Gaston Might Be The Worst Disney Villain Because We All Know One In Real Life

Gaston might be the worst Disney villain because we all know one in real life

I have seen one too many articles about how Gaston is alright and Belle is a bitch because she didn't reciprocate feelings for him, I got sick of it and now I am writing this.

In high school and college I knew plenty of Gastons. They are arrogant, extremely persistent, may have a if I can't have her no one can mindset, can't take no for an answer, etc. Think about it. In high school he is like the overconfident jock who bullies the nerds because they are different yet refuses to try and understand them.

When Gaston corners Belle into a surprise wedding, he's that guy at Applebee's trying to get your number even though you said no. When Gaston tells Belle that reading is stupid, he's that guy at your community college trying to chat you up while you're busy reading while everyone else is on their phones. When you are not invested into the conversation as much as he is, he gets pissed and walks away. When Gaston talks about how he must have Belle because of her distinct beauty, he's that guy that's "87 percent enemy" with you on OkCupid yet messages you saying you're gorgeous. He annoys you day after day, and finally after a week of no responses, calls you a bitch and states he "doesn't date _______ chicks anyway."

These are the Gastons of the world, they are very tangible entities. Gaston never wanted Belle to complete him, but he saw her as a trophy. And it is important for us to take a page from Belle and not tolerate any of that shit.

I say might because Disney has a lot of sadistic villains. Hans was a sociopathic murderer, Dr. Facilier was cold, calculating and never let his emotions get in the way, Gothel was abusive and manipulative and there are many others. Now at the end of the movie, Beast redeems himself, while Gaston solidifies his narcissistic personality. The final battle. Beast redeems himself by showing Gaston mercy. While Gaston, blinded by his ego and narcissism, wants to kill an animal that just showed him mercy.

Personally, I think he is one of the worst Disney villains because we all know one in real life. Let's be honest ladies we all know a guy that just makes us go, oh god not him again. I have a sudden urge to watch this movie especially since it has such a deeper meaning than "LOL Stockholm syndrome"

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 23

• Gaston is a poorly written character unless you're a kid. The simple reality is, that someone who has achieved that well--wouldn't really care that much if Belle rejected him, nor would he go out pursuing girls. He already showed he had good skill as a hunter, dedication to physical fitness, and was a popular figure in town. Someone like that isn't going to bother arranging a surprise wedding to try to force a marriage. He might have given one or two attempts to see Bella, and then forgotten about her when she didn't seem interested.

• Great take. He does sound a lot like the jocks in high school mixed with Kayne West and Donald Trump. Yet has the sociopathic tendencies of Charles Manson. Belle wasn't interested and he should have saw that, but because of his ego and the fact that he was probably using his ego to compensate for something (if ya know what I mean ) made him insecure and a jerk.

• Charles Manson got a lot of girls...

Even now some twentysomething cutie wants to marry his seventy+ sick ass.

• There is a girl who last year wanted to marry him; he turned her down. How messed up in the head do you have to be for a lifer fifty years older than you to reject you?

• @zagor good point. I don't see what his appeal was anyway

• Lol @consultantisback are you the gag Gaston ( I kid of course )

• I am such a Gaston lol

• Except for the fact that i don't get butt hurt when i am rejected. Rejection does suck though :(

• That dude was such a dick!! He got his ass handed to him as he should of.

• Just by reading this, I start having some strange flashbacks. I now realized I used to be a Gaston. Now, I actually change my old ways because I know it won't help me out.

• Guys like him I feel like punching in the face

• I mean most of the personality traits you've described about him do seem to fit (it's been awhile since i've seen the movie).
    However, didn't Gaston lead a posse to invade a castle stronghold to rescue her from the monstrous beast that had kidnapped her and held her hostage? And try to take on the beast singlehandedly?

• Belle is still pretty sick for choosing a furry animal over a human being. Can we say "beastiality" reference?

• Are you kidding? I think Gaston's one of the BEST Disney villains ever, since he represents real life villains more.

I'm sick of seeing the stereotypical villain being ugly and hated. Gaston is far from that, he's handsome, athletic, and the town hero.

It's like that with most of the bullies that I've seen. Bullies are often portrayed as dumb and ugly, when in reality, most of the bullies that I've met aren't like that. Most of them were attractive, star athletes, and (believe it or not), very excellent students. The "all-American hero" type of bullies were the ones that I had to deal with a lot, since they'd make fun of me for not being able to play football, basketball, and baseball, and they'd also brag about having better grades.

• That's why he is the worst because we all know one in real life. I knew a bunch of Gastons in my high school PE class who took dodgeball really seriously and made fun of people who were bad at sports like me. I used to intentionally get my out in dodgeball so I would not be last and be nailed by a stream of foam balls coming at me a hundred miles an hour. Just like the much hated villain from Harry Potter, professor Umbridge people hate her more than Voldemort because we all know one

• Well, not me. I like how he represents our reality better than more stereotypical ones like Maleficent.

• I don't even know why I'm reading this.

• Belle would only be a bitch if she 1) creepshamed him for a humble, friendly gesture, 2) turned him down when so did everyone else, 3) nobody else would give him the time of day, 4) he'd genuinely been kind to her, and 5) he didn't display Dan Savage levels of vanity and Charles Manson levels of brutality.

Gaston acted proud of the fact that every single ho in the city was ready to give him a discount on services. But that wasn't enough. Like the men of Sodom who wouldn't be satisfied until they had raped angels, or the activist lobbies of today who will not be satisfied until that ONE SPECIFIC chapel, county court clerk, or chapel in Idaho gives in to their demands, Gaston would not be content until he had added Belle to his list of conquests.

The fact that she was a hipster before most of us even knew what hipsters were, along with her first rejection (which was much more direct than you see girls make today, while still not being soul-crushingly rude), wasn't enough to clue him in that maybe he should choose from one of the hundreds of other girls who wanted the D from him. Then again, he wasn't entirely wrong to see the value in Belle. She had a soul. She wasn't a Basic Bitch, even though he was just a few drama king points away from being a Basic Bro.

To be fair, Belle would be much more sympathetic if she were half as dedicated to helping the villagers as she were to fixing everything that was messed up at the castle. Instead, she says: "Oh, you're a talking teapot! Awesome!" in the castle and to the villagers, she's all like: "F* you, you bore me."

The most sympathetic character in that whole movie is either Chip or Maurice. Chip didn't deserve to become a teacup. That enchantress is just a bitch and doesn't care. As for Maurice: he genuinely wanted to improve the world. But didn't understand there are certain things you need to do to protect yourself in the woods.

• I never knew people liked him, I always hated him

• I'll play Devil's Advocate for Gaston, for the lulz.

Strip out all the anti-Semitism and crowd-singing in the setting and what are you left with? You have an inventor father that all the villagers assume is mad (which he is) and his introvert daughter who the local tough-guy is attracted to. Gaston sees that Belle's father is a fruitcake, assumes that its because of his influence that is making Belle retreat into books instead of interacting with people and tries to solve it as best he can.

Yeah, he's a dick. Yeah, he's a chauvinist. Yeah, he's about as sensitive as a pig. But the guy makes an effort to get to know her despite failing at it miserably.

And then Belle gets captured by the local monster. What's the first thing her father does? He tries to get help, ranting and raving instead of trying to appeal to some sort of logic the locals can understand. And, because he has the rep of being crazy, he gets locked away. Gaston, then tries to save Belle himself, rounding up a posse of dudes to storm the castle, unaware of the situation she's in, of the friends she's made and her relationship to the Beast.

Things go badly after the posse encounters "HOLY SHIT, WITCHCRAFT!!" and Gaston takes the fight up to the roof, attempting to slay the Beast and rescue the girl, who's clearly suffering from Stockholm's Syndrome at this point. Or bewitchment, because holy shit, magic is real! But Gaston loses, the Beast shows mercy, Belle has both of their attention, and he tries again to end the fight. He winds up falling to his death trying to get the girl to safety.

Now in any other Disney story, what would've happened given the prior scenario? Gaston wins, the Beast dies, evil magic vanquishes under pure-hearted human nobility, and Belle lives happily ever after with a dude that made some serious effort to help and understand her.

• You say retreat into books instead of interacting with people like its a bad thing.

• And add the fact that everyone was giving Gaston the odd look for going after the mad-inventor's daughter when clearly he's got dull-witted women falling over themselves trying to get his attention.

And Gaston's attracted to the one smart woman in the movie. Makes you wonder, huh?

• This was a very interesting read, I have to say.

• Someone said she'd accept his proposal if she was Belle. 😳

• The beast kidnapped Belle, and even physically attacked her at one point. Gaston going after a monster that has a history of violence and kidnapping is completely reasonable. I am not saying Gaston was a saint, but he certainly wasn't the worst Disney villain. In fact Gaston is loved by pretty much everyone in the town.

• I was waiting for a gaston supporter to show up. Welcome to the party even though you're late. Did you even read the article? Or about how he redeemed himself? Or did you even watch the movie?

• There was no need for that type of response.

• I am not the nicest person if you haven't noticed and am brutally honest

• I haven't' seen anyone say he deserves belle. It's easy for a lot of us to dislike him because we were bookish and he was the sort of jock who was admired and we got along terribly with.

The articles you link make the point that the way the story is presented makes us ignore the Beast's mistakes while focusing on Gaston's negatives, and objectively, it's really unclear that one is better than the other.

The real point of those articles though is less to love Gaston and more question why we like Beast (and Belle) so much.

And I think there is something to learn from that... because the media does the same thing, presenting people as the good one or bad one, and it's -so damn easy- for us to simply buy that.

That said, people like to just take contrarian viewpoints for fun. There are lots of fine blogs about how star wars is the story of a young orphan being brainwashed to joining an extremist cult and carrying out a suicide attack to destabilize society.

As for beauty and the best, the most entertaining analysis I've read was one that pointed out that actually, Gaston was too much of a wuss for Belle. She needed a literal half man-half monster to get turned on. She doesn't like the beast because he's nicer or better than Gaston, she likes him because he's even more dangerous.

How exactly does beast redeem himself?

• Yeah, b-but:

Belle is the most beaaauuutiful girl in town! That makes her the best! And doesn't he deserve the best? :P

• Oh by the way, thank you for writing this article; it reminded me of this awesome movie! Well I have it on Blu-Ray/DVD --- and VHS xD --- so I know the movie well, but the thought of Gaston still always cracks me up, so thank you. :D

I have to say Gaston is probably my favorite Disney villain because he's one of the ultimate douchey assholes in fiction. xD The ultimate example of the kind of dude that nice/good guys really wish girls wouldn't like, hahaha. He is so over-the-top that I can't help laughing when I watch it.

And The Beast is my favorite male Disney character, because of how messed-up and conflicted with himself he is throughout the movie. xD Personality-wise, he's probably one of the most relatable Disney heroes out there, for any guy who has ever struggled to improve himself even when he knows that he has only limited time and chances to make something happen.

• Oh and nice touch mentioning the mercy scene at the end too; it wasn't until I was a bit older that I realized that it was The Enchantress' musical theme that replayed at that moment, as if to show the audience that The Beast suddenly remembered himself when he saw Gaston begging for mercy. The Beast, too, begged for mercy once upon a time, but was not given another chance. And so it showed how much The Beast had grown from his mistakes and experiences, that he did not turn around and do the same thing to another man.

• And yet women would still line up.

• LOL so true

• Ugh I remember in high school some girl said i don't like beauty and the beast. It's about Stockholm syndrome we need Disney movies to teach girls a good message. It took everything in me to not walk across the room and smack her.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 11

• Damn it! Now I have the song playing in my head!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gZ0OgA_8G0

• You can also say about Gaston is that he abusive, throughtout the movie he wouldn't let Belle alone and couldn't take no for a answer. So you can say he abusive and controlling.

• Frolo from the hunchback of Norte dame.

He's a psychomurderpervapreist and does awful things in the name of gawd with his holier than thou bullshit.

• Good job expressing everything I have ever thought about this, my favorite, Disney movie.

• I learned just as much from the comments as from the article.

The way the movie shows it, Gaston seems to view her as his property. That said, I hadn't thought about him leading villagers to try to rescue her. It's not like he wanted the castle and whatever treasure was there for himself. He just wanted her.

It sounds like he was so used to being told that he was amazing because he was successful at x y and z that he didn't understand why he was failing with her. Maybe he saw himself as better than the villagers and didn't understand why she didn't agree.

To be honest the beast didn't have all that much more to offer, other than making an effort to change and actually knowing how to read. Basically everyone in that story seemed kind of blah except Cogsworth (who tried to keep things going and in order) and Belle.

• Although I have to say I lost pity for him when he locked up her father.

• This is SO going on Reddit! Good job! 👍🏻👏🏻❤️

• Gaston is a lustful pig. End of story. If Belle God fobid got involved with him, all hell would break loose. Plus how is Belle a B? Did they forget that he is surrounded by other girls constantly? Morons!

• Lmao this is soooo True!!! I gotta pee!

• Gaston was the shit. He was one of my favorite villains.

• Gaston is secretly gay lol...

• Love this 💖 Beauty and the Beast is my fave