The Beauty Scale: 5 is Average and We Should Own It

When I see pictures on the internet about rating people, I see lots of 10/10, 7-8 comments to an obviously average person. Yes, no one likes being called "average" but, shouldn't people know the truth? Isn't that why we're asking, to find out the truth?

On a 1-10 scale, 5 is in the middle, hence, average. Assuming the shape is Bell curved, this means the majority of the world are 5s, and subsequently, slightly less people are 4/6, then even less are 3/7, and so on.

Most of the time, I view myself as a 5: average, and I view most others as 5s as well. I'm pretty realistic. Once in a while, I'll run into a 6, whom I might date, and I'll see 7/8s in magazines and TV. It's well known that the majority of people walking around our neighborhoods, cities, schools, and work is average, a 5, hence why it's called average.

So, by commenting, "You're hot! 10/10" to an average person over and over again to a bunch of average pictures gives people a false sense of how attractive they feel. It's like giving participation trophies or points just for showing up. Yeah, it's nice but, it alters society's sense of what is real in the long run and over generations, giving each generation after us a sense of entitlement because they're hot when they actually or not, or thinking that they're smarter than everyone else because they've been told they are. Whatever your mom told you growing up: that you're the strongest, fastest, nicest, smartest, most good looking person in the world isn't true; and the rest of the world doesn't share the same opinion, unfortunately.

I'm not here to bring people down, I'm here to open your eyes to reality. By realizing that most of us are average, we can then realize that we're all in the same boat. We don't have to be intimidated by each other or think that we don't have as much to offer than someone else. We can socialize without the confidence issues because everyone else is struggling with the same thing.

So, who cares if you're a 5, 5 is average. There's a whole lot of us out there and we should own it.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

I own how I'm a 8/10. I've accepted that I don't look any better than that.

Yes. Own what you are and don't have such a flimsy self-image. :)

• 25d

I agree that most people are average but it makes sense that some people people may have trouble accepting that. I think most people would like to be above average looking, especially when you consider how much of an advantage people in the 7-10 range have in most aspects of their lives.

• 25d

Fuck me, someone gets what the word average means!!!

That chart should be required reading in here.

Can't tell to much with that filter your using but with out it i think you would be a 7

I never believed totally in having a beauty scale because everyone has different values for numbers - I prefer to just say what I think of how well a person looks like saying "You are pretty" "You are very attractive" "You are very handsome" or "You are gorgeous"

Hence me just saying "thank you" and going about my business when someone says I'm handsome / cute / attractive.

Though it could be because in the past I had a lower self esteem than I do now (still working on it TBH).

Here's the logic. 5, by definition, is average by not ugly/not pretty. But most guys would say that the vast majority of girls (upwards of 75%) are 7s, so most would say 7 is average. 5 is average looks, 7 is average relative to other women

I love how I'm not plain and average looking like the rest of the population. I'm so proud to be a 10/10.

Most of the times for good looking girls I give an average of 7-8. Giving 5 is very rare. I consider them to be ugly or below average to give 4 or 5.

What Girls Said 5

• 5d

good takee

It is all subjective though. It is based on opinion. Someone is always going to be attractive to someone and ugly to someone else. None of it matters lol

but my momma said I am special :/
    anw yea I fully agree with you

I think many people rate using an academic scale where 7/10 = 70% or a "C" which is average, 5/10 being an "F" and so on. Hence, higher ratings for average people.

Average has always been my belief also.