Aren't bikinis the same thing as underwear?

This has always confused me. Aren't bikinis the same thing as underwear? I know they're swimwear, but they're basically the same thing, right? When people go to the beach, they have no problem wearing a bikini, but as soon as they're under your clothes, you get embarrassed. I don't understand lol. I don't feel comfortable wearing one because it seems the like exact same thing as a bra and panties, so I stick to one pieces and two pieces.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 15

• they each hold a different purpose. plus bras have support shit don't they.

• Yea some do and some don't. But still, lol.

• not at all... it's a different type of underwear no?

• Just part of our weird social construct... it's literally the same thing.

• Yes, very good point. I don't like bikinis at all. They are way too revealing, and leave nothing to the imagination. A one piece suit is nice.

• Basically yes. Not every girl is like that.
    My friends and family don't care if they're in underwear a bikini or nude/naked they don't try and hide away never have.

• Just the social application it's used for makes it different. That's why I like the bra-style bikinis, it's pretty much underwear anyways

• In a way, they are somewhat the same thing

• Hey, I just asked this question like 1 week ago.

• Social context. It's not rational.

• That's for you girls to figure out, and us guys to enjoy until you do

• You could say it's the same. But it still remains different.

• pretty muchhhhhh

• Yep, it's the same thing, only most girls don't wear thongs to the beach, but the bikini tops usually seem more revealing than bras do.

• It's because bikinis are meant to be seen. Underwear isn't meant to be seen by anyone except for your significant other or in a sexual setting

• yeha pretty much and most of the time bikinis show more which is why I am confused girls dont like being seen in their underwear

What Girls Said 10

• yeah i dont get this either. it's pretty hilarious lol.

• Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing.

• The difference is bikinis are made for the water. If you wore a bra and panties in the water, most would be totally see through.

• I know I said that

• OK well that's really the only difference so other than that I agree with you.

• Panty material tends to be a lot thinner. My underwear are (ffor the most part) much skimpier than my bikinis but even the ones that aren't don't feel the same as my bikinis. My mound and lips feel exposed in underwear... I've never had a camel toe problem in a swimsuit.

• They reveal just as much, but it's a social thing. When I change on the beach I also reveal my underwear and bra for a second and then put on a shirt. No big deal, but others always look a bit weird at me.

• Only reveal more. Hahaha

And kinda 'waterproof'...

• this confuses me too.. :p

• Functionally, you can say yes. But they are made more fashionable, so you can wear them alone in public without looking "slutty"

• That is true and doesn't make any sense. I mean they are both showing the same amount of skin.

• lol, I think so too but I don't care I still wear mine anyway.

• Yeah, basically