Worst Wedding Proposal Ever?

Worst Wedding Proposal Ever?

It had always been on my bucket list that I wanted to be there one day where someone just spontaneously proposed to someone. You always hear these stories on the news or videos posted on YouTube, and I always thought they were so magical. Next thing I know, one day about a year ago, I was at work, and this guy came in with this huge armful of stunning red roses. Even though I had a lot of employees, most gifts of that nature tended to be a person in the wrong place meaning to deliver them to our other building. So I asked if he was meant to go there and he said no, his name was *Jack and this was the day he wanted to propose to his girlfriend, one of our employees, and could we help him do that.

That was pretty much a rhetorical question to me. I immediately called my management team stat to where we were in the front, and I'm like guys, we need to make this happen. Being a slow morning, even better, we had plenty of time to actually do it. Jack had asked if we could make an announcement asking *Ava to marry him, but we decided against that mainly because we weren't allowed to make announcements that weren't pre-approved, but we decided instead that he could propose in our event space.

It took all of about five seconds for the thing to explode from just call her into the event space and play the cd he's brought of their favorite song, to okay, we need a red carpet, we need a spotlight, we need to hide him behind the curtains, we need a camera man, we need the disco ball going. Jack was getting excited because his simple proposal had grown to something that would be much more memorable and of course now he'd have an actual video to show both their families.

So about 30 minutes later, the cd had been rigged up, the disco lights were going, the event space was completely dark, our camera guy had set up hidden with the rest of us not in the a/v area, behind the curtains, the red carpet was out, Jack had positioned himself on bent knee behind the curtains, and all we had to do was call Ava and wait for it to all go down. Everyone was so excited. My heart was racing, this was definitely going to be a story I'd tell like all the time at other weddings or at a party sometime. So we called Ava, and told her that we needed her to help set up for a last minute event. I could tell she was totally skeptical because event set up usually required like 10+ people and she usually wasn't one of the ones we called for set-ups, but she made her way down to the event space.

The door to the darkened space opened, boom, the spotlight came on, the music started playing as she made her way somewhat confused down the red carpet. She got to the end and we opened up the curtains and there Jack was on bent knee with his roses and the hugest smile on his face. All of us behind the curtains were as quietly as possible oowing and aweing and starting to tear up. Ava saw Jack and she just burst with emotions and rushed up to the stage to give Jack the biggest hug and say yes.

Er, that's what I imagined was going to happen, but in reality the curtain opened up and Ava immediately crossed her arms over her chest. Weird, I thought from the little slat between the curtains that I could see. Then I saw her face. Not a happy face, not a tearful face, not a surprised or shocked face, but the face you give when you are PISSED! The tears that I was about to cry for their love, immediately sucked themselves back up and into my eye sockets as Jack stood up and not saying words of how much he loved her or anything of that nature, but he started apologizing and...what was he doing...begging her to marry him.

Things just escalated from there, but now six of us stood hidden behind a curtain not entirely sure what to do. I whispered for the camera guy to stop recording and he shut the thing off, and we were all whispering, "uh, should we like try to go or what?" As soon as we said that, Ava said, "I know you're all behind there!" Oh my gosh, we had to make this super awkward exit to the a/v room to then try to turn off all the "magic" that was happening and also because the thought suddenly occurred to us that she might not be so safe in that room alone with him.

So we stood in the booth where we could see them (aka be able to call the cops if necessary) until they finished arguing and he left. Turns out the two of them had broken up like 6 months ago and he had been harassing her about it ever since. He'd shown up where she was, tried to come to her house, emailed, called, you name it, but other than when he'd shown up, she hadn't seen him in person in a couple months...until now where he had in desperation or full on stalker mode or both, tried to propose his way into getting her to like him again. Yikes!

It was pretty much awful all the way around and we had to issue a no pass on him with security and have this horrible meeting where we were told that under no circumstance for legal reasons, could we ever do something like that again (like in case he had come with a gun or something or future people did that). Let's just say, I pretty much removed proposals from my bucket list for good.

Anybody experienced a terrible proposal yourself or witnessed someone elses? Or maybe you did have my former bucket list wish moment and you witnessed one that was actually magical.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 5

• I saw a guy propose in Walmart once. I was working there at the time. She said no then punched him and stole his car keys. I was so dumbstruck. I had no idea what to do. Do I call the police or do I help the man? I chose to calm the man down then get him to report his car stolen.

• Dang! What happened? Did he get his car back? And... to add to that... look at who you "would have" married... it's definitely better he found out now.

• * he

• Turned out to be one creepy proposal. Not what I was expecting at all even though I knew roughly how its about to end. Maybe people should stop with public proposals.

• Wow that was horrible, but why do I keep thinking about Chandler Bing the whole time?

• Wow, bad assumption on your part, without knowing whether they were even currently dating. Sounds pretty humiliating for all involved.

I think public proposals in general are a pretty bad idea.

• "You wanna get like married and stuff? It's not like you're getting any younger"

What Girls Said 8

• I've always thought public proposals are really awkward, even if successful. It just put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the person who's being proposed to, and frankly I think it's pretty off-putting and creepy to want to get a bunch of strangers involved and stare at you while it's happening. It's much better to do it in private, and if you have to have people around you, they should be friends/family so it's less awkward.

• That's terrible :(
    Sucks that you guys went to all that effort (bravo, by the way, nice improvisation) and he turned out to be just some creepy stalker.

• Lol crazy

• Thanks. I was bummed about it, but I'm glad in the end everyone was okay, and we literally never saw Jack again.

Wow crazy story haha. I hope that deranged guy gets some mental help.

public proposals are a terrible idea, for precisely the reasons you listed. thankfully, neither my boyfriend nor i are into the whole people thing, so at least i can be sure that our engagements will be low-key and just between us (thank god). <3

Thats horrible! I was sorta engaged to my ex, here's how it went; after moving in with him a year into the relationship we had a lot of ups and downs but always had hope. On Valentines day of last year he set up a vase filled with beautiful roses and a sweet card with a wonderful paragraph he had written. He placed these on my working desk. I went to him and told him how much I loved the roses and how nice the card was. Then he pulls out a wedding ring. I was excited. Not even two weeks later he kicks me out after we fought. He asked for me to come back six months later (again saying how he wants to marry me) and two months later he kicks me out again! This time just a couple days after our birthday. We have the same birthday and that day was horrible! I still have the ring and honestly have very little doubt in ever finding a good man.

Nah, I wouldn't give up hope after that. He doesn't sound too stable, so I think its better you knew that now before you're trapped in a marriage where someone's idea of communicating and working things out is to kick you out at every opportunity. I think once you're able to step away from him and really think clearly about the whole thing, you'll kind of know some things to watch out for in the future.

• Im like engaged but we talked about getting married not a good convo of it though, shitty proposal with him just giving me the bloody box that had both rings in it, nothing special, still resent his lack of not proposing, still dobt marrying him even though sometimes I occasionally wanna leave but I still wanna be with him, 😠 Im an idiot who doesn't know what she wants

• Oh my god, that's so terrible-it's a good thing she is safe with a guy like that obsessed over her.

• OMG!