Why is it seen as a taboo for men to have long hair?

Im seen as a hippie, a pot head, gay, and not profetional and many others because I have long hair. I feel like men grow long hair naturally so why is everyone so obsessed with cutting it. They say hair gives you intuition but men have to cut their hair or be scorned. I feel like if you are a man they want you to cut your hair to take away your since of self and individuality. Like they do in the army and make you no more than a money making machine for society. I like girls with long hair so why is it bad for men to have hair. When your a baby you cry when they cut your hair and I don't feel like guys really like to cut so much as they have to look a certain way to be accepted.

Most Helpful Girl

• My brother has long hair, yes people say they want to cut it but who cares? He doesn't. He did have to cut it one time when it got caught in the grass strimmer, then he went to do his chainsaw course and thought had best cut it again, but it's still pretty long. I think people can just be old fashioned about it. Screw them.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• I personally love longer hair on guys, and I would love it if my boyfriend let his grow. I'm honestly tired of seeing the same old soccer dad (if that's what you call it, haha) haircuts on guys that make them look like thumbs.

• In a word, hegemony.

• I have no problem with it.

• My boyfriend has long hair. It's hot.

• i know it is maybe because im from the south and my catholic school makes us cut our hair

• yeah its weird i just don't cut it and get detention all the times and a good talking to from the brothers

• That's deep

• I like guys with short hair.

• I like men with long hair.

What Guys Said 3

• Taboo. What.
    Is this like with Tony Hawk Underground where they made skateboarders out to be an oppressed minority?

• It really shouldn't matter what people think of you. You can keep your hair however you like. I personally like men with long hair.

• I mean it kind of has been until recently but here in Seattle it's super mainstream lol. I'm kinda letting mine grow out right now nobody really cares. And also if you google like long men's hairstyles you get a bunch of pictures of celebrities I don't think it's as much of a taboo anymore.