Why I Dislike Trends

Why I Dislike Trends

What is a trend?

A trend is something that becomes popular in a relatively short time span. A great amount of people gravitate towards it.

• A trend is hot now but quickly fades.
  • As quickly as it arrived is as quickly as it will go.
  • It is often replaced by a new trend, while the old one typically becomes forgotten.
  • Examples of trends: Music, clothing, dances, TV shows, physical physique/look, videogames, behavior etc.
  • A trend can be anything!
  • It is very diversed!

Do you remember the "twerking trend?"

All it took was, Miley Cyrus to get on stage with a giant foam finger and twerk her rear end like she was having a seizure. Before you knew it, twerks were on the rise!

Do you remember the "(insert name of challenge) trend"?

• Every few months there's a new internet challenge circulating the web. These challenges first gained my attention, when I discovered the "hot water challenge" and the "fire challenge".
  • Hot water challenge and more
  • Fire challenge

Look at the the destruction of what following the fad can do!

The list of trends is endless and continues to go.....

Why I dislike trends

When I think of the word "trend" I think of a set of people who don't have a mind of their own.

Lets rewind the clock back a bit so you can see how I formulated my opinion.

When I was in high school, everyone wanted to follow the popular kids and be just like them. They were the most talked about, most liked, and most respected. These popular kids didn't do anything outstanding or amazing. They were just really "cool" and had a lot of friends who often feared them. If their friends dared to challenge them, their entire highschool reputation would be at stake. Sounds minor right? Well, not to a teenager whose entire existence is the way in which others percieve them. Often times, these kids knew it wasn't worth it so they followed the words and actions of these popular kids. They never ever stated their own opinions or how they felt about anything. They sort of went with the popular crowd and did their best to blend in, and so they did!

The friends of the popular students pretty much followed what they considered hot.

Hot eventually cools down.

Like a trend, it is eventually replaced.

A new day and temperature begins, leaving the past behind us.

Not following trends allows me to keep my individuality

I never go with what is "hot" or "what is cool" because it's what every one else is doing. If I choose to do something it's because it appeals to me.

As previously stated, a trend can also pertain to a behavior.

Have you ever crossed paths with people who say things that are socially acceptable? They express opinions that they know a majority of people will agree with. If you ask them the same question in private, you'll be surprised at how different their answer is from their previous one. They never truly felt the way they expressed (originally). They just said those opinions because they knew everyone would agree with them.

Goodbye trends! When it fades what is left?

How will you know who you are without a trend if you are constantly following one?

Set your own path and lead the way!

Your spirit was intended to carry on, not fade.

816
Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Thankyou so much for this i was feeling very much like this after seeing everyone change there profile pic to a french flag even people that have no clue of what happened its conformity it reminds me of Asch's paradigm in being an individual who is nonconformist lies another problem becoming a nonconformist conformist the perfect example of this is hipsters they don't dress like the trends they don't listen to trending music etc. But if you look at hipsters they are all the same they themselves have become a thing to wich you conform by refusing the mainstream.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm terrible when it comes to social anything so I never know if or when somethings trending. Heck I didn't even know trends were a thing till last year.

Actually I think if I go by the definition of a trend, then I was a trend in primary school. Or at least everyone calling me Leslie (short for lesbian) was a trend. It was the funniest thing ever for the kids around me but quickly died out again when I forgot to retaliate.

I've never followed trends. Not because I try not to be mainstream, I'm just simply clueless and have never really been interested in what the rest of the herd is doing. I might be a bit of a sheep, but I'll drink when they're eating and shit when they're sleeping.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 15

• There were 3 women/girls standing in front of me, at the crossing, i was behind them.
    All 3 wore the same style coats, had almost the same hair style too, except one who i thought was the mother of the two other girls (who were maybe around 23 years old), and their make up was similar too, then i noticed they are not a family at all lol, they are just happen to wear the same clothes, similar make up etc, and their height kind of matched, except their "mother" she was a bit taller then them, but not by much.
    They were looking good too, to give some more detail about them :D

• It's true, I also never liked trends

• Yeah, I also happen to have a hard spot for popular things and I take the fact that they are "good" with a grain of salt.

Minecraft is not the best game ever. There are so many better games out there. Minecraft lacks content. It has a good idea but poor execution.

• Oh and Skyrim is okay, but it's not "the best thing ever"

• http://cdn.meme.am/instances/53280992.jpg

$10 you're a basic white girl :D

• before you monkeys start yelling at me for whatever reason, it's a joke and having fun. it's not a dick, stop taking it so hard and remember to apply your butthurt cream beforehand

• Thanks for reading !

• Agreed, same reason I don't like labeling myself either. There's some people who jump on every trend possible and I see right through it. It's pathetic. It's like whenever they like something that's popular or trendy that it defines them somehow.

• I'm not one that follows trends. That's why I would never live in a subdivision because all their houses look the same and that's annoying.

• You sound like one of those girls that specifically chooses to do something just because it is different from everyone else. So you can feel superior, with your individuality.

• I clearly stated I only do some thing if I like it , not it's because what's "hot"

• I also am different because I do what I like. It doesn't necessarily have to be "in".
      Doing your own thing is having a sense of self. It has nothing to do with feeling superior.

• The issue is, if one completely follows a trend, that person true authenticity is diminished!

• Gotta love this world haha.
    Good Take yea.

• But the nature of a social species, the societies contained therein, and the boundaries, rights and liberties afforded to it's citizens are defined solely by it's trends.

• "Why I Dislike Trends"
    Because you are not a follower?

• I like trends. They give a sense of belonging.

• disliking is a trend

• Disliking because others do would be a trend (because I am following ).
      However disliking because I don't agree with something isn't because I am allowing myself to lead not copy others.

• brb creating disliking trends trend

• I have always hated trends and don't think I hae followed any since childhood. (pokemon/yo-yos/crazy bones) Those may have been more fads than trends, not that I know the difference.

There have been times when I liked certain things that happened to intersect with trends, but it would make me dislike what I was doing for that reason... For instance the undercut. Now I hate having it because it is such a trend.

I always just try to be myself, and I don't care what is in or not, if I like it, then I like it and I'll wear it/do it.

I usually spot a trend a mile away and I am more of a trend setter than a follower.

I don't have facebook, twitter, instagram, TV, don't read magazine's, don't follow celebrities, so I am out of he loop (purposefully) most of the time. Ya, I am the shit. Slash not at all.

• oh shit a societal person who is not completely retarded. i'm shocked!

What Girls Said 7

• I don't like trends but I like a certain style! Although I don't have the money to pull it off.

• I completely agree. It's one thing to find interest in some but when you're at a place where you don't know what you like ( like high school aged and younger) it's understandable. Trends can be fun but when you find your self going out of your way to keep up with them theyre not fun anymore and you're now just a sheep following the herd as opposed to just doing what comes naturally to you.

• I totally agree with this 120%. I love being my own person. I can never fit in anyways, and I honestly don't want to. The people I'm friends with each have their own crazy but loveable unique personalities, just like I do.

• very true!!! great take

• Awesome mytake!! very true!!

• I hate trends too, I never follow it.
    Besides it kinda makes everything boring, I don't like that almost every guy has same hair cut, it makes it hard to distinguish between who is who.

• The only thing I see wrong with trends is when it comes to apperance. One day people will care less about hourglass figures and on clerk eyebrows, just look at histortical fashion trends and/or preferred body shapes. Being obese used to be attractive because it showed that you were wealthy. Anyway apperance trends can be dangerous for people who don't originally have those features.