Can the length of a woman’s hair help with the number of men who approach her? & How often change style?

A couple of woman’s hair style questions:

1. Can the length of a woman’s hair help with the number of men who approach her?

2. How often do women like to change a hair style?

A male friend and mine had a debate over a mutual female friend of ours who keeps her hair really short. She is straight, single and cute. But she doesn’t date much if at all. She rarely gets approached by men. In the fifteen plus years that I’ve known her she’s always kept her hair really short. As superficial as it sounds, I think that she would get approached more by single men if she had an even slightly longer hairstyle. My male friend says that her hair length doesn’t matter. I agree that it shouldn’t matter but it does for most men. Some men even associate a certain hair style with a woman’s sexuality, i.e. the “butch hair style”. Also from what I’ve been told by other female friends, a woman’s hair and hairstyle is very important to her as she sometimes uses it to flirt with men.

After an internet search, I found a hairstyle that is similar to my female friend’s hair style.

link

Obviously the above link is not her, but her hair style is similar to this model’s hair style. My friend’s style is actually a little shorter.

I know that it’s really a matter of taste but in general I think that most men prefer a longer hairstyle than this one.

Also, like I already stated don’t women usually like to change their hair style often? Like I stated she’s had the same style for almost 15 years.

For the guys out there, be honest. Two women of similar looks were giving you signals and the only difference was one had really short hair and the other medium to long, which would you most likely approach? I’d be interested to see the results if this has already been done in a sociological study.

The woman in question here is caucasian.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally, I don't like short haircuts like the one in the link. Some women can really pull it off and look really good, but I know I would never go for it. I've always had long hair though so I can't imagine cutting it that short. So I can't tell you from personal experience or anything, but I feel like guys like hair longer than that. Many of my guy friends and some I've just heard talking in public make comments like that about short hair and it being "butch." While I don't think there should be any connection between a woman's hair length and her sexuality, the stereotype does exist. I think it is all about still looking feminine even with the short hair cut. So maybe the haircut just doesn't suit your friend. I think what one of the anonymous users said about saying something like "I've always wondered what you'd look like with long hair" would be a good way to go about making the suggestion. You can go on to say you think she'd look good with longer hair or something. And honestly I don't think maintenance is a good reason... maybe because I have nothing to relate it to, but I don't have much trouble taking care of my hair. I keep it pretty simple though, wash and brush haha

• Thanks for your insight and your answer. I don't think that my friend looks good with her short hair cut. In the years that I've known her, she's always had really short hair. I'm not sure if she even knows how to maintain long hair if she even decided to grow it out. With busy life these days, I rarely see her, but I am considering mentioning to her that I've always wondered what she would look like with longer hair.

What Girls Said 7

• I have hair down to my lower back and men really like it. It's very healthy, my natural color but I always do a nice hairdo. I do get approached my men a lot but I think that has a lot to do with the way I carry myself an the fact that I have an hour glass figure with a pretty face and friendly smile. You are right though, some men do assess women with very shoort hair as being a lesbian, or some just don't like the short hair look on females. As you said, it doesn't mean it's true or right but I do believe super short hair decreases the number of mn who approach a girl. I think that what matters most though are the men who will take time to build a friendship with her, and then realize they are in love. Those are the most successful relationships.

• I agree that it's very superficial to "judge" a woman by her hairstyle. But I think that it happens too often at least here in the US. By the way, I asked her out for a date a couple of years ago, and her hairstyle never bothered me much. She turned me down though.

• haha you could always get out of the friend zone, just have to push the right buttons ;)

• Well, if I knew what those "buttons" were, I would push them. :)

• Personally, I've seen no difference. My hair has been as short as a pixie cut and as long as my tailbone, but I've never been approached by a guy before. And I change my hair style every 3-4 months.

• Thanks for your answer. I'm sure that you are over exaggerating about NEVER being approached by a guy.

• No, I'm not exaggerating. I have never been approached by a guy before in my life. Not for flirtatious or friendly purposes, anyway. I've been asked directions before but I don't think that counts.

• A guy asking you for directions could be. I did that once to try and strike up a conversation with a woman one time.

• I've had short short hair like almost up to my ear and medium hair like a little/ below the shoulders. Have I noticed a difference? hell yes. What I've noticed is how guys see me. With short hair they still talk to me but see me more as a friend, but as my hair started to get longer and longer the friend aspect of the relationship seemed to disappear over night and turned into more of maybe a sexual relationship. Now this might be because of they just got to know me more as time goes on, but lately I've been approached more, and the only thing I've changed is the length of my hair. Some girls can really pul off short hair like the one you had in the pick and some can't. I personally think it doesn't matter what type of hairstyle a girl or guy has and how it effects their sexuality, but typically men associate femininity with long hair, and women usually with short. The only reason I changed my hair in the past was because I was too impatient to grow long hair so I would just cut it short again. Anyway I found this article that mentions a study done awhile ago. Check it out.

link

• My hair used to be almost like it in the link. I love it! My current boyfriend liked me with the same style. I met him when my hair was really short and he said that he actually preferred my hair shorter.

I will admit that some people have labeled me as 'butch' because of the hair but I am straight and not all that bad looking. It's just a preference for guys and sometimes one comes along that cares more about personality than hair.

• True. I agree that the girl's personality matters more than her hair length, like I've already written. But it seems like more guys prefer a longer hairstyle especially when approaching a young single woman for the first time.

• Yea. But I've never really card about that. To me it's all about doing with my hair what I want. Not what anybody else prefers.

• i think long hair is beautiful than short hair.

• I think longer hair is more favorable, But If your pretty and have a nice body it really doesn't matter. Especially with black men, I think their more tolerable of short hair if your good looking.

• Good point. I didn't even think about ethnanticity as a factor.

• Most men are attracted to women with longer hair so yeah, they'd go for those over short hair girls.

Teens love to change their hairstyle and hair color very often as they get bored of what they have.

People in their 20's are less likely and have probably found a hairstyle that suits them.

• She's in her 30's now and has had the same style since she was at least 18. I personally think that she could use a hairstyle change and the one that she currently has isn't working for her or suit her.

• Well start by asking her what she likes about having short hair? She might want to keep it for maintenance reasons. If this is the case, stop here lol.. Otherwise you could say... "I've always wondered what you'd look like with long hair" (if you haven't seen her with long hair before) *perhaps* you could chuck in, "I bet you'd look extra youthful"! < Try to say that in the most upbeat way.. or maybe don't, she might take it as an insult haha..

• I know that she has short hair because it's a lot easier for her to manage which I guess is why she hasn't changed her style in all these years. I've never seen her with long hair or even pictures of her with long hair. So, I guess that I could tell her that I've wondered what she looked like with long hair. Which really is true, because I do wonder what she'd look like with longer hair.

What Guys Said 0