Is $1300 for an engagement ring on the cheap side?

my bfs cousin knocked up some girl in the first month of dating and he bought her an engagment ring for Christmas. my boyfriend told me he saw the 2ct. ring with diamond band type thing on either side. his cousin says he spent $1300 on it, like it was a huge amount. maybe I don't know as much as I thought, but that seems toward the cheaper end of the price range. I thought even a 1ct diamond ring of even poor quality would be more than that. I told my boyfriend that and he said that was a ton of money. then it became a discussion of what he is willing to spend on a ring for me and how my taste may just be too expensive. id always just assumed that a nice looking ring, not even big, would cost someone at least $3,000. so maybe his cousin doesn't know what he bought or my boyfriend got his info wrong. I only know that his cousin told me it was $1300. I never saw the ring, but when my boyfriend saw it after that and told me 2ct I told him it must be sh*tty diamonds or it isn't a big as he thought...so any one with any engagement ring shopping experience would like to discuss this...im curious now.

i don't want your opinion on how much a ring should or shouldn't cost. I want to know the actual price of a ring like I described. please remove all emotional feeling on the subject of engagement rings and give me facts, not useless opinions. JESUS. F***ING. CHRIST.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Rings are bullsh*t, the guy is ready to sacrifice his happiness for the woman. You material creatures, it's all about money isn't it. 1300$ is a lot of cash, not everyone has it, maybe that is a high price for him, think about it. He is commiting to her and that is what matters. Price tags are just the way economy works, diamonds are absolutely useless, unless you use them for industrial cutting. $1300 is not really a ton of cash for a diamond ring, normal 2ct. diamonds are at around $ 2000, $ 3000 . But 1300$ is easily the highest amount he had to pay for a single item up till now. Do not judge it.

• THANKYOU Omg who the f*** cares about the price - it's just a damn ring anyway. He did give up a lot in that respect. On top of the economy state too? Pretty sh*tty to talk down on the guy. QA - why the f*** do you think you even deserve a 3,000 dollar ring? What makes you so wonderful?Exactly.Get out of here with that entitlement sh*t.

• Show Older
    • Stop arguing ! This went from pleasant through entertaining, but now it is just plain offencive, dull, immature - plain stupid. Stop arguing about something as stupid as money. oOsweetonessOo stop attacking her and you assley stop replying. IMO you are both acting like kindergardners.

• QA - um " taste ( yours) is too expensive?" Thinking that 1300 bucks is cheap for a ring? What the hell? A decent ring is about 3,000 bucks? Those are all your opinions, and it came off as I explained - hence why we're arguing anyway. @ Answerer - your not my father - she attacked me first for no reason - just because I agreed with what you said. This whole discussion was rather pointless, and I have no idea why she keeps it going. If you don't like my opinion than f*** off.:)

What Guys Said 11

• You're looking around $10,000 for a 2ct diamond of fair quality. That's excluding the setting. It's only the diamond. No way in hell he found a 2ct for 1300 (maybe a .2ct in which case he overpaid) but not a 2.0.Here's the averages...$125-500.15-.25 ct$500-750.20-.37 ct$750-1,000.30 - .50 ct$1,000-2,000.30 - .75 ct$2,000-3,500.40 - 1.0 ct$3,500-5,000.50 - 1.50 ct$5,000-7,500.80 - 2.0 ct$7,500-10,0001.0 - 2.50 ct$10,000 and up1.0 - 3.0 ctp.s. all this information excluding the first paragraph comes from the Diamond Price Guide and the averages are for varied qualities of diamonds.

• hmm

• No hmm. Only facts. I didn't pull those numbers out of my ass. Those are the legit averages for the industry. Oh, and one more thing, there all based on a 18k (white or yellow) gold setting.

• First I don't think it should be about money, its really about what you can afford. Yeah I don't think you can get a 2 ct diamond even if it was a poor color and had a big inclusion in it for $1300 but who knows. I've looked at e-rings lately and I was really shocked at how expensive they are. I would only get married if I was really serious and I would want to talk about if she likes diamonds and what not before hand so I had an idea what she wanted. If she wanted a nice diamond I would probably pay at least 10k or up to 20k since I don't plan on doing it again and it will be around forever. I've heard the average price is like 1400 though but I don't see how its possible. Even the setting can cost more than that easily if you go platinum. A lot of people must get cz fake rings or something. You guys are so young though so 1300 or so seems right.

• yeah it just doesn't add up...2ct with baggets for 1300

• no, no it sure isnt. id go with a simple 100$ wedding band.its the thought that counts not the ring. at least to the right girl it is.

• you did not really answer my question

• sure I did

• His friend is a stupid f***... , marring someone he knocked up... and only knowing them for a month... my god lol... its called a abortion if she doesn't want one a swift kick to the stomach should clear things up. Kids I tell ya..

• How much would YOU pay for an engagement ring for YOUR boyfriend? that is the question.. for me, I would pay way more than my G\F wants me to pay she expressely told me NOT to pay more than 800$ (wich IMHO is nothing at all). We went to a real jewlery store the other day and there was nothing under 7,000$... then again you had a certificate of autenticity for the diamond.. It depends of what the person receiving the ring thinks the ring means, to me, it symbolises an eternal love (been with G\F for 20 years now and getting married next summer). The ring should last more than 4 generations... way longer than me... but to my G\F it's just another ring... see it all depends.. also the price goes a little with the budget.. working at 20$ an hour mean you'll have to work twice a long as if you're working 40$ an hour... What's your salary? I'll ask it again...How much will YOU pay for an engagement ring for YOUR boyfriend?Let us all know what your conclusion is

• you did not answer my question

• sorry but the answer is in YOUR head re-read my answer completely...

• when my parents got married my dad gave her a 14k gold ring which was cheap but that was back when my dad was going through hard economic times now my dad buys my mom crazy rings,when I baught my class ring it was 18k with 12 little diamonds and it was 1900 and people at my school(its mostly a rich kid private school) thought it was a lot of money but then again it was a class ring so it all depends on the persons economic state,if bill gates buy a 100k ring its expensive to us but wortless to him but if a lawyer or doctor that makes a lot but no where near as bill buys the 100k ring its a heavy toll on his wallet

• I heard the rule for the price you should pay for a wedding ring is 3 months salary. So if you want a guy to buy a ring worth x amount, then multiplay that by 4 and you get how much his annual salary should be :-D

• you did not really answer my question

• Well I did. If the guy earns very little e.g. 1300 x 4 = 5200 a year. Then I think it is fine. If he ears >5200 then it is on the cheap side. If he earns 1million a year a reasonable ring should cost 250 grand minimum. Or else he doesn't really love you/sarcasm

• You think 1,300$ for a totally useless ring is "on the cheap side"?Earn your own money and buy that for yourself, maybe then your perception gonna change.Damn.. I'm curious what would happen if suddenly women would be expected to buy expensive stuff for men.. what would they say?OK.. I would understand if you both would discuss which house to buy, what kind of a car or something like that.But it's just a f***ing ring, no matter whether it costs 10,000$ or 100$ it's still just a ring!Have you any idea how profitable is jewelry business? And it swims in money only because of women like you.It's not like your boyfriend would care for you any more based on the amount of money he spends.. or is pressured to spend.But maybe that's not what you're looking for in the first place.

• you did not really answer my question

• I think I did, or maybe you just didn't pick it.

• Well I believe it's all based on Cut, Color, Clarity then it comes to the size. but 2ct. is pretty big for a diamond, I'm assuming the color or clarity isn't that great but it's a decent price for a ring in this economy I'd say.

• $1300 for a ring is cheap, and he has a 2ct ring, damn. I saw a 2ct ring the other day it was 25 grand, and then I saw a 6ct ring, it was 125 grand. You can get a big ring, but it might not be the best quality ring, such as the color may look more yellow, there make be specs in the diamond, and even a previously owned ring.

• That's what I thought. This questions is old and I've seen the ring now. It's not 2k it's a three stone basic type ring. Maybe all together 2k.

• your boyfriend is right

• you did not really answer my question

What Girls Said 4

• i think it is a little bit expensive...

• Look, it really doesn't matter. That's his hard earned money, he worked hard to earn that money so it is in his eyes a very valuable ring. Not because of the size and or cut of the ring but because of the hard work that was invested in obtaining it. That's all that really matters.

• 1300 bucks - is someone's rent price for a nice three bedroom home in a gorgeous area where I live. 1300 bucks is how much my dorms cost to live in for the year - a modern nicely styled suite with a bathroom.1300 bucks is enough for a nice used car. 1300 bucks - a lot of people can't even make that unless they save up 5 or 6 pay checks. Case in PointIT's a good amount of cash. Especially for a little circular object that doesn't really mean anything, made of materials that we've created fake human value for. Like a diamond. It's a shiny rock. That's it. One should be grateful for someone spending 5 dollars on them - let alone 1300. No one owes you sh*t. Your not special. Especially not a 3,000 dollar piece of metal. IF your boyfriend gets you a wedding ring out of a vending machine - you should be happy.You can't put a price on true love - and a dammed ring doesn't represent sh*t honestly - because marriages FAIL more often than they should. Know why?Because it doesn't matter how much your ring cost - it can't hold together a relationship on it's own.So for me - it's whatev. Call me cheap but 1300 is a lot, and I respect him for giving up that much of his earned cash - willingly - to offer his marriage. People kill me with all this expensive this and expensive that, name brand this, " he went to Jared" sh*t- They're just materials. The only thing that gives them value is you.So I say a 20 buck ring, is just as good as a million dollar one.All that matters is who's putting it on my finger.

• you did not really answer my question

• good answer!

• My husband didn't really buy me an engagement ring, he bought me a fake ring for about $100 on the internet and it was sort of yellow so I sold it off on ebay for $10. The wedding band he bought me was one carrat and it was a grand. so 2 carrats for only a little bit more than a grand is pretty cheap price for a nice ring.

• thats what I thought lol I didn't think you could get a 2ct. for under 3000. I guess if you really look for a deal you can get one