Do you even troll?

Do you even troll?

This is going to be a short take but I do think it's necessary to define what a troll is. A troll is simply someone who says something for the sake of causing a stir. Trolls get a kick out of messing with people because it is fun watching everyone get riled up. A troll is not someone who says an unpopular opinion, a troll is not someone who has strong beliefs that go against the norms, a troll isn't even a miserable person.

Trolls say things for entertainment purposes. Too often I've seen people on GAG, Facebook, YouTube, or any other outlet for opinions call someone a troll simply because they didn't like what was said. People shouldn't have to shy away from sharing their thoughts on a controversial topic. Why? Beause they're their thoughts. Someone not liking them is never going to change their thoughts, so why bother becoming aggressive? Surely they might not think the way most people do, some would even say their thinking is outrageous, but nonetheless it is their thinking and it being odd doesn't make their views any less important or valid.

People need to understand that the billions of people on the planet, or even the millions in their country aren't going to be right about everything. The rest of a society might have the same views on certain subjects but it doesn't mean that society is right. Trying to silence the voices of people who speak out is counterproductive. You might not like what they say, but attacking them and insulting them in hopes of them admitting you were "correct" achieves absolutely nothing.

Trolls do things because controversy is fun. However, not everything controversial is put out there for that purpose.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• What do you call someone who says things half for entertainment and half because they're genuinely interested in seeing how it plays out in terms of reactions?

• I really don't trolling when I go against people opinions coz that's not the most funny part of trolling.

• I have a few times. It's funny because people take you seriously. I once said I didn't believe there was such a thing as the female orgasm and this guy went off, telling me how stupid I was. lol

• You made a good point there, but some trolls just doesn't use words. For example, in adventure quest one can dance behind a player and make it look nasty. Trolls are annoying in a number of ways, and even in real life they are.

A troll can spread rumors about you. It doesn't end in how annoying they can be, especially when you have a counter troll.

• no. because it is juvenile and just ignorant.
    anyone that does it has the lowest iq there is on the planet.
    what part of it do you think is fun or funny?
    just pathetic

• ...„„-~--~„-„„_
    ...„-^*'' : : „'' : : : : '*-„
    ...„-* : : :„„--/ : : : : : : : ')
    .../ : : „-* . . : : : : : : : : '
    .../ : „-* . . . : : : : : : : :
    ...(„-*. . . . . . : : : : : : : :'
    .../ . . . . . . ' : : : : : : : :
    .../ . . . . . . . .'\ : : : : : : :
    .../ . . . . . . . . . .\ : : : : : : :
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . '\ : : : : : )
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . *-„„„„-*'
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'./
    .../ . . . . . . ./ ./ . . . . . . .
    ../ . . . . . . / .'/ . . . . . . .'
    ./ . . . . . ./ . / . . . . . . . '
    '/ . . . . . /. . /. . . . . . . .'
    ' . . . . . \ . .\. . . . . . . .
    ' . . . . . . \„_^- „ . . . . '
    ' . . . . . . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ .
    . . . . . . . . . . \ .'' / . .'
    . . . . . . . . . . / .'/ . . .
    . . . . . . . . . ./ ./ . . .
    . . . . . . . . . /. / . . . .|

u mad brah?

• I respect trolls lol they get me erry time

• Yea I agree that the word troll is often misused. Besides people expressing their own controversial view, there are a couple of other things that are not trolling. Playing devils advocate is not trolling. Devils advocate has a legitimate purpose. Also, intentionally saying controversial things that you don't actually believe is not necessarily trolling either. That can be done legitimately to see how people will react, and solicit opinions and debate.

There was a time not all that long ago when trolls were immediately banned from web sites. That's not done any more for a couple of reason. First, trolling has become somewhat accepted. Second, it seems like site owners and mods want to be "fair". They think a troll is innocent until proven guilty. But that's nonsense. It's a private site and they can ban people for any reason they want. If somebody causes too much of a stir they can be banned whether the person is intentionally trolling or not. I remember sites where if a mod thought a post was a troll, the poster was banned within minutes, or a few hours at the most. If the person really wasn't trolling, they could start a new account and try to do better next time.

• Never... And I've never even thought about it as something to do until I read this. I'd rather work on a project, study something, create something new, play music, meet new people. I think being ingenious, lying about something to see a reaction is rude and not even worthy of consideration. Since I do not lie to people, this option of sadistic amusement is just not possible for me. If I see someone else doing this, I think it's not worth even talking to that person.

• About time someone said this.

• trolling is gr8

• I pretend i was AFK In a Skype call with my friends playing Club Penguin then i start to stalk him with my second account because he start to tell where he at lol

• I love trolling Tinder with kinky sex talk! And surprisingly a lot of girls don't realize this and play along (or perhaps they even want to play along)! Win win for me!!

• I'm just trying to entertain you. Is that so very wrong?

• Nope I don't troll on purpose.

• Mmmmm I pitch and catch for both sides... oh and i have this license
    wwcdn.weddingwire.com/.../...rolllicenselabake.jpg

• 3|4
  • I hate trolls, they are so pathetic.

• Yeah you're right they are 😈

• @DivaMonae I think I trolled this pretty brilliantly. :)

• No need to convince me I'm fully aware 😒

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 12

• Nah, I don't troll. And let's hope you don't ignore this.

• I have been to troll around the Internet from time to time 👍🏼😎🤓🤗

• Aw! Keep trolling! lol

• True. On GaG we feed the trolls just as often as we call them out. And we have so many, sometimes people with different opinions are labeled trolls.

• I don't think I am a troll but I have been called an idiotic troll by a few GAGers in the past. Haha.

• I have to admit trolling can be pretty fun but I do know where to draw the line lol

• i troll n will continue to some of these questions people throw out to begin with are just troling... kinda like one i came across last night... what u wearing and what u doing... lmaoo realllyy?

• I actually don't have much of a problem with trolls. They kinda keep things amusing in the cyber world. And it's also kinda fun to argue with them... sometimes.

• Nah trolling ain't my thing :)

• Tl;dr: Do it for the lulz. Do it for all the lulz.

• It's not trolling if you actually believe what you're saying.