Ladies, Clean Up Your Make-Up!

Ladies, what is the point of going through all the trouble we take spending time carefully removing our make-up each night, and cleansing, and moisturizing, and otherwise taking care of our faces, if the next day, we're reaching into a dirty bag of make-up, using filthy brushes and sponges, and then smearing all of that stuff all over our faces, which leads to future break outs, eye issues, or infections...? Also you have to note that your make-up is like food stuffs; they don't last forever. You should not still be using a lipstick you've had since you were 14, and you're 21 now!

Spring Clean Your Make-up Bag/Box

It is a pain to dump everything out and clean, sure, but putting a dirty used brush or sponge or anything else in your make-up bag or box repeatedly is going to leave dirt and residue in that bag and when you do clean your brushes, etc., simply throwing them back into a dirty bag...well, you get the idea. Take everything out and clean the inside of your bag with an alcohol wipe and/or a make-up wipe. Make sure to really get out any visible streaks or marks or dirt in your bag.

Get Rid Of Old Make-up

As soon as you get some new make-up, get into the habit of putting the date on it somewhere in sharpie on the bottom so you know just how old something is or you can put an expiration date on it, so you know when it's time to toss it.

Disinfect, Disinfect, Disinfect!

Put some Isopropyl alcohol in a small spray bottle and lightly spritz your eye shadows, blushes, and compact powders once a week. Put some on a cotton ball or swab and go over all of your metal tools making sure to get into all the corners and things where gunk can build up.

Use a cosmetic sanitizing wipe to gently wipe over your lipsticks. You can also stick them in the freezer overnight to kill bacteria.

Give your sponges a bath in some liquid soap and water. Let them sit for about ten minutes, and then work into them until the original color is what you see.

Use a ridged brush cleaner or the palm of your hand to get brushes clean. If using your hand, put some soap in your palm (baby shampoo, mild dish soap) and turn on the water and work your brushes into a lather swirling the brush round your palm to get as much make-up out as possible. For the brush cleaner, you'll do the same except instead of your palm run the brush back and forth and around the ridged surface to really get out the dirt and make-up trapped in the center of your brushes. If you're doing the palm method, you can use anything with a smooth ridged surface to really grate your brushes against to get out that trapped in make-up. You may want to consider choosing brushes that aren't all black, so it is easier to see when your brushes are dirty/clean. Tip your brushes, brush side down to try so water won't get into the brush handle.

When You're Sick

It's a good idea to ditch your lipsticks or anything you use on your eyes or mouth when you're sick just as a precaution. Often, if these things aren't cleaned, you throw them back in your bag, use them later, and can actually make yourself sick again by using them after you're well again.

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

Hey, you know all that make-up is what damages your skin and makes you have wrinkles, right? The more you use it, the more you need it. Most men actually prefer the natural look, but women just refuse to believe they aren't hideous without it. The whole industry is built around shaming you into using their products, and the more you use, the more you need to keep using it, because it eats your face. That's why men keep their looks so much longer and all women start to lose theirs by their 30's. Men don't wear make-up. It's not normal to be wrinkly at 30. That's damage.

Wait, mascara goes off after two or three months? Dang, I've been using the same on for like two years. XD

I've used make-up once... never again... (It was for a school play)

That makes a whole lot of sense for make up users

Freezing items, including food, doesn't kill bacteria. It just makes them inactive until you take them out and they warm back up. That's why you still have to cook frozen foods to the correct temperature to kill any bacteria.

Ok excuse me for just skimming, but I am a guy and completely agree with women getting rid of some makeup. Definitely when it takes up half of the bathroom lol.

What Girls Said 9

good take! its the reason why i don't buy or use too much makeup (only lipstick tho <3 :* cause it lasts up to 2 years) but yea i clean my face powder brush/eyeshadow brush/blush brush once a week with some baby shampoo and water

I think baby shampoo is the best to use, very gentle

agreed!!! i either use it or shower gel for sensitive skin

I buy new makeup all the time so I guess it's no big deal. I don't clean my stuff as often as I should but I'm not worried. Gross I know. But I'm gross. I just use stuff until it's gone.

What if you have mascara that's a few years old that you've never opened?

Mascara unopened and unused has a sitting shelf life of about a year.

Its only when it is introduced to the bacteria from your eyelashes or face that makeup starts going bad. Really old makeup that hasn't been opened at worst will just have a weird textire or have separated

@niahc Ok, that's what I originally thought. Thanks for the info!

Well, looks like I am all good.
    None of my make up is old. 😊
    Well done! 👏

Nice article! However, you can't get sick with the same virus twice. So you can't get sick again when you use the same lipstick you used when you were sick. But if a friend borrows it, she 'll get sick.

Apart from bar soap, shower gel and nail file I don't have any of this stuff lol.

My body lotion is coconut oil, honey for the face wash and jojoba oil for my face cream. Chemical free and natural :)

I'm so bad at washing my brushes :c

If you take good product they last longer.

Ew, who replaces bar soap yearly? Bar soap should be replaced every 2 weeks since it sits on peoples bathroom and I don't know about you but i wouldn't like to use the same bar soap for a whole year. Also loofahs /sponges should be replaced once a week. Those things really get nasty if you leave them in your bathroom and never replace them. But, yeah good take! I think some women forget this and then complain about how they get break outs or eye infections!