The Age Old Fashion - 3 Pieces That Scream Class

Although we all know that wearing a crinoline, for example, isn't exactly considered regular or even irregular [because literally no one wears them anymore], we still admire it.

A good piece of fashion lives on. May not be in the real world, we may not see it on the streets of our cities, nor on the fashion magazine covers anymore, but it still remains as inspiration to many-a-designers that swear by the fashion of the 19th, 18th, 17th or any other century before the present.

Modernizing things is what people constantly do. Making it more wearable, more casual, more practical, more "with the times", as you'd say.

Yes, a modernization of the past is necessary for development, and fashion is no different.

Although I admire immensely those velvet poofy coats, that top-hat, those beautiful Victorian boots that lace up at the front - we have to admit > today's fashion doesn't tolerate time consuming, heavy, complicated pieces of clothing, because, frankly, no one has the time for those impracticalities.

These are a few modern day variations on the styles we all know scream class, but are still practical enough to live with us in our time and make our days and out lives a bit more magical with each wear:

The Velvet Coat

The velvet coat is a staple, a true classic in every sense of the word. Some people think of Baroque and Victorian eras when conjuring up the image of a velvet coat, but it doesn't have to be that way. The classic velvet coat was long, usually up to the knees or to the ankles. Women's coats would even drag on the floor covering their lavish dresses. Those were truly times of luxury versus misery.

The coats were made out of heavy velvet hence they were warm, but also impractically burdensome on the bodies of their wearers.

Today we can find different styles, lengths, patterns - from blazers to ankle length coats. Although, unfortunately, the world doesn't seem to think its missing more velvet clothing...it truly is.

The Lace Gown

As simple as it may sound, lace gowns were always one of the most expensive ones - lace was sown in by hand - a very tough, detailed and time consuming endeavor. If you know anything about fashion it is that the best pieces take the most time to produce. The intricate work that took up most of the tailor's time would result in an amazing display of patterns and free-falling subtly see-through fabric which would then be added onto another layer, and another...and so on. Usually the fabric wasn't only lace - because of the time and money - the bases were made out of more solid materials.

Today, when we think of a lace gown, usually the lace is all that there is. Modern to show off some skin, minimalistic in it's complicated nature - contrast in it's most modern form.

The Corset Top

The corset was used as an undergarment peace that would slim the woman's figure and give her a more accentuated hourglass shape.

Nowadays it's worn as a top or as lingerie. Admittedly, of different look and function, depending on what the person is looking for, the corset nowadays is mostly figurative, designed to be worn as decoration rather than to serve a function.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

P.S. Fashion shows are a whole other ball game - impracticality is what makes some of the best designers, but it's also what makes the least wearable outfits.

We'll talk about it in the next MyTake!

LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

Back then they had better fashion taste than we do today. I love it when women have old fashioned tastes in fashion (unless it's like what the hippies wore in like the cold war era).

Yeah classic fashion is loads better, in is so many way, don't like the way the woman is wearing the corset though, it's not meant to be a top it was meant to help women fit into dresses better and was worn under the clothing much like a bra.

So you haven't read anything I wrote here... Hahaha

If you did... you wouldnt've written exactly what I wrote and then say it like it's being said on here for the first time.

You
      Nowadays it's worn as a top or as lingerie

Me
      don't like the way the woman is wearing the corset though,

Think whatever you'd like but I read it ^^ whether you think so or not makes absolutely no difference to me.

Mm corset top (that doesn't constrict a woman).

Great take - I really enjoyed it and good call - Those 3 do seem to be ever present in each new fashion era - I love the look of all three in their modern styles

Looking really adorable just remind me about cindrella

What Girls Said 7

very classy take

• 4d

├╝Good post

I love all of this too. Thank you for writing this♡♡♡♡♡

I have at least a couple dozen crinolines and have dresses or skirts I wear them with. I have several velvet coats. I have at least a dozen lace gowns which I wear anywhere from several times a year to several times a month and I have 7 corsets, 5 under bust and 2 over bust. I wear them frequently too.

If I could travel back in time I would definitely go to the Victorian era. I love the clothes from the Victorian era and would feel quite comfortable wearing them.

Love the dresses and suits they use to wear back then! <3 If I had to go back in time it would probably be then, so elegant and classy

I own a velvet coat, from my mother! And real lacy fabric is still done by hand, I own such a blouse made out of one of my grandmother's dresses! Corsets are pretty to look at, but very stiff to wear. I prefer to feel good in my clothes

Great MyTake-love the corset and lace. The velvet coat is very pretty in the more modern style, you could really wear it and look cool. The paintings are so pretty