Why are short women (often) viewed as more feminine?

I've heard a lot of guys say this in real life, and even on questions asked on here, guys who say they like or prefer short women often say part of it is because shorter women are just more feminine.

Why? What makes a girl more feminine just because she's a few inches shorter than average?

Technically, short women ARE more feminine in the sense that they have more estrogen, while tall women tend to have more testosterone, which could potentially lead to traditionally "masculine" traits, like competitiveness and being career oriented. Short women's increased estrogen often means they're more motherly, nurturing, and interested in children and family. But, guys can't really tell all this just looking at a smaller than average female right?

Studies have been done, and shorter than average women are more succesful with men than average and above average height women, so there's obviously something to this, but I just don't understand what makes guys think of smaller women as more feminine than tall or even average height girls.

So, for those of you who do think short women just look or are more feminine, why?

** This is not a question to bash women who aren't short, so there's no need to post that you think short women are ugly, tall women are hotter etc, there are gorgeous women of all heights, but this question is about short girls only**

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the reasoning behind it is that guys prefer to be the bigger, taller person. Girls who are short tend to also be petite, not all but a good majority tend to be. It has to do with overall body composition. The shorter your legs are, the shorter and smaller everything else tends to be, that's just the natural way things work.

Women traditionally have been labelled the 'fairer' sex. Even though we know there are lots of women who may be petite but incredibly strong, it's still something I think subliminally men think about when they are looking for a mate.

Men like to be the protector, and a physical sign of protector is size and strength. So some men like to be taller than the women they date. Not all men, but some feel this way.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't know.

I think it's not that she's short, it's just that we're bigger, so we feel more masculine, so she feels more feminine.

• psychologically men attribute short height with youth

• a short woman also enhances a guy's feeling of being the protector/defender of his woman..taking care of her, etc. It makes a guy feel more needed and important on a deep level

• I don't I actually prefer taller women with long legs as more feminine. But my opinion might be biased since I'm 6'4.

• yes this type seems to be what most women think men prefer (I used to think this too) but after reading a couple studies, it seems for most men the smaller the better for some reason.

• To each their own but I'll always prefer women that are 5'7+

• The way I see it petite shows a little bit of cute side of things. Though you can't really generalize that all girls are "feminine" just based off of height and estrogen levels. I've had bad and good experiences with all women regardless of height does it make them more feminine I don't know can't really pinpoint it.

What Girls Said 7

• I think sfauo got it right. In general, men probably prefer, even if only subconsciously, women who are shorter because it makes them feel bigger/more masculine, and enforces the idea that they are her "protector."

There's probably an 'ideal' ratio that men look for between their height and their partner's. So, a taller man (in general) will likely prefer a taller woman, but one that's still shorter than him.

• I didn't know they were but maybe because taller height is usually going to be a guy

• Because they make men feel more manly than big women do. It's hard to feel masculine when your girlfriend is bigger than you are!

• Just because they're petite in comparison. Besides this topic I haven't heard anyone say that shorter women are viewed as more feminine.

• link this might help a little. When I watched this video it was something I instantly noticed once they were sitting next to each other. They're both super pretty and feminine but the smaller one does it for me. She looks delicate in a nice way, not a fragile way.

• Lucky me then

• Sterotype

• it's backed up by science as well, so not really

• Cabest answer

• I think you got it wrong, people in general always view a tall beautiful women with nice legs more feminine. Hollywood and society , They look at women 5'7 and taller as beautiful. My mom included , She hates short people . She always says taller people looks better in clothes.

• sorry, but that's not what this question was about. I specifically said this was about short women, I wasn't trying to bash tall women. Numerous studies have been published proving men tend to prefer shorter than average women, and short women have more reproductive success etc. Hollywoods ideals of beauty are far different than what real men think is beautiful, as we all know. There are gorgeous women of all heights, but I was asking about this specific topic pertaining to short ladies.

• I'm actually 5'6 border line ex model and cheerleader/ Homecoming queen. Now I'm in college, But no I'm not offended I haven't been on this site for awhile so I find this interesting. I'm actually hanging out with friends and no one is buying this at all not even my little 5'3 friend sitting over here. I'm very confident never had a problem with men, I just know what I see. I hang out a lot with celeberties only one guy has a short woman. But we can have differences of opinions. Be bless

• You have a very small pool (and perhaps innacurate- in the sense that you may be biased) to observe from, relative to the pools of people the studies observed. Thanks for your opinion though.