Can you have a belly ring and still be able to do martial arts?

Umm...that says it all pretty much, but if you want clarification...I do martial arts, but I was hoping to get a belly button ring for prom (because of the dress that I'm thinking of wearing) and I know it's early but I like to get things done ahead of time and I don't really want to have to quit martial arts because of my pie ricing. So...thoughts? ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have fresh piercings on my navel (3 of them, no, I'm not gay), and it doesn't stop me from doing exercise.

Just be careful not to get the area hit. But really moving around and stuff isn't going to cause problems. Make sure you buy light jewelry, nothing dangly for the first few months. Keep it washed and DON'T put alcohol on it. That shrinks and dries out the skin, contrary to popular belief.

I would think that despite thrown around in Aikido, it's actually a way more fluid martial art that say, Taekwondo, so you shouldn't have problems with shocks or impact. As for Kungfu, it depends what type you practice.

Just don't do any Muay Thai =)

What Guys Said 6

• I'm pretty sure you can but only if you're to be ready for the risk of getting your belly button ring caught on something or even getting hit in the belly button. Not to mention your belly button ring getting ripped out and then causing your belly button to bleed and cause infections.

I'm sure there are things you can use to prevent those things from happening. Just make sure you know what you are doing.

• No.

• It depends on which Martial Art you practice...

• Only if you like the possiblity of it geting caught and then ripped out

• Yeah you can do both, just might have to risk it been ripped out, unless you put in a retainer...

• You're dress shows your belly button? Anyway, I think it would be OK as long as you take it out during practice or competitions. What kind of martial arts do you do?

• Kung Fu and I take an Aikido class at my school.

• That's cool. It might not be that big of a problem then. For some reason, I was imagining MMA where the stomach area would get a lot of contact. I think you'll be fine.

What Girls Said 2

• you want to put a hole in your body to accesorize for a prom dress that shows your belly button... *rubs face*

Just don't.

You can get fake belly button rings and or little stickers that look just as flashy without making yourself bleed or causing serious problems if it gets hooked on something at some point by mistake.

Plus there is the possibility of infection. I'm sure that puss might clash with something at the prom.

• uhm it'll all be good as long as you get like a rubber ring, you can find them at piercing shops, they bend more so they have less of a chance of tearing your piercing