Do you even troll?

Do you even troll?

This is going to be a short take but I do think it's necessary to define what a troll is. A troll is simply someone who says something for the sake of causing a stir. Trolls get a kick out of messing with people because it is fun watching everyone get riled up. A troll is not someone who says an unpopular opinion, a troll is not someone who has strong beliefs that go against the norms, a troll isn't even a miserable person.

Trolls say things for entertainment purposes. Too often I've seen people on GAG, Facebook, YouTube, or any other outlet for opinions call someone a troll simply because they didn't like what was said. People shouldn't have to shy away from sharing their thoughts on a controversial topic. Why? Beause they're their thoughts. Someone not liking them is never going to change their thoughts, so why bother becoming aggressive? Surely they might not think the way most people do, some would even say their thinking is outrageous, but nonetheless it is their thinking and it being odd doesn't make their views any less important or valid.

People need to understand that the billions of people on the planet, or even the millions in their country aren't going to be right about everything. The rest of a society might have the same views on certain subjects but it doesn't mean that society is right. Trying to silence the voices of people who speak out is counterproductive. You might not like what they say, but attacking them and insulting them in hopes of them admitting you were "correct" achieves absolutely nothing.

Trolls do things because controversy is fun. However, not everything controversial is put out there for that purpose.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 26

• Yea I agree that the word troll is often misused. Besides people expressing their own controversial view, there are a couple of other things that are not trolling. Playing devils advocate is not trolling. Devils advocate has a legitimate purpose. Also, intentionally saying controversial things that you don't actually believe is not necessarily trolling either. That can be done legitimately to see how people will react, and solicit opinions and debate.

There was a time not all that long ago when trolls were immediately banned from web sites. That's not done any more for a couple of reason. First, trolling has become somewhat accepted. Second, it seems like site owners and mods want to be "fair". They think a troll is innocent until proven guilty. But that's nonsense. It's a private site and they can ban people for any reason they want. If somebody causes too much of a stir they can be banned whether the person is intentionally trolling or not. I remember sites where if a mod thought a post was a troll, the poster was banned within minutes, or a few hours at the most. If the person really wasn't trolling, they could start a new account and try to do better next time.

• 3|4
  • Never... And I've never even thought about it as something to do until I read this. I'd rather work on a project, study something, create something new, play music, meet new people. I think being ingenious, lying about something to see a reaction is rude and not even worthy of consideration. Since I do not lie to people, this option of sadistic amusement is just not possible for me. If I see someone else doing this, I think it's not worth even talking to that person.

• To me, to troll on the internet is to start flaming discussions, things said deliberately to piss someone else off or annoy them just for the sake of having some good laughs.

Controversial things could be very well in the category of racist posts, subject and topics relevant to to religious and political discussions, or some other controversial things said to get other users' attention.

The trick is to deal with internet trolls Not feed the trolls and just ignore them. Sometimes you could report them to a moderator or the web administrator if they are causing too many problems on the forums, etc.

There's also trolls in online gaming. I've seen some videos of them on YouTube. I think some of them did some really unbelievably annoying things such as hacking and cheating in online multiplayer games.

I sure bet they were laughing their asses off pissing off and fucking with everyone in every match that they could. I'm sure they had their fun abusing hacks all to ruin other players experience.

• Well yeah a troll is there to mess with people, but the point is that just because someone says something that might piss a few people off doesn't mean they're trolling. Trolls say things to deliberately cause a stir and get a response. An unpopular opinion that just happens to have the same effect doesn't mean that person is a troll.

• I didn't see where you were going with this until the second paragraph in, but yes. Glad that we can agree that disagreeing is alright.

Too many fanatics around now days...

• I can see that. It is a very short take haha. But yeah you're right, too many fanatics indeed.

• Mmmmm I pitch and catch for both sides... oh and i have this license
    wwcdn.weddingwire.com/.../...rolllicenselabake.jpg

• no. because it is juvenile and just ignorant.
    anyone that does it has the lowest iq there is on the planet.
    what part of it do you think is fun or funny?
    just pathetic

• You made a good point there, but some trolls just doesn't use words. For example, in adventure quest one can dance behind a player and make it look nasty. Trolls are annoying in a number of ways, and even in real life they are.

A troll can spread rumors about you. It doesn't end in how annoying they can be, especially when you have a counter troll.

• ...„„-~--~„-„„_
    ...„-^*'' : : „'' : : : : '*-„
    ...„-* : : :„„--/ : : : : : : : ')
    .../ : : „-* . . : : : : : : : : '
    .../ : „-* . . . : : : : : : : :
    ...(„-*. . . . . . : : : : : : : :'
    .../ . . . . . . ' : : : : : : : :
    .../ . . . . . . . .'\ : : : : : : :
    .../ . . . . . . . . . .\ : : : : : : :
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . '\ : : : : : )
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . *-„„„„-*'
    .../ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'./
    .../ . . . . . . ./ ./ . . . . . . .
    ../ . . . . . . / .'/ . . . . . . .'
    ./ . . . . . ./ . / . . . . . . . '
    '/ . . . . . /. . /. . . . . . . .'
    ' . . . . . \ . .\. . . . . . . .
    ' . . . . . . \„_^- „ . . . . '
    ' . . . . . . . . .'\ .\ ./ '/ .
    . . . . . . . . . . \ .'' / . .'
    . . . . . . . . . . / .'/ . . .
    . . . . . . . . . ./ ./ . . .
    . . . . . . . . . /. / . . . .|

u mad brah?

• Do I even troll? Bitch please... (no offense)

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1902216-i-have-a-confession-to-make-i-have-cheated-should-i-feel-bad

It's closed, but feel free to leave your answer as a reply to an opinion if you feel like commenting...

• Lmbo, I knew it was going to be something in the classroom. I thought you were describing the girl who's test you were gonna cheat off of. xD

• Ahhh damn it!! I was hesitant about the bag thing, but how did you not picture a café?
      It was all supposed to be in a café !!

• I sort of imagined one but when you were talking about her papers and stuff I sort of figured it wasn't going to be that. Also, keep in mind your comment you've left that linked me to it basically told me your post was going to be a troll, so it sort of shaped my mindset while reading lol.

• Do you even troll? You ask me?
    I didn't even read this take.

• I really don't trolling when I go against people opinions coz that's not the most funny part of trolling.

• Nope I don't troll on purpose.

• I respect trolls lol they get me erry time

• About time someone said this.

• I pretend i was AFK In a Skype call with my friends playing Club Penguin then i start to stalk him with my second account because he start to tell where he at lol

• I'm just trying to entertain you. Is that so very wrong?

• trolling is gr8

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 12

• True. On GaG we feed the trolls just as often as we call them out. And we have so many, sometimes people with different opinions are labeled trolls.

• I have been to troll around the Internet from time to time 👍🏼😎🤓🤗

• I don't think I am a troll but I have been called an idiotic troll by a few GAGers in the past. Haha.

• Tl;dr: Do it for the lulz. Do it for all the lulz.

• I actually don't have much of a problem with trolls. They kinda keep things amusing in the cyber world. And it's also kinda fun to argue with them... sometimes.

• Nah trolling ain't my thing :)

• It's not trolling if you actually believe what you're saying.

• Aw! Keep trolling! lol

• i troll n will continue to some of these questions people throw out to begin with are just troling... kinda like one i came across last night... what u wearing and what u doing... lmaoo realllyy?

• Nah, I don't troll. And let's hope you don't ignore this.

• I have to admit trolling can be pretty fun but I do know where to draw the line lol