Surviving Freshman Year (High School)

Surviving Freshman Year (High School)

Having FINALLY finished my freshman year of high school, I feel like I am qulified to give some advice as to how you can get through your first year of high school.

• GO TO THE ORIENTATION: I cannot stress this enough, especially if you are going to a new school. Go to the orientation and make sure you have a rough idea of where every thing is so your don't get lost. Know the school rules. Orientation is also a great way to make friends with other freshman year students and maybe even some older kids.
  • BE OUTGOING: I actually moved to a new continent when I started my freshman year, so this one was especially hard for me. Most kids had already found their groups and were close to each other. My parents also didn't allow me to go out frequently, so if people invited me, I often had to reject. But be outgoing, hang out with different people and try to be friendly to every one. Since, I didn't go out a lot, I didn't becme close friends with a group of people, instead I became friends with everyone. Also, attend the social events at your school.
  • FOCUS ON YOUR GRADES: Don't slack back in freshman year, because it will be hard to catch up later on. As my science teacher always says, "Start stong; end strong." Do you homework and participate in class. It is very important. Believe me it will help you a lot during a test. I think starying organized is the key as you can find what you need, when you need it.
  • DO EXTRACURRICULAR: You don't have to just do acedemic things like MUN or MUSS. Join a sport if that's what your heart is into. Some schools have band, if your school does and you want to join do it by all means. Have fun in what you do.

Freshman year should not be stressful, it should be fun. So remember, whatever you do, enjoy it.

Have a great freshman year.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 2

• I missed out on the "be outgoing" one so hard before, that now my whole life is messed up.

PLEASE BE OUTGOING AND DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO BECOME SOCIALLY INVOLVED AND ESTABLISHED IN MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL AND IF YOUR PARENTS STOP YOU, REBEL...

... so you don't end up like me... a kissless virgin outcast with no place that lives under a rock and is severely developmentally behind.

• you're 17, you just got off at a slow start. It'll be hard in the start, but it's not too late to catch up
      But you are correct, social interreaction is EXTREMELY important during the teens.

• Great ideas.

What Girls Said 3

• Great points! My freshman year was pretty great! You should always definitely focus on making great grades, and doing extra curricular activities definitely help fitting in. I literally tried to join every club, but it wasn't really possible attending them with marching band which took up 6 days of the week. Being outgoing helps too, but you honestly don't have to be outgoing. You just need to make some effort to meet someone. I also recommend, talking to people during orientation and on first day while waiting for schedules because finding a seat at lunch can be excruciating if you don't know anyone and your friends have different lunches. Lucky for me, marching band has band camps all summer from the weeks after school gets out to the very last day before school so us band, guard, cheer, football, and other sport people are already at school all summer and have met the people we'll go to school with. I just sat at the band table and second semester sometimes I set with my soccer team.

• Really well written. Nice Take!

• Nice take :)