you don’t even bother to put makeup on. You can even rub your itchy eyes without getting mascara all over your hands!

I don’t want to mess up my skin.

My skin clear and smooth after I cleared up my diet and started drinking tons of water, and wearing makeup too often can irritate it, causing pimples and even bad acne. Yeah, I know that if you clean your makeup off everyday thoroughly, you won't have this problem, but this goes back to point number 1: I'm just TOO LAZY! I just don’t feel the need to cake my face with concealer and blush when my skin is already perfectly fine on it’s own if you know what I mean. I spent all that time clearing up my skin just to cover it up again? Makes no sense.

There's just no pleasing people.

I already have an amazing boyfriend, but there's always those people out there who criticize you no matter what.

If you wear makeup, you're "fake" and "a bitch". If you don't wear it, you're not pretty enough. Why would you get with someone who loves you one minute, and as soon as you wash off your makeup, he's not attracted to you anymore or doesn't even recognize you? There's no point in even attempting to please people like that. You should always go for people who express unconditional love for the person they are with. With or without makeup, they still should love YOU for you.

So there you have it. These are seven reasons why I don’t wear makeup on a daily basis. I mean, I will put on eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick for special occasions, but it’s not an everyday thing for me. Thanks for reading. :)

And remember, the next time you apply your makeup, think about who you're doing it for. Are you doing it for you or for someone else?

Girls, do you wear makeup? If so, how often?

(I was hesitant to post this myTake due to the fact that people may get offended, but then I was like "f it". I apologize if you do get offended because that was not my intention at all and this is simply my personal opinion on why I am not fond of wearing makeup all the time.)

#Makeup #MyPersonalOpinion

RainbowFanGirl is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 17

What Girls Said 25

nice points!!!
    i wear little makeup to no makeup too... and i stick to drugstore makeup... just affordable ones

Oh, definitely - there's no pleasing people today.
    Makeup can be really expensive and it can be time consuming. All draw backs.

For me, makeup is also fun and expressive and I love to use it in different ways... =) But I'm not sure I ever met any woman who wears makeup constantly. That seems like a huge burden overall.

Yeah. :) I will wear cheap eyeliner or something every once in a while but not every day haha.

Awesome take, and you've made some very good points! These are pretty much the reasons why I don't like to wear much either, apart from parties or big events.
    I do know that e. l. f. is a cheap, good quality and cruelty free brand though, so I tend to try and buy that brand.

e. l. f. is a cruelty free, high quality and inexpensive makeup brand. :) So if you ever do decide to put on a little bit of makeup, go with e. l. f.
    And I'd have to disagree about it being annoying to wash off in the evening. Like you should be washing your face every evening anyway. I just use this cleansing foam by Lumene, rub it all over my face and wash it off. It gets pretty much everything off. And then I add a moisturizer and go to bed. :P It takes like 2 minutes tops, and it's a part of my skincare routine anyway. Which, by the way, if you have a good skincare routine, makeup won't make your skin break out.

Yes I said in the take that I knew all of this. It's just that it's time-consuming and I'm lazy tbh

I am trying to cut down on my makeup usage. Except lipstick I will never not wear lipstick. I am trying to find a good skin habits so I can go without makeup. Good my take all very good reasons.

I'm kinda the same way. I don't ever wear makeup unless it's for a REALLY special occasion. And even then, it's usually just to cover things up. But it's usually just too much work. Good take!

I love make-up and I understand those that don't. For me its just fun and thats why I wear it. Not for society or other people or to find a boyfriend. But for me!

That's what you're supposed to do. Wear it for nobody for yourself and if they don't like it that's their problem.

yeah its a way I love myself or how i comfort myself when going to work.

Fabulous! As an avid makeup addict i would never judge anyone for wearing makeup or not! Life is too short! You do you girl.

Good reasons, that's why I never liked most of the makeup too, very good myTake :)

I like make up because I feel pretty but I don't wear it often.

I never wear it either. It's for most of the reasons you listed, but also because I'm not attractive. I know people will find that weird. If I'm not attractive, shouldn't I try to improve my looks with makeup? The thing is, I don't want to wear a face full of makeup for a guy to like me, only to be disappointed when it comes off. I'd have to basically wear it 24/7 to look good to him, and that's not possible. As much as being unattractive sucks, I'd rather just let people see how I truly look so they aren't disappointed later. Some people can be mean too. I've seen it with celebrities. "Oh you think she's pretty? Well Google her without makeup. She is actually ugly." Of course I'm not well known but I don't want people saying: "Have you actually seen her without makeup? Why do you think she wears it? She's so ugly." I might as well just give them the natural look to talk about.

I am a girl who absolutely ADORES makeup but I totally respect your decision not to. I agree with a couple of your points especially the animal testing one, as I do not purchase any makeup from brands who test their products on animals or who sell in China. However, about the time consuming point, putting on my makeup in the morning is 100% my favourite part of my morning routine! It never feels like a chore or something that I have to do but more of something that I want to do and love to do! As i said before I completely respect you for not wearing makeup and also for not putting down girls who decide they want to wear it. To each their own :P

I don't wear make up.
    Haven't since my Junior year of highschool and the only make up I've ever worn was eyeliner.
    Nobody has ever questioned why I don't wear make-up or raised any eyebrows at me though, lol.
    If I ever start wearing it again then it'd just be eyeliner like I used to.
    I'm lazy, uninterested, and don't think I need it.
    Meh.

I've never really wore it. 😅

Family tried to get me into it in middle school but I didn't like the way it felt, that stuck. Wore it once after that for a dance/senior pictures but that's it, I was paranoid I was gonna mess it up lol.

I don't wear makeup for the same reasons, and because im not allowed to. Plus, i don think I would look good with it.

Im not into wearing much makeup either unlike almost all the girls in school. I only line my eyebrows to make it look thicker and only a few people notice it. But still i have to wash my face before i go to bed bc i just have to wash the dirt away. It's something necessary to do.

Yeaa cool
    I only wear makeup on pics and no you're not stupid you do the right thing

I think Fathoms77 suggests that older women use make-up to cover up blemishes. However, that implies that older women still want to look attractive or alluring. Some older women are already happy with their spouses and children. And some women prefer the natural process of aging; it's a fact of life. Some older women may age very slowly, so they don't appear "old" even 25 years past their twenties. They may be close to 50, but still appear like they are in reproductive age due to lack of overt wrinkles and dyed hair that matches their natural color.

Great take! Personally, I only wear mascara and maybe a little pink lipgloss... but no foundation/blush/eyeliner... I do not like heavy make up, and if girls want good skin, there are many better ways than make up! (diet, exercise, moisturiser, acne medication).

Rainbow! Nice take! :) I think its good that you don't wear make up and it should not be 'standard', or even different that you dont.
    As do for me I do wear make up, but never plain 'normal' make up like a plague. I just use tinted moisturizers with spfs and I wear them everyday, ecause it helps dry skin and looks flawless, and it isn;t cakey or powdery. once my scars have faded more and I've eaten better, more fruits and vegetables than I will not need any tinted cover up hopefully!

• More from Girls
    5