Why Marriage Matters and The Reasons I'm Waiting Until Marriage

Marriage is much, much more than a piece of paper

The act of saying vows to each other and committing to lifetime love is what's important, not the certificate you can hang on your wall later. It isn't as simple as mumbling a few words and having someone pronounce you husband and wife, it's a serious symbolic gesture you make to each other that elevates your relationship to the ultimate level - and that's what some people who call it "just a piece of paper" are afraid of. Marriage to me is not just a civil union between two people, rather it is an emotional, physical and spiritual union.

To better appreciate just how important marriage is to the vast majority of people in your life, consider this: There is no event, no occasion, no moment in your life when so many of the people who matter to you will convene in one place as they will at your wedding.

"This is Tom, my Husband" and "Hey guys meet my wife, Vanessa"

When you introduce that person as your wife or husband to people, you are making a far more important statement of that person's role in your life than you are with any other title. Words matter!!! They deeply affect us and others.

legality matters

Being legally bound to and responsible for another person matters. It is an announcement to him/her and to yourself that you take this relationship with the utmost seriousness. No words of affection or promises of commitment, no matter how sincere, can match the seriousness of legal commitment. Marriage entails responsibilities and a lot of hard work.

Things worth having don’t come easy

I'm 18 and I have recently made the decision to wait until marriage for sex.When a couple practices abstinence, their communication is good because they are not just focused on pleasure but on the joy of sharing their views and experiences; moreover, their conversations are deeper. By contrast, physical intimacy is an easy way to relate, but it overshadows other forms of communication. In order to get the job of your dreams, you need to work hard, be patient, be dedicated and stay motivated towards achieving your goal. The same goes for anything precious you want out of your life.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 4

• Just promote the gender war as soon as it explodes it's all good.

• That's really a good take I am waiting for marriage too

• Good for you for having deep feelings about marriage and waiting till after marriage before losing your virginity. Sorry to say I can't share same feelings about marriage but I would never criticise anyone else for having faith in it just because I prefer a life without marriage even if it meant cohabiting and having children out of wedlock.

What Girls Said 2

• Beautiful explanation, but also remember that people who have more than one partner have changed due to those sexual contacts. Without that you are giving your husband or wife the whole of you and not parts of other people too...

• "their communication is good because they are not just focused on pleasure but on the joy of sharing their views and experiences; moreover, their conversations are deeper."

I have to disagree. Just because i have sex with my girlfriend doesn't mean that we are having less deep conversations. Our conversations are just as deep as anyone elses.