Taking another girl as a plus one to a wedding?

I've got a wedding coming up and my girlfriend is going to be abroad for work so she can't attend. I'm thinking of taking one of my (our) close friends as a plus one.

It just seems like it would be SO awkward to show up alone because virtually everyone there will be couples or the singletons invited with guests. I know platonic friends go to weddings together, but i'm not sure what the etiquette is if i'm actually in a relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• can t you bring a guy friend?

There's going to be slow dancing though, alone i'd have to sit there at the table :(

@redeyemindtricks Ahah nice lesson ma'am the picture says a thousand words.

💋 <3

Srsly tho, you worry too much. Just go with yr "date" and have a most non-scandalous good time.

Besides -- If random other people perceive a scandal where none actually exists... that's FUN.
      You kidding?
      My man and I have practically made a career out of making other people -- and, when we're REALLY good, our own subconscious minds -- think there's some code-red shit goin' down. #mmhmmbby read all about it: (girl mho here)
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2113727-sexual-fantasies</a>

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see anything wrong with taking your friend to a wedding. Like you said, she's a close friend of both of you so I don't see anything that would be out of bounds. If your girlfriend is cool with it, so should you.

What Girls Said 20

• If you're already in a relationship, it could be okay to take a female friend who you view as nothing more than a friend, and vice versa. To be sure, though, run it by your girlfriend. If she's okay with it, then you'll be fine.
    (.. though I think it would be much more awkward to go with a 'friend' and have to deal with multiple assumptions made by people that you're together than just going alone and letting them know that your girlfriend was tied down with working abroad.)

• Sorryyyyy jumping in late here lol and you have good answers already, but my two cents: Definitely talk to girlfriend. But keep in mind how this is going to look to everyone at the wedding who knows you're in a relationship but not close enough to ask you why you didn't bring your girlfriend, which is why I would say away from it regardless. I would take a guy over taking another female friend unless your girl is 100% absolutely, without a doubt, okay with it. I don't know how cool she is, but I personally would actually be a little offended if he asked if he could take someone else. This is something he should know is something we only do together, and having another girl as his DATE to a wedding is not cool.

• ... OUR...
    If it is Okay with your Hunny Bunny, then Plan to Ask 'One of our close friends' so she can Start Shopping for Something to Wear. And I am sure, don't worry, You Both will Not be This... Plus. All Eyes will be on the Wedding Party and the Two Guest of Honors, believe me.
    "To Have and to hold," for this is a Blessed Occasion. Who would have the Goalies to Cheat Sheet on Someone else's Wedding Parade?
    Good luck and Enjoy. xx

• I would definitely talk to your girlfriend first before taking another girl. Make sure she is okay with this. Also be prepared for the awkward intrusive questions like "When are you two getting married?" "Are you two engaged?" "Pretty soon it will be you two getting married".

Because people have no filter when it comes to these questions, seriously!

• What's wrong with going stag? Honestly, I've never understood the whole bringing a guest to a wedding thing... if the guest you're bringing isn't involved in the couples life, it's gonna be boring and awkward for them, not to mention you're making the hosts pay to feed someone they don't even know or barely know. Why do that?

I went to plenty of weddings by myself when I was single. That's way more fun than having someone attached to you by the hip all night because they don't really know anyone else.

Cost isn't an issue they've laid on more than the number of guests so it's ok. You and @EmpatheticLady make a good point though about her not involved with someone.

I wouldn't want to go to a wedding as a friend's guest if I wasn't friends with more people who are gonna be there. The fact that you have a girlfriend which, presumably, other guests know about, would make it even more awkward for both of you. You go alone and people will ask where your girlfriend is... you go with some other chick and they're gonna think you broke up and jumped into a new relationship or that she's some rebound bang... you'll spend half the night correcting people and a lot of them will still leave wondering if there's something going on.

@EmpatheticLady You always make sense m'dear :)

@Sara413 The girl in question is friends with some of the other guests, just not close enough to the bride to warrant an invite of her own. But, i'm glad i asked this because what seemed like a decent idea an hour ago seems quite bad now haha.

• I wouldn't! How would your girlfriend feel? Go alone and if anyone asks (which they likely won't), say your girlfriend is abroad due to work commitments. It's as simple as that. I'd prefer to be on my own than using another male friend so I'm not so alone. Also, family will assume you're dating.

• Well I'd say the etiquette is do NOTHING that you'd typically do with your girlfriend.

Personally I'd just go alone and tell everybody that I killed and ate my boyfriend because... I'm an asshole.

• bad idea... you shouldn't even be thinking about it.. who cares about what others think... I know so so so many people who go alone,... seriously no one cares.. seems like you're trying to make an excuse to take someone else..

Nah im not :P just don't want to be the odd guy out. I'm actually happy to go with a guy friend now people have said it.

good lol

• Why not just take a guy friend? Seems like wayyyy less "trouble" tbh :P

• As long as your girlfriend is okay with it, I don't see a huge issue with bringing a friend. However, it may still be awkward for your female friend to go in that lovey dovey environment, haha.

• Honestly would be best to go alone and if anyone asks just say you're girlfriend is abroad atm. That would kill any awkwardness and most would be interested by it.

When is your girlfriend coming back?

Okay since she's coming home the day after, make her a doggy bag. Try to get one of each food that they serve there and surprise her with it once she's home. The second she see's the deserts from there I bet her face will light up like made.

Excellent idea! There's going to be more than enough food laid on so she'd love it. In fact i'll probably be forced to take some for her by the bride lol.

• If i were you, i would:
    - Yes, go alone. Nothing awkward with that. If people ask why alone, just answer she's in abroad. So what. *umm for examples, i saw some hollywood celebs haha, just attend some occasions alone though they are married or in a relationship. :p by the way i am very used to attending weddings alone
    - i will take my girl friend. Not a guy. Even though i have a very close guy friend, no, i take my girl.

• Well if your girlfriend is okay with that idea then I don't see any problem here. Have you asked her about it?

If I am in her situation I wouldn't mind as long as he informed me earlier to avoid misunderstanding.

• worst idea ever... go alone or with a guy

• Well you could ask your girlfriend and see if she's okay with it. Or just take a guy friend. Or go alone. It's really up to you.

• If your girlfriend knows her and is ok with it and if you have zero sexual interest in her I don't think it's a big deal.

• I'd say ask your girlfriend first of course. Make sure she's okay with it... people will def assume you guys are dating if you take her to the wedding

• I would say ask your girlfriend. If you really wanna take another girl take your cousin. People will probably think that's your girlfriend.

• I think it's fine, but the most important thing is whether your girlfriend is okay with it or not.

• Thats a big obvious no no

What Guys Said 2

• There will be couples there, but you still won't be with your girlfriend, so technically you're still alone.

Why does it have to be a girl friend? Why not a bro? It would be more fun lol unless the girl is your bro, then its okay to bring her.

That didn't actually cross my mind lol, seems like a good idea. Once we've had a few drinks me and my mate will slow dance quite happily with each other :D

• I think it's fine.