Cindy Crawford: Untouched by Mortality?

By now you have probably seen the untouched and unphotoshopped photo of Cindy Crawford that is shooting around online. In it, you’ll see the famous beauty in all her raw and natural glory. It’s hard to resist staring non-stop at this diva, who in the mid 90’s made the moniker ’super model’ a pop culture revelation. She alongside the Lindas, Naomis and Christies of the time, embodied and shaped the role that modern media would play in creating today’s beauty standards. Now, 20 years later, at the peak of photographic digitalization, we the common people, have been liberated from the chains of magazine monopolies and can peer behind the veil and actually ’see’ how the divinities we worship are actually ageing.

Cindy Crawford: Untouched by Mortality?

Ageing.

Now that is a scary word for that industry, who lusts after the perfection of youth. But the wizard has been exposed, out behind from his curtain there is no going back. In this digital age, we are blessed, as we’re offered truths than can bring down icons. The implications are biblical in proportion. We no longer have to be slaves to the images of perfection which have plagued and haunted, chased and chastised us, for we now have access to what’s ’real’.

We ’know’ intellectually that the photos are altered to such a degree that they barely resemble the original shot. We ’know’ that blemishes and wrinkles, disfigurements or blotches are all smoothed out with the magical wand that erases everything that is truly human. Yet, we continue to consume them, with a voraciousness that the industry cannot keep up with.

As with the Greek gods, we humans are obsessed with their escapades and triumphs, but more riveted by their falls and defeats. We simply cannot look away. Why? Because we are transfixed by our own mortality.

Those perfect images we see of the beautiful and perfect, the eternally young, are addictive because we search those bodies and faces for a trace of humanity, for the stink of death. The very thing that terrifies us and spellbinds us in an instant, is that unrelenting fear caused by having one day to face our own mortalities.

When images are that perfect, they are almost divine because they show no sign of aging, of dying or waning. They are supra-human images of our perfect selves, not only of how we’d like to be, but of how we might defeat our deaths. It’s only for a moment, but that suspension of belief allows us to taste immortality. Simultaneously we are repulsed by that same perfection, we look to criticize it, to find imperfections, because the lack of them signifies something sinister. The impact is so visceral, so innate and so immediate that the love/hate, attraction/repulsion reaction to these images is as old as humanity itself.

Why does Cindy’s aging photo resonate with us so much? For the very fact that possibly as a society we have burned ourselves out and that the inundation of images of the perfect are now profane. And the quest for ’true’ or real images has begun to take place in our societies, in a way to make peace with our own eventual deaths.

Seeing her imperfect body, is like seeing the flaws in the divine. It’s liberating because we are no longer expecting ourselves as a society to live up to those impossible standards, and at the same time, it allows us to comes to terms with the fact that even deities can die.

Somehow, this appeases us and makes living, which is an imperfect process in itself, a little more bearable.

So bear it all Cindy! We are all watching.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 20

• People *like* that picture? She looks pretty terrible... a 50 year old woman is way past the time when she should be posting in that manner.

• She is still hot. She is also a very secured lady.

• I mean, she's also like 49 years old. I think she looks good

• For her age (whatever it is) she looks damn fine.

• If people age worse than this it'd be probably of not caring enough for their health. I'm typing this while eating ramen.

• thanks for take

• I'd still do her... Whatever, I don't care. haha!

• She looks old in that picture.

• There is something off putting about this picture; maybe her coat and black lingerie, if it were in other colours that had be great. Maybe thats what the message was all about anyway.

• I would still bang her... in the dark.

• Aging gracefully is an appealing quality, especially for women. I really like when they can age and be damn proud of it.

She is a living, breathing creature, and she sits at a particular juncture of her life in terms of her age and owns it. I love that.

• This type of stunt is probably made in honest, good intentions for people to feel 100% confident in themselves and whatnot, but what it actually does is enable people to avoid improving themselves and strive towards being their best selves.

How many women out there busting their ass taking care of themselves, eating healthy and working out trying to get their dream body, and then Cindy here drops this grotesque thing, receiving praise and validation from white-knighting, politically correct idiots, and make them fell like they don't need to be healthy and stay in shape? This type of thing is what enables people to be in their comfort zone and be complacent. This is the type of shit that makes marriages go sour. Why women get fat. Etc.

Sad,

• I was just going to say.. I know a lot of women who are older than Cindy Crawford why look FANTASTIC.

People need to understand that celebrities and models are not going to age well. They're lifstyles - traveling too much, too much make-up, hairstyling, etc., etc., etc., I work with models and our makeup artists are always putting all kinds of things on their skin. They don't really have time to work out.. they really don't age that well. So even seeing them without photoshop isn't really realistic either. Most of the women I know who are older look much better than lots of these older models. It'd be more accurate to use a regular woman in her 40's or 50's. Maybe one who eats healthy, exercises, and takes care of her skin.

• This is what late 40's women look like who DO bust their ass taking care of themselves.

Lol at people's reaction at seeing an average 48 year old.

• Yeahhhh except women in their early 40's, especially the hotties who take good care of themselves naturally, don' look like that at all.

I've seen some bangin' late 30's/40's MILFs' bodies in person, after children and all that, and they age very well mostly due to how they treat themselves (though they will never, ever be as hot as a prime hottie in ages 18 - 21). It just takes some a lot more to maintain, but it is 100% achievable.

• i dont care its Cindy Crawford!

celebrities should die young that way they will forever be remembered as beautiful and their legacy will live on, untouched by aging

Just look at Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, forever beautiful forever perfect... just a thought..

• No. They should have the chance to live and find fulfillment in life without something as superficial as beauty being paramount in their lives.

• it was just a thought... sheesh lol
      are you a celebrity =0 i didn't mean to offend you

celebrities as sacrifices, they sacrifice their lives to entertain us... they are easily replaceable as well (just another thought)

• I think she looks great still.

• She's been irrelevant for 10 years. This is probably just a cheap publicity stunt.

• It's good to see that we are moving past the age of perfection and endless youth. For a long time women have been judged a great deal by their looks in these regards, and now it's beginning to creep upon men as well. It's empowering to see bold women overcoming this for all. The best take I have seen thus far.

• She looks amazing. What more needs to be said? Oh yeah, she's courageous to do it. And fuck the medias insistance that the public can't handle this sort of "truth".

• She is middle sged. What more do people want?

• Lol i love her

• @BelgradeBeauty Props to Cindy for doing this. In her world I imagine it takes a lot of guts to do an unedited picture like this.

What Girls Said 18

• We need to see more celebrities that are not covered up by large amounts of make up and photo shopping.
    The flawless images of celebrities are representing what has never been real.
    If the world sees more images like themselves, only then will they start to embrace their imperfections and not live up to a false IMPOSSIBLE standard (of what is expected to be).
    The world is subconsciously being brainwashed by perfect looking people on commercials, ads, magazines, videos etc.
    There is no such thing as "perfect"
    I applaud Cindy for being real.

• She's really aged there... :P

• Well said! Couldn't agree more 👍

• she was used for sex and money. now it's time to die?

• she's still pretty

• She didn't want this photo released. It was leaked because she was a total bitch to the people who worked during the shoot and someone leaked it. She tried getting it pulled but it is now being turned into a "Wow she is so brave for releasing that." She IS NOT brave, she is a bitch and did not do anything "powerful" or intentional. I don't know why we are giving her a pat on the back

• If that's true, then this photo should be a good wake up call for her, to face her own mortality and understand that it's how you treat others that ennobles you. If she is a bitch, then Karma is a bigger bitch!

• how do you know that? please cite the source you read it

• I don't remember where the post I read was.
      But it only takes a second to find the many that talk about it not being her and that is was leaked via dubious means.
      http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31512922

• Good take...

• I think a woman who accepts her age is the most hottest woman no matter how old she is.
    She gave excellent shoots. She is still hot. Wrinkles, body imperfections are all right. She accepts herself. I find this so attractive.

• I think she's brave for doing this. I really wish more celebs and models would do the same.

• I payed attention to her face more than her body honestly
    Her face was always what was more looked at

• Cindy Crawford = still hot as hell

*burns finger* 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Nice myTake ☺️

• I'm all for women and people in general feeling empowered. Your post is also beautifully written. But you know this photo was taken in terrible lighting, right? I doubt she looks like this in person.

I work with models, and they're skin and everything looks great in person. I always get the photos before they're photoshopped and their skin looks horrible. The reason why we need to photoshop is because certain lights will make certain imperfections stand out.. imperfections you would never notice in person (and some that actually don't exist). I don't let the designers get too photoshop happy, we only remove things like bruises and scratches, and yes (god forbid) stretch marks and cellulite. The lighting is adjusted to get the clothing in as much detail as possible but unfortunately it also exposes and enhances imperfections. There are also some poses that are quite unflattering, especially ones such as this that twist the tummy and make it stick out. I bet she actually looks a lot better in person.

I think what needs to happen is that people need to stop looking at photographs and wishing they could be that way. It's not accurate at all, photoshopped or not.

• Wow. I'm absolutely lost for words. This picture slapped me in the face.. powerful.

• I don't think she was ever that great looking but I'd rather have the touched up version, easier to look at.

• The issue is that having only touched up versions sends a very bad message. It makes it seem like those sorts of perfect bodies are the norm, which can make people feel bad about their own imperfect bodies, which can be seriously psychologically harmful. So while people in general be more comfortable looking at touched up photos, overall they will be less comfortable and less happy with their own bodies, which is definitely not good.

• I want to see the photoshopped pic now :O

• Point is this is one good looking 48 year old woman without Photoshop she has nothing to be ashamed of.

• Turns out this pic was stolen and Photoshopped so Cindy's body really doesn't look like this

• you can see the aging,
    but you can also see the... not aging? i d k what else to call it

• Shit.. She looks better than Madonna...