How to Create An Easy To Wear Capsule Wardrobe for Guys and Girls

Are you lazy? Are you pressed for time in the mornings? Do you have trouble putting outfits together? Are you on a budget? Are you indecisive? Well, a capsule wardrobe may be just the thing you need to help simplify the daily task of picking an outfit and getting out the door on time!

If you ever had the fortune or in many cases, misfortune, of having to wear a school uniform, you pretty much know what the far less fun version of a capsule wardrobe is. A capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces. So if you wore a uniform, you had perhaps the five colored shirts, that went with the skirts, pants, and shorts, and dresses, which went with the jacket or sweater or other pieces that made it possible for you to get dressed without having to match things up or spend a lot of money.

Well, throw that uniform aside and opt for the adult version of a capsule wardrobe which relies on the same concept, except you are of course picking your go-to pieces. Just like the uniform of yesteryear, the idea is to save you both time in money. Here's how (see men's examples at bottom).

Step 1:

Go into your current wardrobe and pick out standard pieces like jackets, pants, shorts, blouses, accessories, etc. in neutral colors...your blacks, whites, greys, khakis, navy's, and jeans. These items will literally, as you know, go with just about everything.

Step 2:

Pick a few pop colors that work well with each other (see pic below for examples of great color combos). You don't want to shy away from prints, but you don't want so many different prints/patterns that they defeat the purpose of things being able to easily combine with everything else in your wardrobe.

If you don't already have them, purchase a few pop color items in skirts, leggings, shoes, tops, scarfs, etc. in your combo colors. For example, you would purchase tops, accessories, a few bottoms all in your pop colors like a coral and a teal color. The idea is to stick to a few pop colors which you will then change as the season changes, or your mood changes, or both.

Step 3:

Begin composing a capsule wardrobe. Combine your neutral items, with your pop color items for a wardrobe where it won't matter what pant/shirt combo, or dress/scarf/hat combo, or jacket/jean/blouse combo you pick, everything will automatically match.

Since it's much easier to see than to explain, here are some great examples of only using a few neutral pieces, a few pop colors, and getting easy to match and put together outfits for any occasion. It really lets you see how few items you really need per season, to look put together and fashionable. It is also great for going on vacation and not having to pack a lot of extra. And again, when you tire of the color combo, just find another few new coordinating pop colors to either mix in or start over with.

Example 1:

Example 2

Example 3:

Example 4:

Example 5:

Example 6

And for the Guys...

Example 1:

Example 2:

Example 3:

Example 4:

Example 5:

Example 6:

BeeNee is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 3

• 5d

Wow thats cool. Il defitatly will be using this idea since i need a new wardrobe.

• 7d

I don't want a degree in wardrobes. I'm not smart enough for rocket science.

• 7d

Ha, well, this is the point of this lesson above. You don't need a whole bunch of clothes or to spend a ton of money to look good. You need a few basics for a capsule wardrobe, a few color pieces, and you can easily mix and match without having to try to coordinate, or spend a lot of money on a big wardrobe.

• 7d

There is terminology everywhere for everything... including fuel injectors. You say that word to someone who doesn't understand what that is and you would have to break down and explain at base for them what it does. Same with the capsule wardrobe. I think you want to make it harder than it is in your mind, but it's really not that hard of a thing to understand. Just ask anyone who knows what a fuel injector is... they'd say the same :)

• 7d

Okay, fair enough. I will begin studying. Thank ya.

• 7d

good share

What Girls Said 7

• 3d

Honestly, 99% of men have "capsule wardrobes" just by default.
    Unless a dude has a really outside-the-box sense of style, there are only so many different kinds of things he's going to wear. And probably not even in very many colors, either.

Boy fashion is so... limited.
    And limiting.

__

Nice piece tho!

As @luci92 said... I hope you're deriving some sort of profit from this kind of writing 😳

• 2d

It's funny you should mention boy fashion because I was thinking the same exact thing about the limitations. Even if the typical guy wanted to have this extravagant wardrobe with color and texture and, well, some sort of noticeable style, there are, as I have found, always just three schools of thought on the male brain. 1) They think/will/are labeled as gay 2) they say they are too lazy too try 3) or the resort to the whole, "guys don't care about fashion" attitude.

So unless we trot on back to the 70's where things go real, real, real interesting for men's fashion, every year, every decade, it will be the same with little to know deviation, and since they are already generally limited or limiting themselves to shorts/pants/shirts combos, nothing will ever change. So in conclusion, girls rule, lol.

• 5d

Oh my god, this is so thorough... you could write for places better than G@G, you know.
    But great take!

• 1d

Good take.
    Though, not gonna lie - this was terrifying to look at. I think I stomach linear algebra better than I do fashion.

• 1d

I really want to shave down my wardrobe. It's so hard to get rid of old pieces you think you'll need :/ Any tips to make that final let go?

• 1d

Actually yes!
      1. Completely empty the closet. Set up three boxes: toss, donate, keep.
      1. Go through your closet with a friend or family member. They are not attached to your clothing so letting go of it for you, for them is easy. You just tell them what goes in which pile and they are not allowed to let you pick it back up.
      2. Anything that is in your closet that is still there 3 months later with the tag still on that isn't seasonal, toss it. You're never going to wear it. Also toss things with obvious rips, stains, other wear that cannot be fixed, or you have no intention of ever fixing it.
      3. Once you put an item in a pile, it stays there. And once you have a donate/toss pile all done, right then and there, take the items to be donated and tossed out of your house and to where they need to go so there is no going back later and sorting and picking up and putting back into your closet. If you can't bring yourself to do it, have your friend/fam do it for you.

• 1d

Thank you :) I made a few donate bags and bags to stay and bags to sell. I recently got even more pieces (bad idea) but they're nicer quality, and all the old stuff is stuff I've had for years. Also, I have a lot of clothes, several large trash bags full of clothes. So, it makes it daunting. But slowwwwly, it's coming together.

• 4d

why would someone have a capsule wardrobe it's so boring plus if you want a boyfriend / girlfriend you can't

• 5d

cool

• 7d

perfect take