5 Tips on How to Improve the Quality of Your Hair

1. Take a good look at your diet

You are what you eat. For healthier hair you need to fill up on nutrients such as iron, zinc, vitamin-c, omega 3's, and biotin. Follow a healthy diet with plenty of leafy green vegetables, plant/animal based protein, fish, and citrus fruits. Along with a good diet, taking a hair supplement can give your hair a healthy boost.

2. Prevent hair damage

To get healthier hair you must tweak your hair practices in order to ensure you aren't damaging your hair. For a start, ditch your blowdryer and flat-iron. If you must use heat, use your tools on the lowest setting and apply a heat protectant spray beforehand. When you get out of the shower, don't rub your hair with a towel and don't brush/comb your hair while it's wet. To avoid hair damage, gently press your hair with a t-shirt/paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture. If you must detangle your hair while it's wet, apply a hair serum first and then comb out your hair with a wide toothed comb.

3. Get regular trims

Contrary to popular belief, there is no way to mend or repair split ends. The only solution to ragged and splitting hair is a trim at the salon. If you do not trim your split ends, the damage will travel farther up the hair shaft, leaving you with even more damage to cut off later on. To prevent split ends from happening, avoid damaging your hair and get regular trims every 2-3 months or so.

4. Nourish your hair

To improve the quality of your hair you must nourish it. In order to do this, you must let go of any harsh chemical products you are using and focus on getting moisture back into your hair. For cleansing, use a sulfate free/paraben free shampoo and conditioner and follow-up with a moisture-rich masque at least once a weak. For extra moisturized hair, try to incorporate hot oiling into your routine (at least once a week). For a hot oil treatment, all you need is virgin/natural oil like coconut or olive and a wide toothed comb. Heat the oil in a microwave or on the stove until it is warm, and apply it onto your scalp and hair. Take time to massage your scalp and really get the oil in. Use the wide toothed comb to distribute the oil throughout your hair. Leave the oil in your hair for as long as you desire, in my experience overnight works best.

5. Leave your hair alone

For healthier hair, this just might be the easiest step of all. Leaving your hair in its natural state and nourishing it will improve the quality of your hair. If you like to chemically treat or colour your hair, try to do it less frequently and only do it at a salon. Getting your hair professionally done is the best way to prevent hair damage. Your stylist can adjust the volume of bleach and hair dye to prevent any excess damage from being done to your hair.

I hope this helped some of you beautiful ladies out!

Happy hair days! xo

3

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 3

• mmmm wanna give miranda kerr a facial ;)

• Needed this

• This is a pretty cool take. My wife's hair isn't what it was when she was 20. Maybe she needs to change shampoo or try that oil thing?

Thanks for sharing your tips.

What Girls Said 11

• Wen conditioner is the best for silky smooth hair

• <3 Lovely, nothing beats healthy hair.

Another tip, always detangle from the bottom towards the root. It's helped so much, learning how to detangle properly, because I have thick curly hair.

• Not washing it often helps BIG TIME:) Just make sure u have a body wash every night... put ur hair up in a shower cap

• I like using the Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioner set. If you look at Yotuube reviews almost everyone says that it made their hair grow so much. I've only been using them for a little while, but my hair has slowly been feeling thicker.

• This is very true. About a year ago some GAGer told me about this shampoo and I tried it. I'm very happy with the change of shitty shampoo to this one. My hair does feel and look healthier. And yes it grows so quick too.

• My hair is fairly healthy albeit a tad frizzy, but I am trying to decide how to change my haircut. It is long and wavy, and the same length. Should i go for same length w a couple face framing strands or long layers?

• I'm not a hair expert or stylist so I can't say. I'd suggest you to visit a good hairstylist and get their opinion. Sorry I couldn't be of much assistance :(

• What is the best shampoo for oily hair?

• Try a tea tree oil shampoo or an organic shampoo with apple cider vinegar.

• Thankyou I will give it a try

• If your hair is super oily, try washing it less. Sounds crazy, but after a week or two it will stop producing so much oil.

• Good take, but I'd add two things.

*Reduce stress - Highly underestimated in hair health. You can do all those things but if you're constantly stressed or anxious, your hair doesn't have a chance. Especially since hair grows at a very slow rate compared to the rate it falls. I've seen people go bald over stress. Even if the stressful even was only a few months.

*Sometime you just need a visit to the doctor - anemia from heavy periods can cause hair loss

• Lol "don't comb hair while wet", umm there's not really another way for me to comb it.

• Us a towel to whip your hair.

• Google it. I have curly hair and it works for me

• Oh I know it isn't an option for me either. Using a wide toothed comb is actually better for curls, it helps minimize frizziness (at least that's what I heard). I've got thick pin-straight hair that gets tangled easily. I have to comb it because of my knots. I understand your pain :p

• Diet is so underrated, it really has a great impact on multiple things, including hair. Iron is very important for your hair, if you don't get enough of it, the hair starts becoming weaker day after day until it starts falling down a lot more than it normally should. It's really bad if you don't take care of it.
    I love taking care of my hair. These are very helpful tips, thank you :)

• I love hair care tips:) Ty! That fruit and vegetable heart made my mouth water!

• These tips are very beneficial for hair growth as well. I've always considered them important for getting beautiful hair.
    Great take :)